Main Menu

Rian Johnson to create all new STAR WARS trilogy

Started by JOE SOAP, 09 November, 2017, 10:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

But back then most people didnt even know there are Star Wars comics around.Now your bombarded by movie promotions 24/7.

Richard

It's hardly "over-saturation" if it's one film a year, after the films we already knew about have finished. Calm down, dear!

Look at it this way: we waited 16 years for Episode I and it was shit. Then Episodes II and III were at three year intervals and they were shit too. Then we waited ten years for Episode VII, 32 years after Return of the Jedi, and now we finally have good Star Wars films again. And your complaint is that we can have too much of a good thing?

I say make the most of it while it lasts.

IAMTHESYSTEM

[spoiler]I assume Luke Skywalker dies in The Last Jedi, and Rey carries on as a covert Warrior [/spoiler], but there's still scope for more Jedi, Rebel and even Imperial stories in the SW Universe. Smugglers vs Bounty Hunters is a Space set Western while Imperial agents infiltrating the Rebel Alliance, or vice a versus, gives that thriller style edge to the usual see the enemy, blast 'em! I think one of the books the Hutts found or built a Death Star Cannon and they hoped to use it to blackmail/Destroy planets for profit, greedy Capitalists!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Smith

Quote from: Richard on 11 November, 2017, 02:27:53 PM
Then we waited ten years for Episode VII, 32 years after Return of the Jedi, and
...it was shit.

Richard

Well I liked it.

John Wagner and Cam Kennedy did a fun Boba Fett mini-series which was collected some years ago. I think a Bona Fett film could work. I'd happily watch a screen adaptation of Wagner's story, as king as he was paid for it.

TordelBack

Quote from: Smith on 11 November, 2017, 07:29:43 AM
Also,oversaturation is already a problem here.

It's not a problem if you don't look up. 

Tordelback's Top Tip for 21st Century Living: if you don't like some variety of recreation/entertainment/comestible/bonking, don't waste your (and everyone else's) time and energy moaning about it, just don't partake.

Save your voice for the shit that matters.

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 November, 2017, 03:56:10 PM
f you don't like some variety of recreation/entertainment/comestible/bonking, don't waste your (and everyone else's) time and energy moaning about it, just don't partake.

Oh come on, what do you think the inter web was invented for?

Colin YNWA

Tordelback's Top Tip for 21st Century Living: if you don't like some variety of recreation/entertainment/comestible/bonking, don't waste your (and everyone else's) time and energy moaning about it, just don't partake.

Hush ya mouth the boards quiet enough as it is already these days. If it was for us whinging about Doctor Who looking like Mork from Ork. Or the writers on this strip or that this place would probably get shut down.

I say moan about all the modern first world problems we have BUT makes sure you do it here not on that there inya Facebook and if you think on share a spare thought about a comic or two.

Smith

Quote from: Smith on 11 November, 2017, 07:29:43 AM
Also,oversaturation is already a problem here.

It's not a problem if you don't look up. 

I dont care about Disney Wars one bit,but I cant avoid hearing about it.Just to clarify that.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 11 November, 2017, 02:50:32 PM
[spoiler]I assume Luke Skywalker dies in The Last Jedi [/spoiler]

I doubt it. Doesn't make much sense to repeat that kind of story point after doing it with Solo in TFA. With the added death of Fisher/Leia, it would be even worse. I suspect the original plan was for both to die in Episode IX and whatever they originally planned for Leia's role in IX will be taken up by Luke.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Smith on 11 November, 2017, 09:05:17 AM
But back then most people didnt even know there are Star Wars comics around.Now your bombarded by movie promotions 24/7.

Most people still don't know there are Star Wars comics or cartoons so one film a year is easily digestible for the great unwashed. We're in a era where people don't mind chaining box-sets and entire seasons in a weekend so 2 hours of Star Wars every year seems conservative.

Apestrife

Quote from: Smith on 11 November, 2017, 09:05:17 AM

Never been a problem or me. I stick with the stuff I enjoy. That there are "more" of it that others like doesn't take away from that.

Same thing with the Matrix. I like the first one and some of the anime. I don't care for the rest, movies games and such. I always got the first film :)

radiator

I'm interested to see where it goes. From the sounds of things, Disney are angling this as the potential follow-up to eps VII-IX rather than doing 'episodes X-XII', and it makes a lot of sense in my mind to break away from the mainline films having to center around the Skywalkers, the rebels versus the Empire etc etc. Honestly it's hard to even see where they could go with rehashing the same old stuff after this current trilogy wraps up. That they're announcing an entire new trilogy seems to indicate they think they have come up with a sufficiently fresh and interesting angle.

It also sounds as if Johnson will be the Lucas figure of this new trilogy, being the main guiding voice and plotting out the larger beats of the overall story while other directors and writers handle the second and third films.