Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 18 January, 2010, 08:16:02 AM
Libraries being a wonderful resource normally have an ordering service whereby if you request something if its availabel they'll get it in. Talk to the best resource in your library the staff hopefully they'll help out?

Oh, I know I know, the thought has occurred to me. I'm just one of those quiet types who prefers to find what I can just by myself and only ask help from people if I absolutely have to. I dislike bothering people, even if it is their job being all resourceful like. ;)

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 15 January, 2010, 11:14:27 PM
Reading Atrocity Exhibition for the first time. I liked the song better.[dullard off]

So it's not filling you with a desire to fuck Ronald Reagan?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Roger Godpleton

I'd rather fuck you, darling.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 18 January, 2010, 10:36:02 PM
I'd rather fuck you, darling.

Well it's not as if Stevie hasn't heard that before. We've all our own cross to bear bebe  ;)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Roger Godpleton

Your mom was really bearing my cross for 8 hours straight.

I, Cosh

After a three year break I bought the third volume of Promethea last week so I've been rereading the first two. Just finished the shagging issue. JH Williams is the best artist working of the comics today.
We never really die.

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 15 January, 2010, 11:14:27 PM
Reading Atrocity Exhibition for the first time. I liked the song better.[dullard off]

I liked Atrocity Exhibition better the second time around after I'd read a good chunk of Ballard. The first time it felt sort of willfully obscure. The second time it felt like I was reviewing everything he'd written through some beautiful fugue. If that makes any sense. Probably not, eh?

I wish we could get it in the States without the annotations. It's hard to find a plain jane copy here.

Ignatzmonster

Read a fuck ton of black and white comics over the weekend. Mostly because I just love a good black and white (which tooth is always good for), but also because I've been slogging through a huge stack of superhero comics my brother left behind when he stayed over for the holidays. Last week I spent many an hour with Marvel and I think I needed to get the taste out of my mouth.

The Marquis: Danse Macabre by Guy Davis. I had some trepidation at the beginning because the first issue is heavy on the exposition but once it gets going it's pretty amazing. A disturbing world and just amazing design all over the comic in every tiny detail. If there is a better artist of monsters I'm open for debate, but I think Davis takes the prize every time.

Eddy Current (Ted Mckeever Library): Very much a period piece in a good way. It belongs next to Dark Knight Returns, Electra Assassin, and Ed the Happy Clown as an interesting reflection of late Eighties America.

Torpedo by Abuli/Bernet: A mean, vicious little crime comic. Just great. Alex Toth actually draws the first two stories, but apparently US comics had not prepared him for Abuli's sense of humor and he left in a huff. He should have stayed to avoid being blown out of the water by Bernet. Some of the best work by one of the best artists alive.

TordelBack

In the middle of Chabon's outstanding short/novella The Final Solution.  Now that's good fanfic!

wild-seven

Just finished Charlie Brooker's 'The hell of it all' - the man is solid gold and I think I'm beginning to nurse a rather unhealthy crush on him  :o

Also my copy of 'Amerika' arrived this morning - yay, yay and thrice yay! This after pre-ordering it from Amazon and then being sent and e-mail telling me they couldn't get hold of any copys. Which TOTALLY explains how they're selling them now....
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Richmond Clements

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 18 January, 2010, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: His Lordship rac on 18 January, 2010, 10:23:16 AM
Well, the end of Game of Thrones..!

I had expected the [spoiler]dragon eggs hatching[/spoiler] to be the Big Event at the end of book 2... shows what I know.

Started reading Al Ewing's I, Zombie. Great so far!

I, Zombie is a quality read, Rac, it's absolutely mental! Drop a line on here when you've finished it, I can guarantee you'll not see any of the end stuff coming :-)

And you were correct.
I'd like to complain that the title ofthis book was a little bit misleading...
I enjoyed El Sombra- but this was a different kettle of fish. I honestly can't remember the last time I have read anything as original as this book.

Dog Deever

Someone at work recommended a novel to me today- I forget what it was:
"Oh, I think you'd like this... blah blah blah"
"Has it got pictures and speech bubbles?"
"Eh?"
"Fuck off then- I'll hate it for sure"

I enjoyed Peter Milligan's 'The Programme' so much that I got book 2. It's great.
Some top art in there too.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

vzzbux

Republic Commando : Order 66

Just started this one.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Christov

The Question: Poisoned Ground.

I found myself in the comic shop with £13 to spare, so...

Roger Godpleton

I paid £3 for my copy. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.