Main Menu

Recent posts

Prog / Prog 2379 - Humanity on the Br...
Last post by Richard - Today at 12:39:47 AM
:o

Proteus Vex -- say it ain't so!
Off Topic / Re: Threadjacking!
Last post by JayzusB.Christ - 22 April, 2024, 10:44:38 PM
I do remember watching I, Claudius happened not long after Rome, and the last emperor of the latter was the first of the former - can't remember his name though.  So I watched them back to back and despite the massive drop in production values it was a straight run of Roman history.  Great stuff; though I've since learned that Caligula's depravity may well have been exaggerated a lot - it was just that people didn't like him much. Still an absolute masterclass in acting by John Hurt, of course.

Off Topic / Re: Threadjacking!
Last post by The Legendary Shark - 22 April, 2024, 09:39:11 PM

I think Bernard Hill played an officer in the Praetorian Guard, the one who finds Claudius hiding behind the curtain if memory serves. Centurion Yosser - "Gizzan emperor, go on, gizz 'im."

I'm on to Spartacus (again) now. Next time I'm in a Roman mood I'm gonna do Spartacus first, then Rome, then I, Claudius because they all happen within a few decades of each other. Maybe I'll even top off that future binge with Gladiator, because why not?

Suggestions / Re: 2000AD app - double page s...
Last post by Doomlord66 - 22 April, 2024, 09:26:21 PM
I use Comic Screen for all my comics on my tablet. Seems to handle everything ok
Help! / Re: Rebellion and Rights to Ea...
Last post by Steve Green - 22 April, 2024, 09:16:21 PM
Hibernia already reprinted some of it, I'm not sure if that was before John challenged DDC over it though.

Not the Photo-strips though, I vaguely remember something about model release forms could be an issue (not necessarily for Doomlord but in general)

Or reproducing them was more of a headache/questionable popularity than the drawn strips?
Film & TV / Re: Current TV Boxset Addictio...
Last post by PsychoGoatee - 22 April, 2024, 09:08:15 PM
I can explain! :D When I mentioned I got Zeta Gundam with the DVD box, I mean when it came out in 2004! ZZ was not released in English officially until I wanna say 15 years or so later, though there were fansubs, and fan opinion at the time was ZZ was ok/cool but you could skip it. It has risen in status as a fan fav. I've always meant to watch it though, so for sure I'll give it a go on my latest Tomino go. Happy to hear you're digging it!

So much Gundam to watch for sure, and other Tomino shows like Dunbine etc I've meant to see.
Suggestions / Re: 2000AD app - double page s...
Last post by JohnCKirk - 22 April, 2024, 09:07:14 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 22 April, 2024, 05:31:48 AMI am reading the prog and meg via my iPad as well. I do not experience the same problems.

Try the following:
1. Go to Account
2. I have under the Reading settings: Page Animation, Display side by side and Prevent Screen Timeout ticked

I have the same boxes ticked, but that didn't help. In particular, the "side by side" option only applies when the tablet is in landscape mode. So, if I read the whole comic that way, it would be fine, but then I'd be reading at 50% size. (As Funt Solo says, this wouldn't be an issue for reading on a desktop monitor, and that might be the best solution.)

Do you read all issues in landscape mode, or switch between portrait and landscape?

QuoteMy problem with the app is more the continuous time-outs I get and how it refresh the content. The reading part I am fine with but the app behaves poorly slow when content is available were you have to close and re-open the app to start your downloads

Yeah, that's also a problem for me: I generally have to close and re-open the app each time there's a new issue available. I forgot to mention it here, but it's something I think of whenever I see the tips that say "Don't close apps, it wastes more battery than leaving them running".

While I'm moaning, another issue is metadata. I'd like the app to keep track of which issues I've read, particularly if I buy a bundle of back issues. (Other apps already do this, e.g. Marvel Unlimited, and so do streaming services like Disney+.)

As it stands, I download issues, and they say "Unread". After I read them in the app, the "Unread" status disappears (which is correct). However, if I then delete them and download them again, they say "Unread" again. That implies that the flag is only attached to the local copy, rather than being synced with the server.

I've been able to work around this by having a separate document with a "to do" list of unread comics, but it would be nice if the app could do that for me.
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by PsychoGoatee - 22 April, 2024, 09:01:55 PM
Now I am looking forward to it. :D watch out Claremont!
Help! / Re: Rebellion and Rights to Ea...
Last post by nxylas - 22 April, 2024, 08:41:55 PM
I checked on the Downthetubes "who owns what" page, and it looks like it is only Doomlord that is disputed. Apparently, John and Alan challenged "The Dan Dare Corporation" to prove that he owned the rights to Doomlord, and he was unable to do so, which makes any reprint unlikely for the foreseeable future.
Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Colin YNWA - 22 April, 2024, 08:01:36 PM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 22 April, 2024, 07:21:09 PMCool read, I'll have to check out some Power Pack now! I've been enjoying Claremont X-Men, I'm in the 170s, and Power Pack #27 is coming up in a crossover there. And Louise Simonson sounds cool on podcasts, seems like the 80s was a real high point for Marvel.

Ah... you ain't going to like my next post!

Quote from: Tomwe on 22 April, 2024, 04:29:32 PMThis post makes me want to go buy Power Pack. But I know I own Power Pack in a longbox already. Oh I wonder how much effort it would be to find them. And which I have. Not a complete run I don't think. But enough to stop me spaffing ££ on eBay today that's for sure. The TBPs would have to be complete for me to go that route. No Epics, Marvel? Come on!

Oh digging is half the fun surely... or is that just me? Yeah shame there isn't an option beyond the Omnibus really these days. They didn't even get an Essential Collection.