Main Menu

Round 1: 10 - Emma Beeby or Alec Worley - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 June, 2020, 06:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

This shouldn't affect how folks vote, but I'm a little embarrassed to say that today we get the only woman in the tourney proper. Tharg is addressing this, but it sure made me think how much ground he has to cover. That said we're voting based on writing for The Green (and gender inbalanced one) One not chromosomes, so with that said lets move on and vote between

Emma Beeby - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=EMMABE

OR

Alec Worley - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=ALECW

What is all this nonsense you ask well we're finding out whose 2000ad (Meg and associated items) writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work). This vote closes some time early Friday 5th June?

Want to know more https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46461.0

Two more Round 1 votes off start tomorrow.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

Alec Worley, for Age of the Wolf. Both have written Dredd and Anderson, and I'm not sure there's much between them on those, but AotW nudges it.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

CalHab

Dark Jimbo

Beeby suffers a bit here by having been mainly a co-writer, so I can't get a handle on where she ends and Rennie begins. That said, when she has written solo, I've found I quite like her Dredds but find her Anderson needlessly obtuse and difficult to read.

Worley seems to have a lot more to say as a writer. I didn't love parts of Age of the Wolf, but I never struggled to follow it in the way I have Beeby's Anderson. And I dearly love(d) Dandrige, which if there's any justice in the world would still be a going concern in the prog. So Worley.
@jamesfeistdraws

Pete Wells

Both great writers but I'm going for Alec Worley, he seems to have more of a handle on Dredd/Anderson and Dredd is my favourite strip!

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Bolt-01

TordelBack

Aaargh, more stress.

I've loved much of Beeby's Anderson output (not all of it, mind), and Survival Geeks gave me a great deal of amusement over the last few years, becoming one of my favourite recent strips. Her two Dredds were solid, and it's a shame we haven't more of The Alienist. As others have noted, it's hard to disentangle her contribution from collaborator Rennie, that most precise crafter of 5-page episodes.

Alec Worley, though, has all those film articles, witty Dandridge, epic Age of the Wolf, the early bits of the Durham Red reboot, some good Dredds... and the heavy addition of Realm of the Damned, which I loved.

Do you know though, much as I rate Dandridge and RotD in particular, I think in the end I preferred Survival Geeks to all of those, even allowing for potential Rennie contamination; so Emma Beeby it is.

Funt Solo

Gah! Not fair make Hulk choose!  >:(

Emma Worley! Alec Beeby!

GAH!

Emma Beeby, for Survival Geeks.  (I'm sure Rennie was just sitting there going "uhm" and "erm" and "shouldn't there be more darkness and vitriol?", and mostly just being a distraction like that. Yeah.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buttonman