Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Film & TV / Re: Jigsaw
« Last post by Colin YNWA on Today at 07:35:44 pm »
What would be really terrifying is if Jigsaw was actually a movie of Noseybonk - now he was pretty damned creepy!
News / Re: Rebellion To Reprint The Last American
« Last post by Frank on Today at 07:22:37 pm »
I was wondering how it came about, especially at Epic. So many 2000AD artists and writers ended up at Vertigo at the time but this one went 'across the street' ... it didn't end up a Berger Book like Sandman, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing. All being made by UK writers poached by DC. Maybe the Creator Owned angle was stronger at Epic at the time.

Wagner and Grant wrote Detective Comics * and created Outcasts for DC.

DC flat out rejected their other pitches (The Bogie Man, Bob The Galactic Bum, and Genghis Grimtoad) **, and their work eschews the literary affectations that attracted Karen Berger to other British writers, so maybe Epic just represented the path of least resistance. ***

* Wagner left Grant to write Batman solo when disappointing royalties proved less rewarding than their UK page rate, and Outcasts editor Andy Helfer was so uncommunicative that Cam Kennedy was despatched to New York to ascertain whether DC still wanted the book. The experience inspired the Dredd story The Art Of Kenny Who? (477-479).

** After the difficulty of breaking in, DC created the Batman book Shadow Of The Bat specifically for Grant and Norm Breyfogle. Grant wrote The Demon and Lobo for DC, and reunited with Wagner for Bob The Galactic Bum and DC's short lived Legends Of The Law Judge Dredd title. Wagner gave DC/Paradox/Vertigo a few Batman one-offs, Chain Gang War, The Big Book Of Martyrs, and A History Of Violence.

*** Wagner and Grant were desperate to escape IPC, having fallen out with editorial and management. Presumably, they would have been happy to work both sides of the fence in the US, but the only other Marvel work I can think of them doing is some Punisher (and Spiderman?) one-shots.
Despite the odd running order I loved this volume. It's great to see a character get such a good send off with stellar Ridgway art to boot. A really good addition to this collection.
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by Hawkmumbler on Today at 07:02:33 pm »
Just watched The Thing (John Carpenter's) for the first time in years and I enjoyed it as much as I remember enjoying it back in the day, whenever I saw it last.

Yeah very enjoyable and lean film making.

Agreed on all accounts! A masterful movie and one of, if not THE, deffinitive Lovecraftian horror movies. Just superb.
News / Re: Rebellion To Reprint The Last American
« Last post by Paul Moore on Today at 06:41:30 pm »
I loved Epic at that time, and the old magazine that preceeded it, i only grudgingly moved my interest to vertigo when it folded. All i remember of Toxic was that it show promise but wasnt very cohesive (thatll be the lack of an editor then)
Off Topic / Re: RIPs
« Last post by Andy Lambert on Today at 06:39:00 pm »
Farewell to the lovely Deborah Watling.
Another member of the TARDIS family has left us - I hope she's reunited with her dad who she adored.
Want it! (The book that is)
Film & TV / Re: Stargate
« Last post by Professor Bear on Today at 05:33:39 pm »
At that point, SGU was all that was left of the Stargate franchise, so MGM had to give it another season and hope that ratings improved, otherwise their franchise was toast.
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by Old Tankie on Today at 05:19:47 pm »
"Dunkirk" - good action scenes and some good acting but many factual inaccuracies, too much emphasis on the small ships, 7 out of 10 for me.
Film & TV / Re: Stargate
« Last post by Tjm86 on Today at 05:00:52 pm »
Stargate without travel?

Still wish they finish off Universe
God no. SG1 was great fun as was Atlantis. Universe was poor from the off imo

I'd go with that.  They took a really interesting concept, a quality actor and then stripped out all of the best bits of Stargate, added in a selection of annoying characters and served up some of the most banal stories imaginable.  How it made it to the second series is beyond me.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10