Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

The Legendary Shark

I used to call Dash Decent Dash Descent.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 06 September, 2016, 12:41:02 PM
My mate used to say 'Roger Trooper'.

Brilliant.
Someone has to enter a Roger Moore / Rogue Trooper mash-up into this months comp.

*My little cousin called him 'Rocky Trooper', bizarrely enough.

ZenArcade

One for Button man: I seem to remember an art entry titled Roque. trooper in the letters page many, many years ago. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Prog 1797, Carroll and Smudge's Heavy Ordnance. So Johnny Alpha and Dredd really do inhabit the same timeline* ...

Only the ever reliable Jimbo thought it worthy of mention at the time.

* I kid

The Legendary Shark

In 1937, Westinghouse built the first "industrial atom smasher," a 5 MeV Van de Graaff electrostatic nuclear accelerator, so I guess by Dredd's time they may have branched out into weaponry...

Captain Irrelevant.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

They branched out a wee while ago - they're the US network that makes rubbish like NCIS and Big Brother. They were a big name in consumer electronics in the fifties; presumably they found their way into 2000ad due to the same childhood nostalgia as a brand name like Hershey.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: JamesC on 06 September, 2016, 12:41:02 PM
My mate used to say 'Roger Trooper'.

He's actually based on a little known comics character called 'Roger Topper' from a comic called Berk! from the mid sixties.  He was a character who possesses a talking top hat with all sorts of special abilities, although for no apparent reason he never used any of them and would spend every episode arguing with the hat, then he'd hold his breath until his face turned blue.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Steve Green

Quote from: Frank on 07 September, 2016, 06:48:11 PM
They branched out a wee while ago - they're the US network that makes rubbish like NCIS and Big Brother. They were a big name in consumer electronics in the fifties; presumably they found their way into 2000ad due to the same childhood nostalgia as a brand name like Hershey.

John told me it was because his dad worked for them.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 September, 2016, 07:19:49 PM
Quote from: Frank on 07 September, 2016, 06:48:11 PM

John told me it was because his dad worked for them.

Wow! Cheers, Steve.

Steve Green

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

When I saw the cover of prog 167 I wondered why it said "Comic Rock" when - being the prog - it could've said "Prog Rock".

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Sorry, posted too soon.  Sentence two:

So their subtlety went over my head at the time.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

sheridan

I only just realised that Roseanne's Bar in Street Cred (Judge Dredd, Prog 1962) is a play on words on Roseanne Barr.  I had connected that Roseanne took place in the Lobo Lounge, but didn't get the Bar/Barr bit until now :-|

Not sure I get the subtlety of Comic Rock...