Main Menu

Prog 2031: All The President's Men

Started by Jim_Campbell, 13 May, 2017, 04:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Another cracking prog in a run of fine form, IMO.

Dredd speeds along with a proper old-school vibe, Eglington's script hits just the right tone and Dyer continues to channel his inner Cam Kennedy to great effect.

Brink again is superb. Tense, literally claustrophobic, big ideas churning just below the surface and gear-shift at the end that works brilliantly.

Defoe is my favourite Mills strip in many years, and is lent a new vigour by MacNeil sepia-hued art. The script, unsurprisingly, heaves a little too much unsubtle commentary into the mix, but there's still much to enjoy.

Scarlet Traces focuses in on some personal peril after the large-scale action of the previous issue, and D'israeli, as always, handles both with care and skill.

Deadworld just oozes menace and decay, exactly as it should. I have no idea where Kek-W is going with this, which is all to the good and surprising considering we (at least notionally) know how this story plays out. The unshakeable feeling that This Will Not End well adds to the mounting sense of dread. No pun intended.

A fine prog, in a lengthy run of fine progs. Bravo.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Banners

CalHab

I was reading the prog this morning and realised there's there isn't a dud in there. It's all quality. Well done Tharg!

Darren Stephens

Nick Dyer really delivers on this Dredd strip. It's awesome!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Colin YNWA

Well in an unthinkable turn of events a busy weekend, for reason that will be smeared on this board soon enough and even though the Prog arrived yesterday I've only just had time to read it. What's the excuse for the rest of ya???

Anyway worth saying I LOVE the cover.While its always a delight to see Cliff Robinson's iconic Dredd images its even nicer when he does something different and more directly story related and this is a perfect example. Just sublime.

As is Dredd itself, loving this one and Dyer can draw my strip any day. Wonderful stuff.

Defoe on the other hand has once again flattered to deceive. I was enjoying this to start, possibly lulled by Colin MacNeils still glorious art. As its gone on however its getting more plodding and unsubtle. Its a struggle to read again now and unlike Jim its probably my least favourite Mills strip of late.

Blink on the other hand is also Sublime and if the Prog had been this order (the one I'd mistakenly done this twoddle in) we'd have had a rubblish sandwich on sublime bread... I'm best movoing on from this aren't I. Anyway Blink - GENIUS more like.

While the last two strips can't quite live up to the first two's standard (in the Prog not my write up) they are still very good. Scarlet Traces explodes along and Deadworld  creepily advances.

The Prog hitting a 4 - 1 ratio at the moment is doing just fine... me I'm mirandering badly and I not Tharg musr do better.

All-Comic.com

Fantastic prog! And a much better cover than last week haha. Our 5-Star review can be found here: http://all-comic.com/2017/2000-ad-prog-2031/

TordelBack

Fantastic cover, Cliif at his very best.
Dredd is probably Star Baker this week, an intriguingly extrapolated plot rich with satire, and beautifully drawn and coloured.  Some of the best city environments in recent years.
Defoe continues to be buoyed by Colin's glorious art, and Mills' meditations on the writing game are amusing, but maybe we need to get on with the plot now.
Brink takes some time out to bring us all up to speed, but is none the worse for that.  I think this terrific strip works brilliantly as a weekly serial, with constantly rising tension and layered mysteries, but I wonder whether it would seem a bit slight in collected form?  Anyway, it's still fantastic stuff.
Scarlet Traces continues to be a joy to behold, some of Edginton and Brooker's best ever work, working its way briskly through a strong plot that gives ample opportunity for great visuals. 
Deadworld is just hideous. 

norton canes

Bit of a strange prog, this one. Both Dredd and Defoe are excellent stories but these instalments are weighed down by a little heavy-handed satire. At least the Dredd story has an absorbing plot, whereas the storyline in Defoe meanders far too much. Brink delivers the goods yet again. Still not 100% on Scarlet Traces but I've come to accept that it's just mad and should be enjoyed as such. Deadworld is as satisfyingly gruesome as ever. If one tiny thing lets Dave Kendall's art down, it's that his 'normal' characters look every bit as grisly as his undead ones :)

The cover is cool too. Shades of this notorious NME cover?

Jacqusie

I remember that NME, it was around the time I started buying it. Tanita Tikaram & the Josh Trio - blasts from the past!

Hawkmumbler

Another bloody brilliant prog! Dredd really gets all my love though from a brilliant creative team, and who would have though we could squeeze out another Bad Bob story after Origin?! Tharg really does employ the best writers to work on Dredd.

A.Cow

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 21 May, 2017, 03:08:38 PM
Another bloody brilliant prog! Dredd really gets all my love though from a brilliant creative team, and who would have though we could squeeze out another Bad Bob story after Origin?! Tharg really does employ the best writers to work on Dredd.

I'm hoping that this isn't the last we've heard from the Sons of Booth.  There's plenty of scope here to develop the whole Booth conspiracy notion further; indeed, if a flying tanker were to crash into his iso-block* leading to his escape, Kelvin has the potential to become a nice recurring minor villain.

One thing, though: what the hell's going on with the light reflection on his glasses?
____
* (which seems to happen an awful lot in MC-1)

JoFox2108

My 2000AD usually arrives around the time I wake up on Saturday morning and I do my best to try to make it last as long as possible. I read some Case Files in between stories, look at some 2000AD podcasts.  Sometimes I can get to Monday after work.  But this Saturday was so BRILLIANT - I went right through it in 30 minutes....drokk!

I thought the cover was awesome - Cliff Robinson's art looks amazing!!!

Other highlights for me were the Dredd story which I felt was really strong and well timed, and Deadworld which continues to blow my mind.

Although I generally much prefer colour strips, I do really enjoy Colin MacNeil's toned black and white style in Defoe.  It gives it a different character and yet is still easily readable.

Other stories - excellent as usual!

Thanks for making such a brilliant comic - for my money it beats the stuff Marvel and DC are putting out hands down!
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 May, 2017, 10:03:31 AM
Fantastic cover, Cliif at his very best.
Dredd is probably Star Baker this week, an intriguingly extrapolated plot rich with satire, and beautifully drawn and coloured.  Some of the best city environments in recent years.
Defoe continues to be buoyed by Colin's glorious art, and Mills' meditations on the writing game are amusing, but maybe we need to get on with the plot now.
Brink takes some time out to bring us all up to speed, but is none the worse for that.  I think this terrific strip works brilliantly as a weekly serial, with constantly rising tension and layered mysteries, but I wonder whether it would seem a bit slight in collected form?  Anyway, it's still fantastic stuff.
Scarlet Traces continues to be a joy to behold, some of Edginton and Brooker's best ever work, working its way briskly through a strong plot that gives ample opportunity for great visuals. 
Deadworld is just hideous.

^^^^ This, that is all. :-X
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me