Main Menu

2000 AD’s Artists Edition Format

Started by james newell, 03 January, 2016, 09:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james newell

any plans to take this further, maybe ? oh, I dont know, let me think?, ABC WARRIORS BLACK HOLE MISSION!!! Besley & SMS

Colin YNWA

Quote from: james newell on 03 January, 2016, 09:09:54 PM
any plans to take this further, maybe ? oh, I dont know, let me think?, ABC WARRIORS BLACK HOLE MISSION!!! Besley & SMS

Was discussed on the podcast (I think it was) and the problem is getting hands on high quality material to produce it from. The Mighty Yeowell had all (i thik it was again) for Zenith Phase 1 so the Artist Edition was possible. For other stuff that might justify it this would be hard to acheive... unless we get lucky.

Skullmo

I have almost every page of Tribal Memories. I am not sure that would sell though.

It's a joke. I was joking.

Rex Banner

I have all the art for Judge Dredd - Mandroid.

Would certainly be interesting because the inks are very sparse compared the final art.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Rex Banner on 06 January, 2016, 09:00:41 PM
I have all the art for Judge Dredd - Mandroid.
Fucking Hell!

Did Robbie ever complete his quest to get the whole of Meltdown Man.

I also remember somebody on here saying that Paul Marshall still has all the original art for Firekind. Might not be as big a seller as Zenith (understatement) but that would be glorious.
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rex Banner on 06 January, 2016, 09:00:41 PM
Would certainly be interesting because the inks are very sparse compared the final art.

From memory, wasn't Kev filling in all the blacks digitally after scanning? Yeah... I think an artist's edition from that would be... different!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 January, 2016, 09:50:28 PM

I also remember somebody on here saying that Paul Marshall still has all the original art for Firekind. Might not be as big a seller as Zenith (understatement) but that would be glorious.

Yeah both Firekind (Paul Marshall does have all of that apparently) and Tribal Memories would be fantastic but you gotta wonder if either have anything like the draw that would be needed. Such a shame as they'd be a thing of beauty. Similarity I believe one person has all of Leatherjack (lucky bugger) but that would have exactly the same barriers you'd guess.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 January, 2016, 11:29:39 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 06 January, 2016, 09:50:28 PM

Yeah both Firekind (Paul Marshall does have all of that apparently) and Tribal Memories would be fantastic but you gotta wonder if either have anything like the draw that would be needed. Such a shame as they'd be a thing of beauty. Similarity I believe one person has all of Leatherjack (lucky bugger) but that would have exactly the same barriers you'd guess.

Correct Colin, forum exile Fatboydale previously informed me that Paul Marshall has kept all of the art for Firekind (he was unwilling to sell it), but he did sell all of the art for Leatherjack to Dale.
That was maybe 2 years ago, so Dale could have sold on some of the Leatherjack pages since.

Personally, I'd prefer Firekind anyway- a much tighter story, with far superior detailed artwork from the Marshall Droid.

I think I have a complete Terror Tale by John Cooper- only a few pages though!

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 January, 2016, 12:50:41 PM
Correct Colin, forum exile Fatboydale previously informed me that Paul Marshall has kept all of the art for Firekind (he was unwilling to sell it)

This is traditionally the part where I say "Almost all" and show this:

(Yeah, I know you've all seen it before, but I can feel the weight of expectation from Link that I fulfill my time-honoured role.)

On the subject of things Dale has - I believe he has all the art for America.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 07 January, 2016, 06:34:58 PM
On the subject of things Dale has - I believe he has all the art for America.

Arh now there we have a contenter. Might need to wait given its just been seen... mind that didn't stop Zenith... THARG... THARG... THARG!

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 07 January, 2016, 06:34:58 PM

(Yeah, I know you've all seen it before, but I can feel the weight of expectation from Link that I fulfill my time-honoured role.)

You're a cliche at this stage, Greg!

An Artist Edition of America? Now that has legs.

pauljholden

given America was a fully painted book, I'm not sure what you'd expect from an artists edition - larger size art maybe? One of the interesting things about the artists edition book lines is seeing the art as it was drawn for pure b&w reproduction (so you see things like unerased blue line pencils, grey washed blacks that ended up as pure black in the comic, white out applied on slightly yellowed paper which reproduced as pure white, etc), when the art was designed for pure colour reproduction it's unlikely to look much different than what you see in print (well, quality of reproduction and paper aside)

-pj

pauljholden

Unlikely I know, but personally, I'd love to see Bellardenelli's work in some sort of artist edition format - suspect it would be mindblowing.

-pj

Dunk!

Quote from: pauljholden on 08 January, 2016, 11:07:16 AM
white out applied on slightly yellowed paper which reproduced as pure white

Yeah, the DareDevil: Born Again Artists Edition showed how much David Mazzucchelli added in inks then cut back with whitener to get a minimal look. Seeing "the workings" reason for buying these books.

That's why a Halo Jones book would be quite pointless as all the pages I have are clean crisp inks with no visible pencilling or corrections except to occasionally fit in word balloons.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

pauljholden

Quote from: Dunk! on 08 January, 2016, 11:23:59 AM
That's why a Halo Jones book would be quite pointless as all the pages I have are clean crisp inks with no visible pencilling or corrections except to occasionally fit in word balloons.

Dunk!

I don't know what they were feeding them in those days, but I've seen a page of Dave Gibbon's Rogue Trooper and it is similarly flawless (though much larger than how you'd draw now) incredibly sharp inks too.