Main Menu

how old is dredd?

Started by morrison, 22 January, 2003, 07:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. R. Logan

Dredd's age, now there's a question. Cloned in 2066, age accelerated to 5 so in 2066 hes born but also 5 years old, so making him 59/55, rejuved after Necropolis so work it out depending on your view of mega-city technology, I go for the 50ish end of the scale.

But who really cares, as long as he appears each week and wagner still delivers the goods I couldn't give a stuff if he's 150.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/693.jpg">

morrison

Personally i would love to see Dredd take the long walk after all Mcgruder did it and she came back ,so return to the big meg is posible

WoD

I guess it's possible for someone to undertake the 'body-swap' process without his agreement.  Then destroy his body so that they have no choice but to body-swap him back in to a clone body.  This would give him an extra 20-30 or so years I guess.  

Just need a reason for the body swap, some deep under cover investigation that requires it or maybe a loan crackpot acting on the justice departments 'best interests'.  We could even have one of the 'Oh my God, Dredd's been killed' scenes, only to have him brought pack in the next prog or so.

WoD.

Tex Hex

What if they did a mind swap thing and, for mercys sake gave his old body a new personality and sent him off to some planet somewhere. But, right, something....GOES WRONG!! Oh the drama!!

Ill shut up.

WoD

Queen Firey-Bou

El Spurioso

Caliber -

I was wondering earlier..  What will mongoose do if/when Wagner decides to write something that goes against the details of the RPG? I'm not having a pop here, btw, I'm just intrigued.  We all know Wagner - all Dredd's various writers, really - have had a fairly liberal view towards continuity (ie: it doesn't matter half as much as the story), so if Mr W goes and writes a brilliant story that utterly contradicts something in the source-books you chaps have come-up with.. what happens?

Bart Oliver

Does anyone recall the episode of Red Razors where Razors flips out and reverts to his former criminal self.
 I seem to remember they bought a Dredd- if not the Dredd out of suspended animation to bring him down.
I believe this was around 2176 so at some point before then the Mc1 justice dept must have seen fit to stash Joe in the deep freeze until such time as he was needed.
Obviously you're not a golfer.

Lobo Baggins

((I was wondering earlier.. What will mongoose do if/when Wagner decides to write something that goes against the details of the RPG? I'm not having a pop here, btw, I'm just intrigued. We all know Wagner - all Dredd's various writers, really - have had a fairly liberal view towards continuity (ie: it doesn't matter half as much as the story), so if Mr W goes and writes a brilliant story that utterly contradicts something in the source-books you chaps have come-up with.. what happens?))

Not a lot, I should think – the source book will have been contradicted by later developments in the comic continuity, which happens all the time with licensed role-playing games (Star Wars, for example).  We do try (and Rebellion make sure of this!) to be as faithful as possible to the established Dredd continuity, but if we had to stick exactly to what happened in the strip the books would be a bit short (there's only about ten stories set in the Undercity, almost all contradict each other and there's almost no detail of what it's actually like to live there, for example).  Frankly, I'm more concerned with trying to write something that works as a setting for an interesting scenario than trying to guess what Wagner might come up with next.  It would be up to the individual player/reader which version of events they wanted to use in their games.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

IndigoPrime

> internally, I reckon he's no different, or every judge would be getting rejuve treatment when they start turning grey

Devons Daddy

tomb of the judges.
judge gets encased in eygtain style tomb. goes stark staring mad.
epilogue to story. the judges body is used for a full body transplant for another good street judge who is injured in an incident that same day.
pretty sure this was a wagner script. wonderfully illustrated by gibson.
cant help but feel this was burried diamond to be used if wagner felt it needed to be in years to come for dredd.
it sets up a reasonable fact that this is not so uncommon in the big meg. revistied many times in differnt scripts.
it is fully justice dept sanctioned. makeing it a simple council of five descion.

wagner will retire dredd some day. but not yet. when he does im up for a clone replacement.
RICO may be just that.
let us be thankful pat mills is not involved.or he may take what did he say.
legal action to stop this kind of thing or words to that affect.
ok enough i wont snigger anymore.  
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

John Caliber

'What will mongoose do if/when Wagner decides to write something that goes against the details of the RPG?'

The comic is the main source of canon, so the RPG has to go with it. I don't expect the RPG will revise material that conflicts with canon, but would simply incorporate the new official continuity into future books as though the obsolete RPG continuity never happened.

- JC
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Bart Oliver

I remember tomb of the judges- classic Gibson!
Obviously you're not a golfer.