Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

Watched the new CHARLIE's Angels and supprisingly didn't spontaneously grow a womb!!!  It was actually average to okay just wish th action scenes were cut a bit better.  That girl from Twilight was pretty funny in it and it had Sir Patrick Stewart it as well.  Doesn't deserve the absolute drubbing it's getting in the box office but in a world where the last Terminator flick can flop for being too WOKE (fuck I hate that terminology) what do you expect, probably better than the McG fiascos though

CU Radbacker

von Boom

Blade Runner. Had to get another watch in this month before it turns into a period piece.

Mardroid

El Camino

If you're reluctant to watch this because you feel that the Breaking Bad ending was just fine, and nothing needs be added to the series, your reasoning would be accurate.

But don't let that stop you. It's really good. A very worthwhile watch, I'd say. It was interesting to see a certain actor who died pretty recently too. Since this wasn't filmed all that long ago, I guess this must be one of his last roles. It was his usual type of role (he tends to play similar characters) but he does it so well, and this swan song ended on a high note.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 November, 2019, 02:54:50 PM
El Camino

If you're reluctant to watch this because you feel that the Breaking Bad ending was just fine, and nothing needs be added to the series, your reasoning would be accurate.

But don't let that stop you. It's really good. A very worthwhile watch, I'd say. It was interesting to see a certain actor who died pretty recently too. Since this wasn't filmed all that long ago, I guess this must be one of his last roles. It was his usual type of role (he tends to play similar characters) but he does it so well, and this swan song ended on a high note.

I believe it was that actor's last role, and they died on the day the movie was released.

Mardroid

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 25 November, 2019, 06:11:52 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 25 November, 2019, 02:54:50 PM
El Camino

I believe it was that actor's last role, and they died on the day the movie was released.

I didn't know that. Sad, but admirable. Coincidentally, I only watched the last series of Twin Peaks recently.

radiator

Election.

This film is so widely praised, and has such cult classic status, but I've seen it twice now and while I appreciate elements of it, I do struggle to see what all the fuss is about. Every character in it is either a sociopath, a creep or an idiot. It's occasionally amusing, but not really funny enough to be an out and out comedy, and it's just so cynical and mean-spirited a film that it's hard to see what its trying to say, or what the point is, beyond edge-lordy nihilism?

Blue Ruin.

Finally got around to this, and it's just as great as I hoped it would be - a really lean and atmospheric thriller, with a neat twist I haven't seen in a movie before, in that the guy on the rampage of revenge is pretty useless and inept, but this isn't played for laughs, it actually ratchets up the tension a lot. Great performances by the lead actor and also Buzz from Home Alone, who I've seen in a few things lately.

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 25 November, 2019, 08:23:09 PM
Election ... Every character in it is either a sociopath, a creep or an idiot.

Chris Klein's character is a sweet dope, which, realistically, is as much as most of us can aspire to. Everyone likes to delude themselves that they're the brilliant hero of their own story, but we'd be better off concentrating on just not becoming nasty creeps.

I really like Election and Blue Ruin's one of the best movies I have ever seen.

radiator

The story behind Blue Ruin is really sweet too. Apparently the director and lead actor grew up together making films, and following a string of failures Blue Ruin was their one last roll of the dice to make careers in filmmaking, and it paid off. I actively disliked Hold the Dark, but Green Room was similarly terrific.

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 25 November, 2019, 10:30:15 PM
The story behind Blue Ruin is really sweet too. Apparently the director and lead actor grew up together making films, and following a string of failures Blue Ruin was their one last roll of the dice to make careers in filmmaking, and it paid off.

As told here (9 min). $200,000 budget and we both loved it more than Endgame*

* I liked and enjoyed Endgame. I haven't watched half the movies but I blubbed three or four times

Frank

November 27th is the day everyone's an

IRISHMAN

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Frank on 27 November, 2019, 10:40:13 AM

IRISHMAN

Saving it for the weekend.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Mardroid on 25 November, 2019, 07:21:55 PM
Coincidentally, I only watched the last series of Twin Peaks recently.

"Gotta light?"

Link Prime

Quote from: Frank on 27 November, 2019, 10:40:13 AM

IRISHMAN

Couldn't miss the chance to catch it on the big screen last week.
An indulgent masterpiece, but a masterpiece nonetheless.

Pips Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Joker for movie of the year.

Professor Bear

Instead of watching Scorcese's latest white boy crime-wank movie I checked out Dolemite Is My Name, an Eddie Murphy vehicle based on the life of African American stand-up comic turned movie star Rudy Ray Moore that seems both a natural fit for Murphy, and a natural choice for the biopic treatment, and while it hits all the usual notes, something is a bit off about it and it was only near the end that I twigged that it's not a biopic of Moore, but of Dolemite, Moore's onstage persona.
When the movie starts, Moore isn't a young, gifted comedian but a flabby, over-the-hill journeyman, and his big break doesn't come from a producer taking a chance but from Moore stealing material from hobos and freeloading off his aunt to publish a record.  The film's story isn't that Moore was a genius but that he got lucky with the right material at the right time, and then never actually became any better as an artist or saw out any grand vision, his victory comes from finding a shallow validation in his cult status among an African-American community literally abandoned to the inner cities by white people (as explained in a brutally-unsubtle minor turn by Bob Odenkirk doing his best not to channel Saul Goodman while delivering what are clearly Saul Goodman's lines).
Biopics are tricky because if the subjects are alive or have a legacy maintained by an estate, the movies tend to be flattering and safe, but this isn't flattering at all.  Moore certainly doesn't come across as a bad person - he doesn't do drugs, beat his wife or abandon his kids - but he also doesn't come across as particularly interesting or even that good in his chosen profession, he's just a man who succeeded through the work and/or indulgence of others with more talent or wit but who in the end gave back more than what he took by ultimately becoming a part of the African-American folklore he cynically stripmines to achieve success.
The pacing seems a bit off, but it's otherwise quite enjoyable.  If nothing else it was nice being reminded that Wesley Snipes can actually act and doesn't just parody the tough guy act he was peddling in the 1990s.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Professor Bear on 27 November, 2019, 01:10:12 PM
Instead of watching Scorcese's latest white boy crime-wank movie .

Wow. I have to say that is one of the most brilliant summary of a film you have not watched.

Due to Link Prime's post, and the fact that today ended up being a free day for me, I watched it (damn, I'm so weak.)

Professor Bear you are so far wide of the mark it's almost impossible to be that wrong.

It is in fact a film about how crime can hurt those around you and does not glorify crime, be it 'white boy crime wank' or black boy crime wank or any racial stereo crime wank at all.

I suggest you see it first then decide about the film. And it is a film. It's cinema at it's peak.

As Link Prime said, it's up there as one of the best films this year. I can't decide which I prefer. OUTIH is great fun and brilliantly made but The Irishman has an emotional heart that will resonate for a long time. Made by an auteur.

If that's 'white boy crime-wank' then bring it on. I hope more gets made.