Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Congrats to those of you with the limited Tharg version on the way (me included - yay), he's a great start to the 2000AD line!

He was a limited version just to get the ball rolling; no idea of numbers - I said previously that 3A don't release numbers these days to avoid people buying-to-sell because of perceived rarity.  Anyway, all sold out in 48 minutes, and a lot of happy 2000AD fans at the end of it, I hope (and probably some new ones).

Next, 'Regular' version..?  Will keep posting any info I get here as usual!

One other thing:  Ash was very kind to UK-based 2000AD fans here - changing the release time from the usual 09:00 Hong Kong time (01:00 GMT) to a more friendly 10:00 GMT to honour the location of the Galaxy's Greatest*.

After Tharg - Mongrol and The Mess!

* Shafted me though as I'm still stuck in the US - 05:00 for me, but got the job done - although Ash kindly promised to put one aside for me if I couldn't make it on time.  Nice guy!

Banners

To have hyped up this product - and the line - both online and in the Prog for the past few months, it surely doesn't make much business sense to close orders after about an hour?

Presumably, given the lead time of delivery in June, the figures haven't been made yet - so why didn't they take a few more orders, bring their unit cost down and increase the profit margin (and/or reduce the price)? Even making these available for a few more days and selling more, the relatively low numbers will still make it "limited" and make more punters happy.

Alternatively, if they have been made and they simply underestimated demand (which is understandable), let's hope they are encouraged to release more figures - and that the next ones don't sell out so quickly(!)

M@

pauljholden

They've hyped them up so much that they're sold out in an hour? Some people would consider that a success :)

-pj

ming

Er, read the posts!

This was a limited initial run, 'regular' Tharg with a (much?) bigger run will follow soon.

Banners

Quote from: pauljholdenThey've hyped them up so much that they're sold out in an hour? Some people would consider that a success :)

Yup - it's a great success. I'm just narked I wasn't part of it(!)

;-)

M@

COMMANDO FORCES

Yes Banners, you just stand in line with the 'regular' people  ;)

Although I do agree with everything you said in your post about the unit costs and all that.

gronk guy

How many did you buy CF?

Any guesses as to how many were released?

I reckon 50 with CF buying 40 of them.

COMMANDO FORCES

I just went for the one, I've had a major Dredd/2000AD spend in the last month or so and even I have limits to my cash flow.
Saying that, I am watching 23 items on ebay but I'm only interested in 7 of them really  ::)

Banners

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCEScolor=blue]Yes Banners, you just stand in line with the 'regular' people  ;)

Yup, I was too busy umming-and-ahhing about it - that was my problem. Rest assured that if they ever make a Lulu Romanov figure there will be no such hesitation(!)

M@

Mikey

Quote from: ming on 20 April, 2010, 01:59:06 PM
Ash was very kind to UK-based 2000AD fans here - changing the release time from the usual 09:00 Hong Kong time (01:00 GMT) to a more friendly 10:00 GMT

Good man! I hope he can swing that for the rest! Although, I imagine any ABC 'bots produced will have a bigger fan base from the start, considering the WWR etc lines.

I hadn't actually heard of 3A until the 2000ad announcement; probably a good thing for the old wallet! The stuff I've seen is brilliant.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

COMMANDO FORCES

So as not to worry when the next release hits the 48 minute madness, I've put Bambaland into my phone.
I can relax now, just a bit!

ming

Latest word on Tharg from Ash:

"Another Tharg will happen later on, with current logo etc. Didnt think the demand would outweigh the supply so much...

with the 3A blog being down etc it really fucked with our promo of him, and Im sure many didnt even know he was going to sold yesterday etc, so I have any pissed chaps demanding a Tharg now..."

I hope we'll see the blue jumpsuit version down the line, but we'll see.  Anyway, hopefully enough people are happy with what they've seen of Tharg to make the next release a cracker!

COMMANDO FORCES

This bodes well for the amounts of figures that he produces in the 2000AD line, now that he knows how crazy we went yesterday morning.

By the way, thanks for keeping us all informed ming  :thumbsup:

Teivion

Its good to see the popularity- esp considering the amount of publicity over the launch was, well, 'limited' by anyone's book.
Truth be told, I wouldn't have known anything was happening if it wasn't for this thread- with 2000AD Online, Facebook and Twitter all failing to mention it.

Although numbers aren't released, Tharg was probably the least expected character as a first release, and probably a 'hmm maybe' for many, so the must-haveness of the next figure will be pretty spectacular...

How about a prog based competition to win the next figure?

Colin YNWA

Its funny not being a collector of toys Tharg is the figure I'm most interested in. I loved the idea of Tharg standing, overseeing my collection. The thing was I was struggling to justify the cost and bottled it. Its a real treat product for me and so a mad scramble al la Glastonbury tickets back in the day was the final nail in the coffin. When the next lot of Tharg's come around if they hang around a bit longer I think that nagging desire will get me in the end.