Main Menu

Legend of Vox Machina on Amazon Prime

Started by rogue69, 03 February, 2022, 10:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

The first 3 episodes of the 12 episode animated version of Critical Role's D&D podcast are now up on Amazon Prime.

This show based on the first campaign follows the ragtag group of adventurers known as Vox Machina are commissioned by Sovereign Uriel to find out who (or what) is decimating villages in the outskirts of Emon. There is a few podcast "Easter Egg" such as the Dungeon Master Matthew Mercer cameoing in each episode.
Even if you haven't heard the original podcast it is still a good fun fantasy adventure series

Barrington Boots

What did you think of the series so far Rogue?

As someone very familiar with CR I expected to like this but really didn't. The first episode especially is incredibly puerile - it's all dick, sick and burp jokes and excessive swearing and I found it really cringey - not sure it could have done more to reinforce the image that D&D is the domain of nerdy teenage boys. It then ended with the classic fridging of a bunch of kids to give the characters the motivation to do the plot.

On that point, what also didn't help is almost all the characters came across as total dicks, very unlikable. I know they're the same characters from VM that we know and love etc. but I was wondering if, without having all the general back and forth between the players you get on CR that makes them likeable which then predisposes you somewhat to their characters, something was lost.

Episode 3 was a better in fairness but I found it a bit embarrassing as a representation of CR / D&D overall - I want to like it and I'm interested in another take on it, but I've tried to have this discussion elsewhere and I've found the CR fandom very overprotective of it (this is a problem with CR fandom in general imo) and unable to discuss it without dismissing criticism as 'jealousy' or Grognardism.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

wedgeski

I love it! It's fresh and unapologetically loyal to the campaign characters. Episode 3 was undoubtedly the best, with surprising emotional heft.

I've given up worrying about D&D's 'image' over the last few years. We don't need to shepherd it out of the basement any more. It's enormously popular and inclusive, and there's room for every take imaginable. I'd have been disappointed if VM had turned out to be a simple fantasy cartoon with a veneer of sanitised D&D-ism's. This bawdy, unconventional take is infinitely preferable.

rogue69

I am not overly familiar with the podcast, but I know it has brought in a whole new range of people to D&D making it almost cool to play. I am enjoying it as its own series, the interaction between the characters is well played, as is the fact that they are a bunch of misfit losers and not your typical heroes. The story telling is a bit simplistic but it may have been done to help draw new fans in.
I know that CR fandom is split over this as some miss this offstory banter that happens with D&D (but that happens with all onscreen versions of  things like this). If it brings new/lapsed fans back to D&D or other RPGs then it's a good thing.
It looks like they are releasing 3 episodes every Friday as 4,5,&6 are now out

Barrington Boots

Fair enough guys, glad you enjoyed it and that my criticism didn't have the sort of hostile responses I've had elsewhere!

I'm not bothered about this series 'misrepresenting' D&D, I just thought the first couple of episodes hit a lot of the beats for stuff used to criticise it ie. it felt to me like it'd been written by teenage boys. I think you can have an adult cartoon without tons and tons of swearing and gross-out stuff (in fact, it reminds me of early anime in that regard). I can't really remember if the tabletop campaign it's based on was this sweary on the tabletop!
Character interplay is good, but none of them speak like real people: dialogue instead feels like a collection of quips waiting to get meme'd up. In fairness this isn't restricted to VM though and my moaning about this may be a sign that I am getting old...

Episode 3 I thought was a big improvement for sure, but maybe it's just not for me. The bear is good!
You're a dark horse, Boots.