Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Nope. I don't think it's anything remotely like that.

I've actually worn a kilt and ruffled shirt in real life, for a start.

(I was a toddler at the time and it wasn't by choice, but still...)

I also currently have a haggis defrosting in the fridge.

von Boom

Quote from: M.I.K. on 31 October, 2018, 11:54:55 PM

I also currently have a haggis defrosting in the fridge.
That's a clear violation of the Geneva Convention.

TordelBack

I dunno man, context.  My impression would be that Scots (and Scot-adjacent) have been the backbone of the comic's creators and fan community since day one, if not an actual majority. A significant proportion of all humour in 2000AD has derived from the idea that Scottish people are usually incomprehensible. Gentle self-mockery in pretending not to know the correct term to use (as Zenith does with Eddie) doesn't really seem equivalent to racism or even offensive behaviour, in this context. Don't think any of us Irish object to being called micks or paddies here for much the same reason: it's a friendly,  jokey environment. (But don't try any of that Eire business, buddy do we hate that...)

CalHab

I don't think I'd argue that using the term is discriminatory or particularly offensive in this context.

Equally, I don't think I'd argue with the idea that repeatedly using it, despite being asked not to, is daft and unnecessary.

TordelBack

Have people asked for it not to be used here,  prior to this?  I wasn't aware of that.

TordelBack

Aaaand I've just realised I'm the guy explaining to offended people why they shouldn't be offended. And I never want to be that guy. So my apologies, I won't do it or defend it again.

I am genuinely surprised that fans of a comic where Scottish writers and artists gave us Middenface and Kenny Who? (among others) would be offended by an obviously intentionally-wrong 'Scotch' on this forum (as opposed to in the workplace or on the street), but that's my own ignorance: we all have to learn. 

CalHab

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 November, 2018, 09:07:33 AM
Have people asked for it not to be used here,  prior to this?  I wasn't aware of that.

I certainly have a sense of deja-vu about reading the above conversation. I may be mistaken or mixing up my forums (fora?), though. If so, my apologies.

For me , the use of "Scotch" above is a light-hearted reference to a well-loved character, and I understand that. I have also had someone use that term towards me in the past in a deliberate attempt to antagonise, offend and belittle. It's not something that comes without baggage.

Tjm86

Quote from: M.I.K. on 31 October, 2018, 10:36:20 PM
As a general rule, us Scottish folk don't really care what we're called, as long as it's not "English".

Not just those North of the Wall.  Same applies to the West of the Dike.

(although I do remember winding up one of the guys on the squadron out in Germany calling him a 'pseudo-trog' because he wasn't even a real Welshman.  The irony ... )

Proudhuff

personally I love this photo, makes me want to write a scotch version of Reservoir Dogs... Restalrig Dugs?

DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 November, 2018, 09:20:22 AM
Aaaand I've just realised I'm the guy explaining to offended people why they shouldn't be offended. And I never want to be that guy. So my apologies, I won't do it or defend it again. 

Thanks.  That really means a lot.

I just liken it to people shouting "GINGER" with hard Gs at someone with red hair.  And when the red-haired person says "Actually, that's a bit offensive", some people (Hi Frank!  Hi Proudhuff!) feel the need to shout "GINGER" even louder, whilst doing a little jig.  And then someone with red hair comes along (probably someone's Uncle Tom) and says "I don't mind people calling me GINGER.  It's just a bit of fun!"

I always thought fun was where anyone could join in.  Not where some people get to play Lord of the Manor and shout insults at the proles, who are supposed to doff their caps in reverence.  Fuck it.  I'll see you in the funny papers.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I never felt I was lord of any manor (I'm a broke Irishman who lives in a small boat), but fair enough. Never meant to be serious, and I didn't realise it upset people, so I won't say it in future.  My apologies.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Also, I have just managed to stop myself typing something like 'I'm sorry if people were offended', and in the process becoming the biggest gobshite in the world.
I apologise because what I said was offensive, and I'm going to take Funt's advice and catch myself on.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

M.I.K.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 November, 2018, 02:33:04 PM
I always thought fun was where anyone could join in.  Not where some people get to play Lord of the Manor and shout insults at the proles, who are supposed to doff their caps in reverence.  Fuck it.  I'll see you in the funny papers.

Nobody doffs their caps (or bunnets) around here. People usually join in by chucking insults right back at the insulter.

But, like other folk are saying, if you're personally offended by a word, then I'm not going to argue that it's not offensive.

(ye'll not get me to stop posting pictures of Groundskeeper Willie though, even if his accent is horrendously inaccurate)

Frank

This place is a pretty weird corner of the internet. Today, it expanded into the realm of the bizarre and ridiculous.

Tjm86

Nah, we did "bizarre and ridiculous" years ago.  Remember the iPod dairy product repair thread?

Mind you, I suppose it's a bit like the Platinum Horde.  "End of Bizarre and Ridiculous: 30 000 000 000 parsecs."