Main Menu

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 October, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 08 October, 2018, 09:15:14 PM
Other Earth-based SF shows like Black Mirror are perfectly good too, but that isn't really the point -- they're entirely different shows which aren't about someone who has a TARDIS that can take them anywhere and anywhen.

Just thought of one reason why the first episode almost always has to be on Earth, and it's not to do with the doctor themselves.  Obviously budget is a consideration - but not of the locations, rather the characters.  The first episode sees the doctor picking up companions, and it's at lot easier to have a series of cheaper companions if you start on earth than if you start on an alien planet that's going to require loads of expensive, time-consuming and sometimes challenging makeup and special effects.

Proudhuff

Quote from: sheridan on 09 October, 2018, 02:17:02 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 October, 2018, 01:27:56 AM
And I don't buy your Eastenders argument either.  Unless you can point me to the Easties episode where weird murderous aliens crack out of space-eggs and a flying electric spaghetti monster plants a DNA bomb in Dot Cotton's neck.

You asked for this.

FFS NSFW... its got Noel Edmund in it  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Well I wasn't 100% convinced but it was enjoyable enough - regen episodes are always herd to judge, I'll give it a bit more time. Some of Jodie's dialogue seemed a bit forced and the story wasn't up to much, but it's very much still Doctor Who. I'm still waiting for that killer line of dialogue that says YES - that is the doctor, but I haven't seen anything that really puts me off.

I would of ( ;)) thought that when they're making such a huge change, they'd want to keep as much of the rest as familiar as possible to assist continuity, so the new filming style and removing her from the Tardis are odd decisions.

I did not like the "coming next" teaser being taken over by a list of guest stars - Dr Who has always had them but it gives the feeling the programme is just becoming a showcase for whichever celebs they can round up.

Was looking at the BBC news  comments section yesterday - predictable whinging about a stealth-tax funding PC agendas, but the one that made me laugh said "as if you could just look up how to drive a crane on your phone. Ridiculous"  - i did a quick search and in 30 seconds had found 10 short videos showing how to operate a crane.  :lol:

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 09 October, 2018, 01:58:21 PM
Huffster- If I'm correct then the crane bits were all from an actual place just north of Sheffield. I'm sure I've seen it whilst on the rout to Thought Bubble, where there are just loads of Cranes standing around...

Colin? Can you confirm?

Well Sheffield is crane city. The spot I think you mean Bolt is what I like to think of as the Crane graveyard (Just a depot I'd imagine) by Meadowhall on the M1 on the edge of the city heading Leedswards.

I was wondering whether it was there but can't be sure.

sheridan

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 09 October, 2018, 02:17:02 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 October, 2018, 01:27:56 AM
And I don't buy your Eastenders argument either.  Unless you can point me to the Easties episode where weird murderous aliens crack out of space-eggs and a flying electric spaghetti monster plants a DNA bomb in Dot Cotton's neck.
You asked for this.

Everything I thought I knew to be true was a lie!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: sheridan on 09 October, 2018, 02:05:07 PM
Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 08 October, 2018, 12:45:01 PM
Sorry, but this is just patent nonsense. As I said in my first post on this thread, one of the things I really liked about this episode was how few mentions were made of the fact that the Doctor had changed genders, making for a clear signifier that this wasn't a big deal.

Quoted for truth - this is the 21st century, not the 19th!

See that's an interesting point, because there could well be an episode set in the 19th century, and the Doctor will face heretofore (thentofore?) challenges on her knowledge and authority, the shrill, bossy cow.
You may quote me on that.

sheridan

Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 October, 2018, 03:53:48 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 09 October, 2018, 02:05:07 PM
Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 08 October, 2018, 12:45:01 PM
Sorry, but this is just patent nonsense. As I said in my first post on this thread, one of the things I really liked about this episode was how few mentions were made of the fact that the Doctor had changed genders, making for a clear signifier that this wasn't a big deal.

Quoted for truth - this is the 21st century, not the 19th!

See that's an interesting point, because there could well be an episode set in the 19th century, and the Doctor will face heretofore (thentofore?) challenges on her knowledge and authority, the shrill, bossy cow.

So tempted to give a multi-pronged answer to that one, but don't have time right now...

Tjm86

Quote from: sheridan on 09 October, 2018, 02:33:15 PM
it's at lot easier to have a series of cheaper companions if you start on earth than if you start on an alien planet that's going to require loads of expensive, time-consuming and sometimes challenging makeup and special effects.

Have you seen some of the residents of Sheffield?

jacob g

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 08 October, 2018, 07:53:19 AMWhitaker also sounded as if she'd inhaled helium or something with her squeaky voice.

If Jodie voice annoys you... you really must heave suffered through Tennant episodes and all of his sqeaks and over the top high pitches.
margaritas ante porcos

TordelBack

Well no real complaints about this week's episode, that was proper Dr Who that was. Sort-of glad they were [spoiler]fibbing about there being any season arc[/spoiler] too.

Yaz felt a bit underused, the robots maybe a bit underdesigned,  but I liked the problem solving, the refreshing lack of speechifying and again the fact that I could actually hear the dialogue. Loving the credits music too.

Colin YNWA

Really enoughed the first half but it lost its way a little trying to pack all sorts in when the 'abitrubbishbots' appeared. Still kids loved it and Sheffield own Police Box on Surrey Street got a mention, that got a cheer in our house!

JamesC

Another very good episode. I quite like the robots but wondered why they were so slow and inaccurate with their shooting. The bandage monsters didn't really convince either. Other than that it was really enjoyable.

TordelBack

I did sort-of wonder about the Doctor [spoiler]giving up and going full self-pity[/spoiler] at the end, but I'm happy enough to chalk it up to a to-be-explored peculiarity of this incarnation, or failing that, a post-regeneration wobbly.

Liked the new interior BTW,  especially the 'porch'. And as Colin says,  the kids loved it.

M.I.K.

Never mind all that... The TARDIS now dispenses [spoiler]biscuits![/spoiler] That's a damn good upgrade, (though I would've went with [spoiler]Hobnobs[/spoiler], myself).