Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

His 10 minute review was amusing - I don't think I can spare 2 hours of him expanding on it. Unless his longer critiques talk more about film making in general and how this compares.

I was thinking about Miller's Crossing because of Albert Finney and how people generally acknowledge the two awesome scenes in that (Danny Boy and "Look into your heart). And how the screen play earns those moments, they are pivotal to plot and character and rightly, in my mind, iconic. BvS never does the legwork but wants the results.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Apestrife

Did you watch the ultimate cut? I think it fairs a bit better.

I like it mostly because of a couple scenes. Intro 1, 2, superman montage, Warehouse fight and the burial. Love those. But overall it's not my favorite, but still okay to watch.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 February, 2019, 04:37:44 PM
His 10 minute review was amusing - I don't think I can spare 2 hours of him expanding on it. Unless his longer critiques talk more about film making in general and how this compares.

I've been listening to this all afternoon while I work. Haven't quite got to the end of Pt3, but it's good stuff. Closely observed and well-argued. Takes in Snyder's other works (worth noting that Bob thinks Snyder is a good film-maker, a view I don't share), talks about comparable films from the MCU, other DCEU movies, has an excellent and completely relevant diversion into the brilliance of Starship Troopers, says some insightful stuff about the comics that gave rise to a movie like this...

It's smart stuff. Crucially, he's coming at this from the starting point of: this is the work of a whole bunch of talented people who weren't setting out to make a terrible movie, so how did we end up with this...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

I have a bit of a drive tomorrow so I'll give it a go. Starship Troopers was the clincher.

Funt Solo

I tried listening to MovieBob, but he's from the school of Youtube that insists on talkingreallyfastwithoutanypauseswhatsoeverlikethelegalverbiageattheendofUSadvertsanditsfuckingannoyingtolistento so I had to give up.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

Well enjoyed Part 1 of that very much. My reaction to the Jimmy Olsen reveal (in the Ultimate Cut) was the same as his!

JamesC

Heathers
I have a real soft spot for high school films and I hadn't seen this one since the 90s.
It's much funnier than I remember but the satire is pretty dark. I wonder how modern audiences would react to its theme of teen murder and social justice. I can see why they never show it on TV!
Definitely worth a watch. Winona Ryder and Christian Slater both give good performances – as do the Heathers who are all absolutely vile.

A Quiet Place
Was enjoyable but I really can't see what all the fuss was about. There were some good ideas and the performances were excellent but it certainly lacked originality. I felt like I'd seen that monster design a million times before and [spoiler]the revelation that the creatures with hyper sensitive hearing were vulnerable to high pitched frequencies was like – no shit Sherlock. It's the first thing I'd have thought of because that's always the vulnerability for monsters with hyper sensitive hearing.[/spoiler]
I was left with the impression that this film had been marketed as a cut above the normal horror fare and lots of people who never watch horror watched it because of Emily Blunt and her Writer/Director/Actor husband and thought they were seeing something original.
In summary – very competently made, some good ideas, very good performances but let down by an unoriginal story and lame monsters.

Enemy
Jake Gylenhall plays a history teacher who finds he has a doppelganger on the other side of town.
I sort of enjoyed this film. Again, the performances were good and it had lots of rude bits.
It was a bit arty farty though. The story was pretty slight and I thought they could have done more with it. I was expecting some sort of Hitchcockian thriller which is probably why I ended up disappointed.
Worth a watch but don't expect to be blown away by the story – it's all about the mood and the feels.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 09 February, 2019, 04:04:00 AM
Good movies! Have you seen Radioactive Dreams? That's another fun cool movie that'd fit in somewhere on a shelf with those. Also Repo Man (1984) if anyone in here hasn't seen that somehow, one of the greats.

I haven't seen either of those, but funnily enough the friend I went to Cherry 2000/Miracle Mile with brought me in a loan of the Repo Man DVD the next day, and said if I liked those I would love it! Looking forward to watching it. Had to google Radioactive Dreams there and surprised I haven't heard of it, looks barmy. Will try and check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

Watched An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn at the weekend and really enjoyed it, but it's bizarre enough that it probably won't appeal to everyone. I still haven't seen the writer/director's previous film The Greasy Strangler but remember a lot of people I knew watching it and being a bit dumbfounded, so I'd imagine this is a similar tone and humour as that. A really good cast putting in some really amusingly odd performances and some really surreal laughs. Probably has very niche appeal, but we laughed a lot. It's bonkers.

Also tried to watch Garbage Pail Kids The Movie and made it about half an hour in which was good going I think. Had heard how awful it was and needed to satisfy my morbid B-movie curiosity, but the wee kids themselves were total nightmare fuel and I couldn't take it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JamesC on 11 February, 2019, 09:22:16 AM
Heathers
I have a real soft spot for high school films and I hadn't seen this one since the 90s.
It's much funnier than I remember but the satire is pretty dark. I wonder how modern audiences would react to its theme of teen murder and social justice. I can see why they never show it on TV!
Definitely worth a watch. Winona Ryder and Christian Slater both give good performances – as do the Heathers who are all absolutely vile.

I was just thinking the other day I must get around to watching this again. One of my favourite filsm back in the day but haven't seen it in years. Good to hear it holds up.

Hawkmumbler

If anything in an era of 80's nostalgia, where coming of age teen comedies are now back in vogue, Heathers holds up even more as an oddly prescient satire. I make no secrets of my love for that films.

Colin YNWA

As I mentioned elsewhere I recently picked up all the Apes movies (well I'm not counting Tim Burton's effort) for about £21 the other day and so I'm happily working my way through them in production order.

I've always loved Planet of the Apes (1968) and its a film that really stands up to repeated viewing, even if Chuckie H's performance is very overstated at times, he still makes Taylor if not likable entirely engaging and the Apes are all top notch. The satire is sharp and well placed. Its the classic I always think it is.

What struck me more was the differences from the first film to its sequel 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes'. Now I want to say before I go any further that I enjoyed BtPotA a lot more than I remember doing in the past with this viewing. Its full of lovely kinetic nonsense and while the satire isn't as sharp, possibly a bit to on the nose (?) its a fun action romp, if completely in the shadow of its predecessor.

What struck me most however was while PotA (1968) feels like a movie parible, but feels like a big screen production BtPotA I enjoy on the level of a decent Doctor Who story. It just doesn't feel like a movie. I know budgets had already begun to diminish, but its not that, I think it still holds up visually pretty well given its age and all, rather the way the story feels a lot less tight than the original.

Having recently read another book about the making of the movies I'm reminded of the tricky time they seemed to have finding a story for the sequel that would work. Now it not as if PotA (1968) didn't have its own share of pre-production struggles but the core concept and story, however departed from Boulle's book, is so fantastic that however many interations it went through it still holds onto those tight core ideas so well. BtPotA feels like a story looking for a reason to be. Or rather the type of Doctor Who 6 parter that really should have stayed a 4 parter. It feels stretched and slightly directionless at time. I'm not sure if it has too much, or too little going on with it but the story doesn't quite hold.

Still enjoyed both and can't wait for the next which I've always held as my favourite, though I don't know if that will hold as it been a long time since I saw it last.

Professor Bear

No love for the Burton Apes movie?  I found I liked it once I got past the whole "this is dreadful" thing.

I am pretty sure that Aquaman overall was quite rubbish, but I enjoyed it anyway, as it had good action and likeable characters to offset its shite story.  What foul sorcery does Nicole Kidman practice to still look this way?
Nice to see a DC movie with amiable characters, and a protagonist that actually grows throughout the film and learns a worthwhile lesson, but sweet Christmas did the whole "let's do Arthurian myth because his name is Arthur" thing drop out of a cereal packet?  I sincerely hope so, because I would be deeply worried if someone was paid money for it.
Momoa is very affable in this even when his whole deal at the start of the film is that he's an angry loner who shuns people because of his angry loner pain - and then the first thing he goes and does after saving the lives of a bunch of sailors is take his dad for a pint and then takes goofy selfies with bikers and then when Mera shows up sounding like a gothy teen saying people are rubbish, Arthur spends his time defending people and insisting they are inherently good and capable of change.  He's like the antithesis of Clint Eastwood's arsehole character from those bare knuckle boxing films with the orange monkey, in that all the elements are there for a dreadful and unlikable character, but then he just does nice things and is nice to people.  I mean, this is the exact opposite of what the script seems to want at that point (the point of contention between Arthur and Manta hinges on his being a darker, harder character), but I don't really mind, and I don't think most people would, either.

It is all over the place, but I suppose that helps when it turns into a mid-90s heavy metal album cover at the end complete with sick guitar riffs, warring monsters, and stacked ladies, and especial kudos to the makers for correctly identifying that mid-90s metal suffered from a severe lack of Dolph Lundgren with a pink beard.  There are plenty of films coming out of Asia that look like this now that SFX technology is so cheap and easy to implement*, which kind of makes me wonder where they spent all the cash - and more importantly, why, as the Sicily action sequence is probably the best one in the whole film, and only the bit with the fish aliens in the storm seemed like it took advantage of the budget to do something memorable rather than large-scale cgi for its own sake.  Some of the cgi is a bit ropey, but what can you do?
Anyway, like I say, this is probably complete rubbish, but it's enjoyable rubbish, and it often illustrates that its heart is in the right place.  Probably my favorite of the DCMU films so far.

* Though sadly nothing worth your time since Space battleship Yamato, and while the likes of Enthiran and Ra.One were fun distractions, I have high hopes for The Wandering Earth, though any breakout success for it will surely spell doom for that Seveneaves adaptation.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Professor Bear on 11 February, 2019, 02:04:38 PM
What foul sorcery does Nicole Kidman practice to still look this way?

CGI.

Apestrife

Paddington 2
Lovely film. Lots of fun and lots of heart. +5 Joy gained from watching it. Can never grow to old to enjoy this sort of film.

How's the first one? Anyone seen it?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Apestrife on 11 February, 2019, 08:45:35 PM
How's the first one? Anyone seen it?

Really good. Although I haven't (yet) seen the second, everyone seems to think it's better than the first, so you might not enjoy it as much watching them in reverse order...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.