Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Maybe that bit did go over my head. I always thought she was about so say 'anger'. The frustration and rage of Dredd that bubbles beneath the service of control and discipline.

Colin Zeal

As a kid, the joke about a wrestler called The Undertaker having a manger called Paul Bearer went over my head for a long time.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 February, 2016, 04:03:52 PM
Maybe that bit did go over my head. I always thought she was about so say 'anger'. The frustration and rage of Dredd that bubbles beneath the service of control and discipline.

No, she actually does say 'anger' before anything else.  Whatever it is she's about to say remains a mystery. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

NapalmKev

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 February, 2016, 07:54:55 PM

No, she actually does say 'anger' before anything else.  Whatever it is she's about to say remains a mystery.

A penchant for Taffeta Ballgowns! Looks like both Dredd films borrowed something from the A.B.C Warriors.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Echidna

"I can feel anger and control. But there's something else, something behind the control, something almost... Oh, that's it. More anger."

TordelBack

Doubt.

But if course it's the unspoken mystery that makes the whole thing work.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Echidna on 13 February, 2016, 08:24:54 AM
"I can feel anger and control. But there's something else, something behind the control, something almost... Oh, that's it. More anger."

"I can feel anger and control. But there's something else, something behind the control... an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope? No, wait, I can feel FOUR things, anger, control, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and..."

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

1 thing I never quite understood.

In the Terra-meks, what is the NOGEEEE that Fantas-tek is shouting all about? Was it just meaningless shouting?

IAMTHESYSTEM

This is so embarrassing.

FLO RIDA....it's F-L-O-R-I-D-A isn't it? I get up but my brain doesn't.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 13 February, 2016, 10:10:39 AM
This is so embarrassing.

Hey, you're well ahead of me.

I, Cosh

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 13 February, 2016, 10:10:39 AM
This is so embarrassing.

:D and when discussing the relative merits of assorted rapping men, one might debate their lyrical flow. The ability to ride said flow for a sustained period would be considered an asset.
We never really die.

Jacqusie

I'm not sure that I ever twigged that Dredds apartment Rowdy Yates and Clint were so inextricably linked... but then I am getting old... but not that old for Rawhide it seems...  ::)

JayzusB.Christ

Strange; I was just reading about the Rowdy Yates thing on the imdb page for Dredd 3d before you posted that - never really made the connection that it was because Clint Eastwood had an influence on Dredd's character. 
Of course, Rico lives there now, doesn't he?  No more baths for Joe.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Tordelback on 13 February, 2016, 08:29:41 AM

Woops! That's what I meant. :)
Doubt.

But if course it's the unspoken mystery that makes the whole thing work.

JayzusB.Christ

Just realised on a re-read of some old progs that there's pretty much always been a little bit of cheesecake-ish titillation in 2000ad - it was kind of part of the 'don't-show-your-parents' deal along with the violence.  What made me think about that was how they used a photo of Sybil Danning as Saint Exmin from Battle Beyond the Stars to illustrate one of Ro-Jaws' old film columns - sweet Jesus.  If Valkyries had actually been in any way sexy, it would have looked like this.