Main Menu

MAJOR SPOILERS: OT: Harry Potter

Started by ukdane, 22 June, 2003, 03:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

Can anyone tell me who (if anyone) died in the new HP book?

If you don't want to spoiler it here, and I think I've made it pretty clear in the subject heading that spoilers could be printed here, then please email me.

Cheers
Cheers

-Daney

karne

I very nearly posted a spoiler here early this morning after popping down to WH Smiths for their Harry Potter midnight opening and rapidly flicking through my copy to the chapter in question, before deciding not to just in case anyone couldn't resist looking.

Anyway there's an E-mail on it's way Dane. If anyone else wants to know drop me a line.

karne

Incidentally, I successfully predicted who was going to die when Jo Rowling announced there would be a death, but unfortunately didn't put an extremely large bet on it. Bugger!

Buddy

I really couldn't give a toss about Harry Potter. I tried reading the first book a few years ago, just to see what all the fuss was about, didn't get past the first page.

You may be thinking 'Oh but Umpty, you have to get into the story...let the characters grow...whatever...' sorry, but no. If a book don't grab my attention from the get go I can find other activities to spend what little free time I have on. That same year (it was at Christmas time) I started re-reading The Hitch-Hickers Guide To The Galaxy. Read it in one sitting - that is an entertaining book, right from page one and fully deserves my time.

I have an idea who dies (within my extreamly limited knoweledge of the characters), but don't really care.

Now, I'm not anti Harry Potter, J. K. Rowling (sp?) deserves everything she gets. To go from on the dole (or whatever the situation was) to multi-millionaire is quite a feat and I'm sure has inspired others to have a go at something similar (I'm still threatening to write that screenplay).

ukdane

I've never read the books either, and only saw the first movie the other day. I was just curious as to who she killed off.
Cheers

-Daney

Wils

I have it on good authority* that it's actually Harry she kills off and is planning for Ron and Hermione to complete the series in a Taggart stylee.

* schitzophrenic pixies who sit on my shoulder and whisper things into my ear

Slippery PD

From a purely critical viewpoint, Ive read the first two books to my kids, the problem with Potter is Potter himself.  He is rather dull.  Kinda similair to the point I made about buffy.

Consider he is born into a wizard family, has a huge amount of money but basically walks around completely dumbfounded by what he finds.  OK.  I know this is Roling's hook inot the world of magic but it does seem she chose the wrong person for the lead character.  Hermione, is corageous, a "muggle" and is actually "exciting".  Anyway, it just seems to me shes a better charcter than dull Harry.  Knowing my luck shes the one getting bumped off.

Yer Slippo

Richmond Clements

Well, I just finished it.
Really good book. But I think the third one is still the best.
As for the death...
She keeps us hanging on throughout the book, by putting each character into situations where you're thinking 'oh, this is it he or she is the one!'
So when it eventually comes, I have to say the death is a bit of an anti-climax. But I think I think that only because the character who dies is not one of my favorites, and their death dod not affect me as much as it does the characters.
Harry is fifteen, and he hasn't had a wank yet, what's up with that?

Brilliant scene with Dumbledore early on.
And as usual, Snape steals the show.
Even though the book is 700-odd pages long, you still want more at the end. And that, I think, is the beat thing you can say about any book.

Roundy

I agree it was a bloody good read, the death was a bit of an anti-climax, zap you are dead, but did leave you wanting to read more.  Unlike Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy which was complete and utter pants and left me wondering why I ever bought it.

Buddy

Er, excuse me Roundy. If your're gonna start dissin the Guide I'll have to ask you to step outside....

And just say who dies!!!! (I'm never gonna read it anyway).

El Spurioso

Sirius "Oops, not a Major Character At All" Black, Harry's Godfather - who hasn't appeared in any of the films yet.

As I've said elsewhere, the book was 2/3rds shitty boring filler (lesson, oh another lesson, ooh, another lesson... gosh, another lesson..) and 1/3rd not very plausible or interesting adventure.  By far the weakest of the HP books so far, with "the editor made me get on with it.... HERE" rubber-stamped on certain pages throughout.

The Monarch

Sirius black is a major character in prisioner of azkaban

NikolaiDante

An here are some fairly rock solid rumours (ie not sure if they are true but evidence is out there) for the future:

1. Book 6 - Harry Potter and The Green Flamed Torch

2. Book 7 - Harry Potter and The Forest Of Dreams

3. The last word of the last book is 'scar' (At the moment this is FACT as JKR has said so, however it could still be re-written!)

Dante The Informative
Support FUTUREQUAKE - it makes sense

Roundy

Hitch Hikers Guide was RUBBISH!
shouts Roundy from his secret nuclear bunker!!!

Misanthrope

Hitch hikers was cool. Tell the truth, you just didnt understand it.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?