Main Menu

Sleepy Hollow Series - Minor spoilers.

Started by Mardroid, 28 July, 2013, 07:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I'm sure someone started a thread about this a short while ago, but I couldn't find it. And ironically I couldn't find the search function either.

So apologies for the repeat.

Anyway, I enjoyed the film Sleepy Hollow a lot. (I know there seem to be a fair few here who dislike Tim Burton films. I'm not one of them, so I guess I'm biassed, but I think this is a good film regardless incorporating [spoiler]supernatural[/spoiler] horror, creepy whimsical tone and location, comedy and period drama as it does. Oh, and a decent mystery story.) So I was intrigued to learn there was a series being adapted. I had an idea it might be an extension of the original idea, hopefully with twists to differentiate it from the original but a similar period drama setting.

I came across this article today on Bleeding Cool though. It seems they're bringing it to a present day setting with Ichabod Crane waking up after a long sleep Buck Rogers style.

Yeah. Not sure about that at all, although the review seemed fairly positive. I guess I can understand the change of time period when considering budget (I mean they relocated the Connors from the 90s to the noughties in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and I seem to remember the nineties looking pretty similar).

Anyway, we'll see. The themes mentioned could be interesting. I don't really buy that reviewers idea that including religious elements will make it bad, just because it apparently was for Heroes. It's all about how it's done.

COMMANDO FORCES

That was quite enjoyable and as mentioned above, a lot of new ideas thrown into the story we all know.

The headless horseman is actually part of [spoiler]the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and he is DEATH[/spoiler], which puts a completely new spin on everything.

It was nicely shot, with some good action sequences (although near the end the shotgun impacts were not very realistic and no, these were not on people). This has lots of intrigue to be spun out of the people of Sleepy Hollow, as all is not what it seems with everybody.

One last thing, the very ending with the spoken words, which are taken from one song, are played out before another song kicks in and both were excellent choices!

Here's the official trailer, which negates my spoiler above and also shows the shotgun work that I didn't like!

SLEEPY HOLLOW

Mattofthespurs

Watched the pilot episode of this yesterday via on demand.
Sadly I was disappointed.
Whilst it's exactly what you would expect from a US TV show, slick filming, good effects etc... It's let down in the script department.
The characters, especially the character of the female police woman, just isn't believable. She lets Crane sit in the front seat of the police car when she is transporting him to the institution. Her re-counting of the 'spooky' event in the forest is short and delivered without an ounce of believability, and then putting her career in jeopardy by effectively breaking Crane out of the institution with phoney paperwork and then allowing him to accompany her to a crime scene, where she knows her boss and collegues will be, and simply saying "Stay in the car." Is nonsensical.
As said, the effects are good, and the general acting is decent, but the script is lazy (the police boss who always seems angry, the nice cop who's like a father figure with a secret...I could go on).
I won't be watching anymore.

Sideshow Bob

Somehow managed to miss this......so will need to watch the pilot 'On Demand'....

From the You Tube teaser, though  ( Thanks CF ) it looks like it could be a quite enjoyable piece  of 'hokum'...
Will definitely give it a try...

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Fragminion

I caught a couple episodes of this. Went in doubtful but think its pretty good. It has a kind of historical Supernatural Vibe. The characters took a bit of warming up to but once some backstory started seeing the light of day it wasn't hard to see some attachment to them. Skipped the plague episode  thou. The story just didn't grab me.

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Bobblehead

Ive watched the first 2 episodes so far and im liking it. Its your typical villain of the week style show but i like things like that and at least its explained why there will be monsters and things popping up regularly [spoiler]with the 'Army of Evil' that the 4 Horsemen are building[/spoiler]. Like someone said,its hokum but its enjoyable at least.

Oh and [spoiler]the dead cop with the broken neck waking up in the morgue[/spoiler] was a bit creepy lol