Main Menu

ANOTHER DREDD PHOTO

Started by JOE SOAP, 16 December, 2011, 05:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbo

Judge Death

And Fassbender for Bond,directed by Nolan.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

JOE SOAP

I don't think the world needs any more Bond films.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Rob Bottins famous design for the Robo Cop suit started off as this bust. You don't need to be told what Futuristic Lawman this is based on. The design of course went through many changes but you can see how our Dreddy influenced Robo Cop and help make an American Film icon.

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

malkymac

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 24 December, 2011, 04:26:20 PM
Rob Bottins famous design for the Robo Cop suit started off as this bust. You don't need to be told what Futuristic Lawman this is based on. The design of course went through many changes but you can see how our Dreddy influenced Robo Cop and help make an American Film icon.

What a rip off! Fleetway should have sued the arse off them.

IAMTHESYSTEM

He put the Dredd head on it for inspiration so it did the trick alright.

Lot's of changes followed but you have to start somewhere.

― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Quote from: malkymac on 24 December, 2011, 04:56:40 PMWhat a rip off! Fleetway should have sued the arse off them.

Fort what, inspiration?

radiator

The similarities between Dredd and Robocop are overstated, IMO.

While Dredd was clearly an influence early on in the production, Robocop has its own thing going on, presumably what Verhoeven brought to it, not least the elements of Frankenstein in the story, and the biting satire of yuppie culture. It's also far bleaker and nastier than most early Dredd stories.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: radiator on 24 December, 2011, 06:28:20 PM
The similarities between Dredd and Robocop are overstated, IMO.

While Dredd was clearly an influence early on in the production, Robocop has its own thing going on, presumably what Verhoeven brought to it, not least the elements of Frankenstein in the story, and the biting satire of yuppie culture. It's also far bleaker and nastier than most early Dredd stories.

By the time of production for Robocop (1986) the Apocalypse War had already happened and stories such as Letter from a Democrat were also being published.

If We're talking about Biting Satire Dredd got there first. But thank god Verhoeven was there to Direct Robocop, because it proves that kind of humour works on film.

JOE SOAP

The biggest Dredd 'take' by RoboCop, apart from the obvious man-machine dispensing law concept, is the coupling of that idea with interstitial-ad/media satire.

It's nastier because RoboCop was an 80's action film aimed at adults while 2000AD was an 80's comic aimed at young'uns but the tone was copied wholesale.

IAMTHESYSTEM

DREDD strikes me as being more a straight action Movie so I don't expect too many laconic one liners or satirical side swipes at the Capitalist System.

Robo Cop wants to keep it's satirical edge though I suspect this might be promised by the Films Producers it will be quietly side lined by them. The last thing Hollywood Producers want to say to the audience during the worst economic down turn since WW2 is the system that made Hollywood Producers very rich really is shit after all. A few pops at the Banks and Big Business but then onto the Action.

― Nikola Tesla

Roger Godpleton

I enjoy both Robocop and Judge Dredd. I wish they could hang out together one day. Maybe I will use my imagination to help them do just that.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 December, 2011, 08:30:28 PMThe biggest Dredd 'take' by RoboCop, apart from the obvious man-machine dispensing law concept, is the coupling of that idea with interstitial-ad/media satire.

I'm not that au fait with ROBOCOP's development but that aspect seemed influenced more by Chaykin's AMERICAN FLAGG! than DREDD.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 26 December, 2011, 07:52:12 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 December, 2011, 08:30:28 PMThe biggest Dredd 'take' by RoboCop, apart from the obvious man-machine dispensing law concept, is the coupling of that idea with interstitial-ad/media satire.

I'm not that au fait with ROBOCOP's development but that aspect seemed influenced more by Chaykin's AMERICAN FLAGG! than DREDD.

You could equally say where did Chaykin get the idea? Dredd had been out 6 years before American Flagg. The producers more or less admitted how RoboCop started out as a Dredd film but they couldn't get the rights.

From the book Howard Chaykin: Conversations,

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 December, 2011, 08:42:04 PM
You could equally say where did Chaykin get the idea? Dredd had been out 6 years before American Flagg. The producers more or less admitted how RoboCop started out as a Dredd film but they couldn't get the rights.

You mean that if they could have got the movie rights to Judge Dredd, we all could well have had a proper JD big-screen adaptation directed by Paul Verhoeven... how awesome would THAT have been (and then some)?!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

IAMTHESYSTEM

There's clearly a tip you hat moment in Robo Cop when actor Peter Weller utters the immortal words 'Your move, creep.'

Only one Lawman uses that line and it isn't Dirty Harry.  I think the Film makers really were showing their appreciation of one of Robo Cops prime source materials -2000A.d's Judge Dredd.

― Nikola Tesla