Main Menu

The Black Dog Thread

Started by Grugz, 02 January, 2016, 09:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 February, 2019, 10:55:05 PM
surrounded by trees and birdsong and sunshine

Oh, man: I need to get me some of that.  Glad things are on the up and up for you.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, FS - I'm typing this in a meadow, walking the dog in the sunshine and listening to the birds. It's good for what ails you and no mistake - hope you can get some, too. I hope we all can!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rately

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 February, 2019, 09:28:13 AM
Heaven...

Lovely view.

Hope all well with you, chaps, and the black dog is at arms length!

auxlen

Not been here for while...that fecking hound is killing me...i'm drinking too much, sleeping too little and written a  novel that makes UK people puke but US citizens swoon (a 100 copies sold 99 in the US). anyone else have a drink yourself to death clause in their marriage vows they want to activate...

IGNOIRE MEH

drunk and pathetic...sorry

The Legendary Shark

You've written a novel and sold copies - that's no mean feat.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: auxlen on 27 February, 2019, 07:48:22 PM
Not been here for while...that fecking hound is killing me...i'm drinking too much, sleeping too little and written a  novel that makes UK people puke but US citizens swoon (a 100 copies sold 99 in the US). anyone else have a drink yourself to death clause in their marriage vows they want to activate...

IGNOIRE MEH

drunk and pathetic...sorry

I'm a boozer as well,  but without a novel that people buy.  You're doing ok
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I may have spoken too soon. Starting to obsess about my heart-stopping moments. There was nothing. Absolutely nothing.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

If you're worried about the apparent lack of afterlife/near death experience/cool hallucination, (delete according to personal belief system), I wouldn't. From what I understand, that can sometimes take a while to get started.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, M.I.K., that's not really it, though. It's hard to explain but it's like there was nothing to it - no regrets, no fear, no fighting for life, no importance - nothing. It's like I didn't care and now I find myself thinking things like, 'if it happens again I'll just go off somewhere and let it happen.' How can I not care anymore? That's just wrong but... what's the point of me? If dying's so easy, and so easy to accept, what good is my life? What difference does anything I do make?

I'm sorry - not making any sense.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

M.I.K.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 06 March, 2019, 10:40:29 PM
I'm sorry - not making any sense.

You're making total sense. If all those Howard the Duck comics I read when I was little taught me anything, it's how to recognise an existential crisis when I see one. I'm not sure what advice to give you though, other than what Funt posted and also to avoid people with bells for heads.

Funt Solo

I was chatting with a therapy student about this topic and they suggested existential crisis therapy as something to look into.  Assuming this is our one go around the mulberry bush, and given that we don't control many aspects of life, then what is it we do have control over, and what do we want to do with that?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, chaps, your perspectives are very helpful. I'm hopeful that this odd mood of mine will pass and that I can avoid falling to the black dog proper. I thought I'd defeated it for good but here it is again, apparently with some new (to me) tricks. I guess all I can do is face it and growl back.

I went back to work yesterday, nearly two weeks early, just doing light stuff. This is helping because I was feeling weak and useless, unable to concentrate on or muster any enthusiasm for writing (I wanted to write some scripts for Zarjaz and maybe some short stories while I had the time but nothing came).

Anyway, thanks again for listening to my whining and taking the time to help - it's much appreciated.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Sharky, my recent massive trawl through David Burns' CBT material led me to this podcast here.  Although he explains it far better than me, it would seem that the identity is an illusion anyway, and your apathy and confusion is probably a result of another, unconscious problem.

Not that I have a clue what's going on in your mind, but it may be worth looking at.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/feelinggood.com/2016/11/06/podcast-6-ask-david-identity-crisis-finding-a-cbt-therapist-love-me-the-way-i-am/amp/
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"