Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 17 April, 2013, 07:34:08 PM
Someone needs to write a flashback story explaining why Rico's hair goes from Christopher Walken to George Clooney between that framed photograph and his arrival on Titan. The expanded version of The Return of Rico Pat Mills wrote around the time of the Stallone film wasn't much less substantial.

His appearance in issue 4 of Year One will be fleeting, but if we're lucky, it'll be an end-scene with Joe & Rico and a 126 year-old Walter White instructing them both on the merits of the close-crop.

Steve Green

Although I knew McGruder was a Thatcher analogue, I never connected her referring to herself as 'we' and Thatcher's 'we are a grandmother'.

Does that make Dredd Geoffrey Howe?

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 April, 2013, 07:54:48 PM
Although I knew McGruder was a Thatcher analogue, I never connected her referring to herself as 'we' and Thatcher's 'we are a grandmother'.

Does that make Dredd Geoffrey Howe?

Excellent catch, and topical - use of first person plural is grounds for sectioning. Shurely Shojan's the Howe analogue; making Dredd the Hesseltine figure who delivers the coup de grĂ¢ce.

Steve Green

darnmarr

I, Cosh

"Hi Brinna, what're you watching?"
- "John Cage: Atonal Avenger."

This only a few short weeks after the same writer had a character called Cornelius Cardew save the day. Don't worry, I didn't get that reference until much later either.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Cosh on 09 May, 2013, 12:11:31 AM
"Hi Brinna, what're you watching?"
- "John Cage: Atonal Avenger."

This only a few short weeks after the same writer had a character called Cornelius Cardew save the day. Don't worry, I didn't get that reference until much later either.

Sorry, I'm thick. Could you explain it?  I remember it alright.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Cage and Cardew were both avant garde composers. In later life, Cardew became more interested in left wing politics than music and seems a pretty interesting character. I wonder if Alan ever met him.

Anyway, I've just been rereading Halo Jones for the first time in many years. It's pretty good stuff.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

Cage was the bloke who composed a three minute piece of silence, wasn't he?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dash Decent on 09 May, 2013, 11:26:16 PM
Cage was the bloke who composed a three minute piece of silence, wasn't he?

4'33" actually!

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

TordelBack

I do hate the way DJs always talk over the intro to that one.

Pete Wells

Only when I was doing the art comp last month did I sus that Krool was a play on 'Cruel'. I teach people's bairns me!

Richmond Clements