Main Menu

Prog 1373.

Started by ukdane, 19 January, 2004, 02:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy comic guy

COVER: could be better

droid life: it will hopefully get better

DREDD: can a DREDD story last for more than 7 or less parts please?

RED SEAS: nice art and story. haven't completely read this yet.

V.C.s: dead men? why...

Slaine: Still my fav strip so far

ROBO: fantastic, the artwork fits the strip making it far better than it would look on a different story line.

INPUT: A waste of a page. Synnamon was o.k. but you can't compare it againts FROM GRACE!

Pete Wells

Can't see why everyone is getting so excited over Samantha Slade. Subtle as a brick parodies of Guy Richie, Madonna, Vin Diesel etc. read to me like the tripe Garth Ennis would have done in the 90's (Cilla Black in Dredd etc.)

I respect Alan Grant as a writer and Ian Gibson is up there in my top 3 artists but I just can't get excited over this out of date clap trap. Robo Hunter deserves better than this. Sorry guys!

Tu-plang

I was a little underwhelmed by Robo-Hunter as well... I mean it's good and enjoyable, but not brilliant - and Samantha got next to no time to grow on me.  I just want Sam and Hoagie and Stogie back.

For twenty continueous weeks.

paulvonscott

Actually the last Flicker was in the current Meg, not 2000AD, that was Alan Grant giving us a 'Flicker on the EEG' maybe it was just a Fucker on the EEG (it certainly looked like it with only a possible microscopic gap between the L and the U) and Andersons in more trouble than we thought.

Oddboy

Prog 1373

SPOILERS

P14 - fairly lame, but I don't begrudge it being there. The fact that there are no page numbers in the prog still irritates me.

Dredd - that was a pretty shocking episode! How many lives does that Hershey have? After this & the Revenge of the Chief Judge's Man story she's certainly dancing with death!
Good end to a good story, with excellent artwork.

The Red Seas - YAY we get a cover! a great romp of a tale, really enjoying this.

The V.C.s - that scratches PVS's theory from last week! Building nicely, which Keege aught we trust? Did Smith really see the bodies of Jupe & the others in episode one? Good mysterious stuff.

Sl?ine - got a bit muddled this week I thought. Tit-gag made me laugh though.

Robo-Hunter - very pleased with this story, am happy that it has returned, a success & can't wait until the follow up story!

Better set your phaser to stun.

SmallBlueThing

I read the prog last night after a particularly hard day, so apologies if that coloured or influenced my view:

Cover: A bit bland, as I think all Steve Yeowell's covers tend to be. I prefer him as a sequential storyteller than a, ahem, 'big splasher'. Great that The Red Seas got a cover though, and harpies are always good.

Droid Life: yes, it's irritating that the thrust of the main character is related to a job that 2000ad doesn't have. maybe that's the joke? If so, it's not a very good one. But that said, I like this strip and find it very odd that people, myself included,  are critiquing it in such depth. It's like getting uppitty over Fred Bassett or George & Lynne.

Dredd: Didn't like this. Nothing about it worked for me. maybe the art, maybe the pointlessness of it all. Maybe I'm just grouchy.

Red Seas: Fab. best thing in the prog at the moment, even though I feel that as a longtime Slainiac I should be automatically giving that accolade to Pat and Clint. heh heh, 'Clint'. Hope *that* doesn't run together. Love JAck Dancer and his men- long may this one run.

Slaine: Gorgeous art again, adequate script. No, a good script and confusing art. Oh I don't know! Keep changing my mind on this at the moment.

The VCs: Keep forgetting this is in there. Enjoying it though- whatever the hell it's about.

Sam Slade: I agree with Pete Wells, it's pants.

Input: Back for a fleeting visit no doubt. At this rate I expect to see someone complaining about Slaine being on the cover of prog 1000 soon.

Things that piss me off about the prog at the moment:

1. The paper. Flimsy and I hate it.

2. The cover not being of a heavier stock.

3. The logo. Agree wholeheartedly about it not suiting the current format. Why not, instead of bringing back the metal one, simply redesign the current 'fan' logo, so it fills roughly the same shape as the eighties metal monster, but maintains it's red and white glory?

I do apologise for my grumpiness- as I said, hard day. I'm sure everything is wonderful, really.

Steev

The Monarch

To those complaining about samantha all i'll say is i'ld rather read this than millers robohunter

Mudcrab

"VC's: OK, SO there are two Keege, one with Smith without helmet, and one with the other's, with helmet. Either we're gonna learn something major about Geek genealogy, or (my guess) the one in the helmet isn't Keege, but another Geek."

There's also 2 Jupes, one dead one not. Also at least another 1 has a double as he was seen hanging out of the ship AND walking with "everyone except Smith".

Then there's the 'robot' Diderot. Hmm, are they robot doubles that don't know they are? Was Keege trying to get the real location of the datalog from Smith? I must say, splendid change from the straightforward VC's we've had so far. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING IN?????

NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

ukdane

Oddboy: Do you really want/need page numbers, covering up the lovely artwork.

Please no!

Tharg: reasign droid P14 to something else- just don't send him back to THAT drawing board.

Cheers

-Daney

Oddboy

Yeah, I didn't mean that 2000AD should get page numbers, but that Droid Life should have picked something else for 'P14' to do.

paulvonscott

Have you considered that the lettering droid might be lettering non-earthbound editions of the galaxies greatest comic?

So my VC's theory is ruined eh?  Ah well.  I think the art is better on this series and the crazy 'what's going on scenario' makes the third series interesting where the second one was forgettable (I've forgotten it).  Let's hope the suspense pays off eh?  I'll reformulate my hunches when I get the next prog.

Hmmm, yes, Clint Langley, he wouldn't have got much work in comics 20 years ago (and not just because he'd be about 7 or something).

Art

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING IN?????"

What ever it is is either going to be very clever or (sadly more likely) be totally stupid...

Oddboy

But Paul - 20 years ago they wouldn't have printed *any* of the artists names!

W. R. Logan

>But Paul - 20 years ago they wouldn't have printed *any* of the artists names!

20 years ago they would have.
http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/351.jpg> http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/352.jpg>

27 they wouldn?t
http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/1.jpg>

La Placa Rifa,
http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/>W. R. Logan.

http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/images/Co79_logo.gif>

paulvonscott

You see, sometimes I think these things through.