Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: broodblik on 20 October, 2019, 04:39:44 PM
Watched Aladdin but I must say I preferred the animation one

I was the same with The Lion King.

Keef Monkey

Paddington, which was pretty much exactly what we needed to shake the Sunday blues. I don't often watch that kind of family fare but it's just so nice and genuinely witty that it was impossible not to get carried along. I laughed very hard when his baguette went in to the mail tube, but that was one laugh of many. Looking forward to giving the sequel a watch sometime.

Hawkmumbler

Paddington is very delightful, just one of those wonderful genuinely feel good movies.

CalHab

Mandy, which was shocking, haunting, baffling and demands another viewing. It's a film which has clear influences but manages to be original. I'm curious to see what Panos Cosmatos (what a great name for a director!) does next. Nicolas Cage goes full Nicolas Cage, which is wonderful to see.

CalHab

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 21 October, 2019, 09:03:53 AM
Paddington, which was pretty much exactly what we needed to shake the Sunday blues. I don't often watch that kind of family fare but it's just so nice and genuinely witty that it was impossible not to get carried along. I laughed very hard when his baguette went in to the mail tube, but that was one laugh of many. Looking forward to giving the sequel a watch sometime.

Be prepared for Hugh Grant's greatest-ever performance in the sequel.

von Boom

Quote from: CalHab on 21 October, 2019, 01:16:12 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 21 October, 2019, 09:03:53 AM

Be prepared for Hugh Grant's greatest-ever performance in the sequel.
Precisely that.

broodblik

I enjoyed both Paddington movies and can recommended it to any family.

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 October, 2019, 08:23:21 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 20 October, 2019, 04:39:44 PM
Watched Aladdin but I must say I preferred the animation one

I was the same with The Lion King.

It looks like Disney is running out of ideas. The are remaking all their animation movies into live action movies. What happens when they are done ? Start remaking Star Wars Episode IV ?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

What Disney are doing is a modern version of a practice they have pushed since the birth of the product.

Back before home video - the Disney fillums were periodically re-released to help find a new audience (typically parents taking kids and thereby indoctrinating them into the way of the Mouse) and even once the VHS era began they would only allow a film to be available for so long before it was withdrawn.

These films would then be re-released as a new 'faffed about with' edition a few years later, and this process has carried on till today.

All these new 'live' versions are is a way of continuing to market the original IP, keeping kids watching and further growing the brand.

As for the recent 'live action' films - I liked the Jungle Book one, but have avoided the rest - I'd rather watch the original animation.

Hawkmumbler

You also just have to look at Disneys back catalog being uploaded to Disney+. Before they started acquiring everything in existence, 90% of Disneys output was absolute dreck.

Bolt-01

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 21 October, 2019, 03:29:58 PM
Before they started acquiring everything in existence, 90% of Disneys output was absolute dreck.

Is Absolute Dreck the one where Donkey has half-dragon babies? Cos that was Dreamworks.

Professor Bear

Disney didn't factor provincial VHS rental outlets into this marketing scam, though - my local was offering Song Of The South for rent right up until the day it suddenly closed down in the late 2000s.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 October, 2019, 06:23:24 PM
Disney didn't factor provincial VHS rental outlets into this marketing scam, though - my local was offering Song Of The South for rent right up until the day it suddenly closed down in the late 2000s.

I've still got a VHS original of that.

Mardroid

Zombieland: Double Tap

I think I might  prefer the first film a bit, but this was good fun, and pretty amusing.

Keef Monkey

Eve of Destruction, which I thought was an '80s relic but just checked and it came out in '91. It's another of those cheesy straight to video Terminator knock-offs that were all over the place back then. Exactly the kind of thing me and my friends would have rented on VHS when we were definitely too young to watch it so I had a lot of fun watching it from that perspective. The USP is that the killer robot woman is based on the image and memories of the scientist who designed her, so she has to help the grizzled government assassin man (Gregory Hines absolutely nailing straight-to-video-government-assassin-man) while he constantly shakes his head in disbelief at the hubris of science.

A bad film, but one of those time capsule movies that's so of an era that it was good fun, even had a couple of decent ideas in amongst all the cheddar.