Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 19 March, 2014, 04:53:55 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 March, 2014, 04:14:27 PM
Isn't the first syllable of 'Soviet' pronounced 'Sovv'?

Aye, but not if you're American.

Nor indeed if you're Russian, where it's apparently something like 'sah-vee-eht-skeek'.

The Corinthian

Just noticed that the other Judge who arrests the eponymous 'Bat Mugger' is "Judge Robin". 25 years it took me to spot that!

ming

Quote from: The Corinthian on 22 March, 2014, 11:53:45 PM
Just noticed that the other Judge who arrests the eponymous 'Bat Mugger' is "Judge Robin". 25 years it took me to spot that!

Hah!  That's great (and had completely passed me by as well).

Frank

I'm not sure it went over my head, exactly, but I don't think I realised that the November print date of John Wagner's (broad) satire of the Northern Ireland peace process meant it was probably written around marching season. Shouldn't both sides be Simps?

Just a few months ahead of the Good Friday Agreement, I'm glad Mo Mowlam didn't take her cue from Dredd's two-fisted solution to that Gordian Knot. Actually, I'm sure the BLAIR-1 strip meant the prog was banned from Whitehall.

Dash Decent

Are the flashbacks in Trifecta tied back to a tea-and-biscuits meeting as a nod to Proust and his madeleines?  Or is it something from the George Smiley stories?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Frank

Quote from: Dash Decent on 23 April, 2014, 02:20:14 AM
Are the flashbacks in Trifecta tied back to a tea-and-biscuits meeting as a nod to Proust and his madeleines?  Or is it something from the George Smiley stories?

To make Frank and Jack convincing double agents, Smiley zaps 'em so they can't recherché the temps perdu. I'll eat my hat if the biscuit dunking breaking through that fog of memory isn't a la-de-da reference to poncey French books about sod all. Smiley's name and nature (and the fact he literally brings Frank In From The Cold) make the Le Carre connection clear, but he looks much more like Alan Bennet than Alec Guiness, and the Hilda Ogden décor of Smiley's lair are much more A Cream Cracker Under The Sofa than Tinker Tailor.

I, Cosh

What the common in "common or garden" meant. As we don't have commons north of Clapham, I just thought it was a really redundant phrase.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 April, 2014, 07:34:13 AM
What the common in "common or garden" meant. As we don't have commons north of Clapham, I just thought it was a really redundant phrase.

Well feck me pink with a lead balloon.  You learn something new every day
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 23 April, 2014, 07:01:48 AM.. I'll eat my hat if the biscuit dunking breaking through that fog of memory isn't a la-de-da reference to poncey French books about sod all.

Or The Transporter version of same...

glassstanley

PSI Division - is that meant to read as P.S.I. Division? In which case the CSI link has gone over my head since the first Judge Death story until now. Always read it as 'Sigh Division'...

Colin YNWA

Yeah I've always read it as 'sigh' division. As in Psychic, guess it works either way.

amines2058

Same here with 'Sigh' division for me, but I took it as a shortening of Psionics due to the spelling, plus the fact psionics is an umbrella term covering all manner of psychic abilities (telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokenesis etc - thanks Wikipedia! ;)) which would also make sense.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: amines2058 on 24 April, 2014, 06:23:51 AM
Same here with 'Sigh' division for me, but I took it as a shortening of Psionics due to the spelling, plus the fact psionics is an umbrella term covering all manner of psychic abilities (telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokenesis etc - thanks Wikipedia! ;)) which would also make sense.

I used to call it 'P.S.I.', until I saw the coverline that said 'Bridge of Psis'.  Also, it would be horribly jarring to read it as Anderson saying something like 'The kid - She's a Pee Ess Eye!'
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

It's "sigh", as in psychic or psionic. Although a recent cover used the CSI pun and it had to be explained to me.
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 April, 2014, 08:34:04 AM
It's "sigh", as in psychic or psionic.

Of course it is — there's never been any suggestion that it's an acronym, has there? If so, what does it stand for?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.