Main Menu

Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Give DMZ a shot, Colin. Absolutely cracking comics.

IndigoPrime

If anyone wants Transmetropolitan for thirty quid plus postage, I have all the trades here, eight of which are in very good conditions, and the other two of which are readable. That's paper as opposed to Comixology, obv.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 October, 2015, 10:20:20 PM
If anyone wants Transmetropolitan for thirty quid plus postage, I have all the trades here, eight of which are in very good conditions, and the other two of which are readable. That's paper as opposed to Comixology, obv.

PM sent
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

BUGGERATION!

Nice grab, Pops.

Albion

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 October, 2015, 09:54:48 PM

I'm pretty certain I'll go for Scalped as one of those.

DMZ - love The Massive and always been interested in this, never tried
Preacher - To this day still never read any of this and common understanding seems to suggest I really should
Sweet Tooth - Just love the idea, seems so wonderfully different, think this might be the front runner.

I think I should also be considering both 100 Bullets and Transmetropolitan

I can recommend all of those. I wasn't too sure about Transmetropolitan at first but once it gets going it's great.
DMZ is even better than The Massive, which I also enjoyed.
All very good books and great at those prices.

I just got the recent 100 Bullets - Brother Lono.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Colin YNWA

Hmmm you're the second person to say DMZ was better than The Massive... I wonder can I stretch to three series as the more I think about Sweet Tooth the more I want to try it...

Spaceghost

I got Trillium by Jeff Lemire in the Vertigo sale and, so far, it's really, really good. Especially for 3 quid.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 October, 2015, 09:54:48 PM... So yeah any advice, suggestions, tips?
Not really. At the price you can obviously just buy the first couple to try with no remorse. Then you run the risk of doing what I did with Wasteland: get the first few dirt cheap in the sale, end up enjoying it a lot but balk at the idea of paying full price for the rest!

My views on your choices, for what it's worth.

Scalped - read the first one. Didn't enjoy it. Not because it was bad, but because every single character in it was a horrific cunt. Wiser heads than me can see past that to the quality of the material.
DMZ - Have them all. Enjoyed it up to a point but, for some reason, have never got round to reading the last 15 or so. Prefer Northlanders.
Preacher - Massively overrated but worth giving it a try. For an Ennis/Dillon fix, their Hellblazer run covers an awful lot of the same ground plotwise and is far better. At least in part because the nature of the character means Ennis has to keep his fetishisation of the Sands of Iwo Jima All American Hero to a minimum. If you think that's his best side then knock yourself out.
Sweet Tooth - Dunno.
We never really die.

Dodsy

Quote from: Fungus on 15 October, 2015, 03:33:40 PM
Stickleback Number of the Beast trades @ £1.99, large pile of them at Glasgow FP. Had been on my to-buy list for a while, couldn't pass it up a couple of weeks ago at that price. Condition fine, not with the 2000ad trades but 'bargains'-or-whatever pile immediately opposite.

Im going to see if my local Planet can get one of these shipped in for me...

-

DMZ - I'll add to the people saying the is better then The Massive
Preacher - Personally I think this is the greatet comic series ever writen and is a steal at that price!
Sweet Tooth - Loved this series but can't imagine it being for everyone. I once heard it described as Mad Max crossed with Bambi  :lol:

-

Can anyone recomend Ex Machina whilst it's in the sale?
Twitter - @dodsy84

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dodsy on 16 October, 2015, 01:07:03 PM

"Sweet Tooth - Loved this series but can't imagine it being for everyone. I once heard it described as Mad Max crossed with Bambi  :lol:"

And how prey tell can that not appeal to everyone - sounds fantastic!

Well you lot, you aren't helping, it appears everything is very good and I should just buy the lot... what to do, what to do...

QuoteCan anyone recomend Ex Machina whilst it's in the sale?

I can recommend the first 16 pages which I read on the train this morning and were very good. Just started to read the collected editions (on with the digital collections on offer are based) and it starts very well. Sorry I can't be more help!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 October, 2015, 09:54:48 PM

DMZ - love The Massive and always been interested in this, never tried
Preacher - To this day still never read any of this and common understanding seems to suggest I really should
Sweet Tooth - Just love the idea, seems so wonderfully different, think this might be the front runner.

I think I should also be considering both 100 Bullets and Transmetropolitan as you hear such good things, but for whatever reason they just don't grab me as much as the others I've listed. So yeah any advice, suggestions, tips?

If you don't already, my advice is to use your local library! I've read lots of DMZ, Sweet tooth, 100 bullets, transmetropolitan, Scalped, Ex Machina, HellBoy and many other series for free that way. Perfect for series you want to check out but not necesarilly own.

Hawkmumbler

Indeed. Libraries seem to be opening to to the idea of a wider range of comics on their shelves. My local has complete runs of Y the Last Man, Grandville, Barefoot Gen, Hellblazer, and the first dozen Judge Dredd Casefiles.

Dandontdare

Indeed - the only problem is getting them in the right order. I also read Y the Last Man ove a couple of years but jumping around the run depending on what's available, but I recently managed to get 9 of 10 volumes at one time and binged on it.

Still annoyed that Manchester Libraries have multiple copies of Locke & Keye vols 1,2 and 4, but not a  single vol 3 anywhere in Gtr Manchester!

Mardroid

I actually ordered the second Grandville book (Mon Amour?) second hand, which turned out to be ex library stock.

It also turned out to be in German. Which I do not speak. I really don't think there was any indication in the description either, so I'm sure the fault is not mine.

By the way... if anyone here is fluent in German, or has German friends/relatives who are into comic books,  please PM me if you'd like it for reasonable price...

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 October, 2015, 03:19:59 PMStill annoyed that Manchester Libraries have multiple copies of Locke & Keye vols 1,2 and 4, but not a  single vol 3 anywhere in Gtr Manchester!
One of my favourites, to the point I rebought them in hardback. (So, er, if anyone wants the first five in paperback, make me an offer!)