Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well its my birthday today (yah me!) and I got four records (and I strongly suspect a fifth in the way0. So for the next couple of weeks I'll be mainly listening to

Alabama 3 - Outlaw
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Let Love In
Butthole Surfers - Hairway to Steven
(and I suspect the new Shellac album if I see my mate Jeff)

The last one I really wish I could be bothered to dig up the old 'Rediscovered Music' thread, which seemed to be the place we discussed our music before we got all expansive on the matter. See about 20 years ago I saw Morphine in a glorious sunny morning at Glastonbury (95) and thought then 'I really must check these fellas out', every so often I mean to and have never got around to it. So now, some 20 years later thanks to my wife I'm there. Okay so its a 'Best of' but thats probably what I needed. I was very excited when I put the CD on - after 20 chuffin' years! When they are good they are pretty damned good, a few of the tracks I might need to work with. Still very, very happy to own this record so thought I'd share!

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 February, 2015, 08:13:01 PM
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Let Love In

Possibly the best Nick Cave album ever - although the recent-ish Push the Sky away is putting up a surprising fight on that front.

Oh, and happy birthday, Colin.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 February, 2015, 08:13:01 PM
Butthole Surfers - Hairway to Steven
Good man. Even now I smile every time I see that title or album cover.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

John Carpenter's 'Lost Themes' vinyl finally arrived so been listening heavily to that album. It's lovely, very dated in places but in the best possible way. He's just doing what he does best and that's a glorious thing.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 February, 2015, 05:23:37 PM
John Carpenter's 'Lost Themes' vinyl finally arrived so been listening heavily to that album. It's lovely, very dated in places but in the best possible way. He's just doing what he does best and that's a glorious thing.
Wasn't too keen on that myself. Didn't seem to work as well without Kurt Russell scowling. Maybe I should give it another go. There's a pretty decent interview with him in this month's Wire where he talks about the difference between different types of synthy soudtrack if you're interested.

Been enjoying the stream of the forthcoming Model 500 record which is, in its way, as dated as Carpenter. Storm and Digital Solutions are my favourites.
We never really die.

Judge Mental

For some strange reason right now im really into 20s/30s jazz and i have no idea why

Hawkmumbler

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

Probably gonna follw it up with The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me

What? I'm stuck inside servicing regulaters all day while everyone else goes diving, i'm in a bad mood.

CrazyFoxMachine

The one and only time I'll gab on about it here as non-comic pimpery can be damned annoying but for valentine's me and Lady Geoffery recorded the first of hopefully many quite silly podcasts. The first one is themed around

SWEDEN

https://www.mixcloud.com/Crazyfoxmachine/jazz-o-dick-around-sweden/

SuperSurfer

Recently caught Totally British: 70s Rock 'n' Roll on BBC Four. So much good stuff. Lot of new discoveries for me eg Heavy Metal Kids and Nazareth. Amazing stuff there.

I, Cosh

Couldn't decide whether to put this one here or in the Science is Fantastic thread. The new Public Service Broadcasting record is a 45 minute of sample collage of media reports and mission recordings covering everything from Sputnik to Apollo 17 over a gentle musical backdrop.

Some amazing stuff in it but, if you're short of time, fast forward to 21 minutes and the track about Apollo 8's first lunar orbit. It's the sort of thing that's so inspirational it makes me want to cry: Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

First track on the new Shellac album is bloody amazing. The rest ain't bad but that first track. I bloody love Shellac!

von Boom

Hawkmumbler

Currently working my way through Mastodons entire discography. It's ruining my life and I regret nothing.