Main Menu

Prog 2002: Retaliatory Strike!

Started by Leigh S, 08 October, 2016, 08:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Early prog!

Cover - Very nice Jim Murray cover - I was never as big a fan of his art as most (beautiful paints, but overly cartoony popping eyes,in the same way Jason Brashill), but this plays to his strengths and is dare I say it a welcome return

DREDD:  As is Trevor Hairsine, this tie with Dylan Teague and looking a bit more like the Hairsine we know and love - good to see it isnt all revenge, but no big twist with the Judge in hiding

FLESH: Story starts, but really, no new story here.  The art is the usual fristrating mix of "how did he do that?" and "Why did he doe that?"

ROGUE:  Burning General is quite GFD in going for spectacle over sense but needs more talking hats.

SAVAGE:  A lot more story than FLESH, but not sure of Savage's jukebox - I mean, I love Tom Waits and PJ Harvey, but would salt of the earth Bill?  War has changed him!

COUNTERFEIT:  Very Milligan set of ideas make this ideal for Rufus - always love a prog that spills out onto the back page!

moldovangerbil

Progless in Leicestershire.  Monday seems to be the new Saturday....

Geoff

Early Prog here too, and able to read it fresh from the doormat! (A rare Saturday treat)

Absolutely love the cover. At the time, I was no great fan of the Murray/ Brashill style either. But this is a great fully painted action packed joy that leads you straight into the Dredd story..

Which is really working for me, a highly risky mission but, as most suspected, with broader aims than simple revenge. I fear a certain female judge may be too young looking and pretty for some readers however...

Flesh puzzles me, why its in the Prog and why it's illustrated like that mainly. 

The actual plot of Rogue and Savage puzzle me, but that's probably just my bad memory of what's gone before and general dulling of my wits.

Counterfeit Girl is colourful enjoyable madness (rather too many RUF!s peppered around). I also love a Prog that breaks out onto the back page.

user2000

IT'S A MIRACLE!

First prog I've had on a Saturday for many moons, long may it continue - now to catch up on Prog 2001 that only arrived on Thursday.

blixab

I'm actually liking Hunted - a new take on Rogue, well at least for the first couple of progs.

Elsewhere, Flesh - not to my taste and would rather it didn't keep coming back.

Elsewhere, they are obviously delighted with the success of Prog 2000 and a nice catchy song using the tune of Pop Musik by M - I tend to chuckle each week when I read this section first (The blurb below the Cover Art and publishing description)

Mattofthespurs

Woke up to have found it already on my doormat.
Looking forward to reading it after lunch (when it will be nice and quiet).

jannerboyuk

Woot sat prog!

Lovely cover, dredd is dredd, the traitor general is very enjoyable, the fluff stroy at the end is nice and fluffy

Flesh and savage are finny for me. The original runs were before my time and i missed the comebacks so never sure about the backstory. Decided to just enjoy it without worrying about that and apart from mills having to tell us capitalism is bad ( you know its clunky when a dyed in the wool lefty like me finds it annoying) im enjoying it

Overall really decent prog raised up by a great cover

Frank

Quote from: Leigh S on 08 October, 2016, 08:45:57 AM
... not sure of Savage's jukebox - I mean, I love Tom Waits and PJ Harvey, but would salt of the earth Bill?

Harvey and Waits make the kind of music only folk who buy the Sunday papers think is any good in your reality, Earthlet, but not in Savage's alternate 2016.

The Volg occupiers forced Polly Harvey to record a series of anodyne, Adele-style ballads about her exes, as a kind of soporific to subdue the native population. Exactly the kind of thing HGV drivers of our own world think represents a bit of class.

Waits won Occupied Britain's Got Talent in 2008, which proves he's good, innit?

Splundig vur thrigg, you slag.

Leigh S

Quote from: Frank on 08 October, 2016, 02:23:30 PM
... not sure of Savage's jukebox - I mean, I love Tom Waits and PJ Harvey, but would salt of the earth Bill?

Harvey and Waits make the kind of music only folk who buy the Sunday papers think is any good in your reality, Earthlet, but not in Savage's alternate 2016.

The Volg occupiers forced Polly Harvey to record a series of anodyne, Adele-style ballads about her exes, as a kind of soporific to subdue the native population. Exactly the kind of thing HGV drivers of our own world think represents a bit of class.

Waits won Occupied Britain's Got Talent in 2008, which proves he's good, innit?

Splundig vur thrigg, you slag.

:lol:

Honestly, if it takes a Volgan invasion to find a pub that plays Waits and Harvey, I for one welcome our stereotypical Communist Overlords.

Richard

I like that Dredd's mission turned out to be about more than it appeared to be last week. Looking forward to finding out what the plan is.

Colin YNWA

See I hoped this would happen. Last week was a bit of a slow start but as we start to get into things just about everything improved. The exception for me was Savage which I felt handled the 'villians' (I assume) introduction a bit clumsily and the Savage bit was a little forced again. Still good fun and

... not sure of Savage's jukebox - I mean, I love Tom Waits and PJ Harvey, but would salt of the earth Bill?  War has changed him!

Arh but don't forget its not Bill's bar and taste its his cover's ... who clearly has the same taste in music as me!

FLESH: ... The art is the usual fristrating mix of "how did he do that?" and "Why did he doe that?"

This is so, so true, bits great and bits grate. Those shelves at the beginning, that took me some time! The lack of a panel boarder in the bottom half of the splash page, yuck. The Carver Vs Dino fight was sublime. Over all nice to have the story start, if a little superficially.

Hunted I defo enjoyed more than last week but its still got a big problem. I don't think I'm getting anything new out of the Traitor General than I have in the past and if we're going to have a series about the chap he needs to be more than the cardboard cut out villian of the original series. Still plenty of time to get there.

Counterfeit Girl just doesn't let up. Its pace is only matched by its pulsating colours. Will the themes are familiar the delivery is gloriously flash and fresh from Milligan and perfectly matched with the art. In so many Progs this would be thrill of the week easy.

However this week we have a Dredd I was already enjoying remove my main concern with a nice reveal about the real mission and a gloriously action packed episode. While the action entertained, the reveals engaged it was the interaction with [spoiler]Seinfeld[/spoiler] that delighted the most. Even in this predictment, in this tortured position Williams managed to capture the character's arrogant ignorance quite supremely. Fantastic episode.

So yeah this week the Prog was as thrilling as I'd hoped last weeks would have been. Top stuff.

Frank

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 October, 2016, 07:53:26 PM
it was the interaction with [spoiler]Seinfeld[/spoiler] that delighted the most

"I'm master of my domain, Joey!"

Eamonn Clarke

COUNTERFEIT:  Very Milligan set of ideas make this ideal for Rufus - always love a prog that spills out onto the back page!

Love it too.
When was the last time we had a story go to the back cover?

Trent

Colin is spot on re Flesh, a frustrating blend of sublime and murkily incomprehensible.
It's the great stuff that aggravates most in some ways because you can see what Langley is capable of but there are always several bum notes in an episode. If he could maintain his potential standard then his art would be universally revered. As it is, there are just too many jarring, unclear or photographic images to say that.
Enjoying Dredd but what I initially hoped might be something substantial looks like it will be over before it's begun. The double edged sword that is the nature of the distilled storytelling of Dredd; when you get a story you really like it finishes before you want. Wouldn't change it for the world though, no 22 pages of Bendis navel gazing here. Mandroid is the only decompressed Dredd story that comes to mind that really worked but then that's Wagner for you.