Main Menu

Star Wars Episode IX

Started by JOE SOAP, 10 July, 2018, 01:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I can't stop looking at the the official Rise of Skywalker poster. It's so weird.

It's not terrible per se, it's just that it looks like it should be the cover of a tie-in Star Wars novel or videogame rather than a major motion picture. It looks cheap*, and a far cry from the excellent teaser poster for The Last Jedi.

*I gather the still of Palpatine was actually sourced from a photo of a toy, which is quite amusing.

moogie101

From looking at that I'd assume it was a poster for an animated movie.

Although after the last two it will be a pass from me anyway.

TordelBack

More like the wrapper of an unlicensed multi-flavoured ice pop cheekily called 'Space Wars'.

IAMTHESYSTEM

There are reports online that the Production team shot up to six different endings. I guess you could say having a selection of alternative finishes is a good idea, but perhaps it shows a lack of faith in the material. I hope that isn't the case, and I don't know for the moment about any reshoots as such. You'd think they'd start with a pretty strong narrative, to begin with, that pointed toward a particular conclusion. Disney has made it clear that after this Film Star Wars movies are going on a hiatus. It might be that this Movie is the last film in the Star Was saga ever made if the Disney Plus TV series do well.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Colin YNWA

Read recently that Rian Johnson is still working on his new trilogy. Might be the last we see of the original saga mind.

JOE SOAP

Apart from the odd special edition print by a third-party vendor, posters have been mostly reduced to clumsy photo-collages rather than distinctive art pieces — they aren't the priority pieces of fine-art marketing they once were. With the advent of Black Mirror devices they have been replaced by YouTube teasers and trailers as the initial point of public-access for whatever film or TV show's being sold.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 14 September, 2019, 11:17:52 AM
It might be that this Movie is the last film in the Star Was saga ever made if the Disney Plus TV series do well.

I doubt it. Disney originals and acquired IPs are all now multi-platform brands that are recycled/remade dozens of times.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 September, 2019, 12:00:46 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 14 September, 2019, 11:17:52 AM
It might be that this Movie is the last film in the Star Was saga ever made if the Disney Plus TV series do well.

I doubt it. Disney originals and acquired IPs are all now multi-platform brands that are recycled/remade dozens of times.

My feeling is that 'LAST EVAH!' is part of the push to frame this movie as both an event (understandable) and as a continuation of the OT, rather than this newfangled Disney trilogy. There may also be an undertone of 'look what your troll boycott of Solo did, go to this one or that's it, there'll be no more SW movies before bedtime'. 
I
Give it less than 2 years before 'George's original 12-movie outline' is trotting around the astroturf circuit. (Not that I object).

Professor Bear

JJA is already on record saying that Finn and Ray 's stories won't end in Episode 9, and considering the moolah The Diz has invested in suppressing worker's rights and pay building a Star Wars theme park that only just opened, I'll be surprised if they make it 18 months without an announcement about a new movie.

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 14 September, 2019, 03:07:41 PM
JJA is already on record saying that Finn and Ray's stories won't end

One in the eye for all those urging Tharg to cancel Sinister Dexter.

JOE SOAP

Disney all ready announced new SW films for December 16, 2022; December 20, 2024; and December 18, 2026.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/star-wars-movies-new-mutants-disney-fox-release-schedule-1202608933/

broodblik

I will try to keep an open mind but I do not have hope for RJ to do justice to the next trilogy
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 September, 2019, 03:25:25 PM

Disney all ready announced new SW films for December 16, 2022; December 20, 2024; and December 18, 2026.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/star-wars-movies-new-mutants-disney-fox-release-schedule-1202608933/

Blimey, I had no idea of future films. That's interesting news. I think there were stories about the Knights of the Old Republic possibly becoming a series of films. Revenge of the Prequels!   
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 14 September, 2019, 03:28:27 PM
I will try to keep an open mind but I do not have hope for RJ to do justice to the next trilogy

Whereas I have high hopes! Johnson gets 'my' Star Wars better than anyone since Kasdan & Marquand. Takes all sorts!

Leigh S

I see they have given Rey a little something to keep the incels happy  :o