Main Menu

Doomsday for Dredd/mega city?

Started by marko10174, 18 August, 2017, 07:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

I'm about to make a purchase, which one comes first? Thanks creeps

EDazzling

Frank

The two were originally published in tandem; 24 pages of 'Dredd' (in 2000ad), followed by 10 pages of 'Megacity' (in the Megazine), followed by another 24 pages of 'Dredd' ...

They were designed to be read independently, though (after readers moaned about having to buy the Meg and the prog to follow Judgement Day and Wilderlands). 'Megacity' should really be called 'Wot I did During Doomsday, by Galen DeMarco (36-28-34)'.

Some lovely art aside, 'Megacity' is very much the lesser of the two - and it's not as if Doomsday-proper is a classic.

Andy B

Be aware that Case Files 30, out in Nov I think, will contain both stories, presumably in the optimum reading order

I, Cosh

Quote from: Andy B on 18 August, 2017, 09:57:55 PM
Be aware that Case Files 30, out in Nov I think, will contain both stories, presumably in the optimum reading order
It's also worth knowing that the build up to Doomsday was spread across seemingly unrelated stories in the Prog and Meg for a couple of years before this. For me, that gradual development is better than the main event so I'd really recommend reading Case Files 26 - 30 rather than just the Doomsday collections.
We never really die.

Richard

That's good advice, the Case Files are the best way to go for that reason. But if you're operating on a tight budget and you're only buying old editions cheaply on eBay, then get Beyond the Call of Duty, which contains the two of the most important stories.

EDazzling

The two Mega Collection Doomsday books collect most of the prelude stories, I think?

Leigh S

The build up to Doomsdayy was fab, and the DeMarco detective Agency stuff Wagner wrote was so good -  a shame that subsequent writers ditched the set up

Magnetica

Quote from: I, Cosh on 19 August, 2017, 08:01:28 AM
Quote from: Andy B on 18 August, 2017, 09:57:55 PM
It's also worth knowing that the build up to Doomsday was spread across seemingly unrelated stories in the Prog and Meg for a couple of years before this. For me, that gradual development is better than the main event so I'd really recommend reading Case Files 26 - 30 rather than just the Doomsday collections.

I am reading Doomsday for Mega-City One right now having previously read Doomsday for Dredd.

So are there any build up stories these omit, and if so what are they?

I, Cosh

I'm not sure as I don't get the Mega Collection books but, as far as I'm concerned, the lead in to Doomsday starts with Bad Frendz...
We never really die.

Magnetica

Ok it was just the way you had worded your post seemed to imply the Mega Collection was missing some; I can confirm it does include Bad Frendz, so I was assume it is fairly complete. Although I guess to be completely accurate the build up should also include the Cal Files and The Pit.

Frank

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 August, 2017, 05:09:03 PM
Ok it was just the way you had worded your post seemed to imply the Mega Collection was missing some; I can confirm it does include Bad Frendz, so I was assume it is fairly complete. Although I guess to be completely accurate the build up should also include the Cal Files and The Pit.

Pah! Unless you go all the way back to The Candidates (916-917), to see how Volt rose to power and Hershey came to be in the frame for CJ, you're just a time waster.

Hey, Magnetica, does the Mega Collection include Worst Of Frendz (Meg 3.46) - the one with Nero Narcos jizzing around in zero gravity with his robowang? Or The Contract (Meg 3.50), which introduced the assassinator robots from Doomsday?

It's bound to include Gun Crazy (1122), which reveals the back door Narcos created in the MKII Lawgiver, but does it include Virtual Soldier (1117-1118), which first exposed the sloppy security of the weapon's manufacturer, General Arms?

marko10174

Thanks creeps, I just bought them both in the end. I'll read doomsday for Dredd first. I've already read the pit, the candidates and the cal files, so I should be all set.

Richard

All the stories Frank mentioned in his second and third paragraphs are in Case File 29.

I think he was only joking about The Candidates.

Magnetica

Quote from: Frank on 19 August, 2017, 06:42:23 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 19 August, 2017, 05:09:03 PM

Pah! Unless you go all the way back to The Candidates (916-917), to see how Volt rose to power and Hershey came to be in the frame for CJ, you're just a time waster.

Hey, Magnetica, does the Mega Collection include Worst Of Frendz (Meg 3.46) - the one with Nero Narcos jizzing around in zero gravity with his robowang? Or The Contract (Meg 3.50), which introduced the assassinator robots from Doomsday?

It's bound to include Gun Crazy (1122), which reveals the back door Narcos created in the MKII Lawgiver, but does it include Virtual Soldier (1117-1118), which first exposed the sloppy security of the weapon's manufacturer, General Arms?

Now I am on my hols right now so only have the Mega City volume with me.

I can confirm it includes The Worst of Frendz, and The Contact as well as The Scorpion Dance, The Narcos Connection and Doomsday.

It does not include Virtual Soldier.

As for "Gun Crazy" what can I say? My world is shattered! I thought you Frank were the one of the ultimate authorities on this stuff, but you seem to have made a school boy error here. It is called " Gun Play". And yes it is included. Sauchie would never have got that wrong  :lol: