Main Menu

Doctor Who (13th Doctor)

Started by JamesC, 09 November, 2017, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

The fist in-costume picture of Jodie Whittaker's 13th Doctor has been released. I've got to say, I think she looks fucking cool.

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/status/928608999859281921/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbr.com%2Fdoctor-who-jodie-whittaker-costume%2F

There's more on the BBC website here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41928500

I've been saying for a while that the show needed a good shake-up and I really hope this will mark a new beginning and something of a step up in quality.

Goaty

Jim_Campbell

Patrick Goddard tweeted a rather nice drawing of this he did for the costume designer, but I think someone at the Beeb has told him off and made him delete it!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

I want to like it and I hope that the scriptwriters get their act together.  Having not bothered with the most recent series, perhaps this is the shot in the arm it needed.  BSG proved that it could work with gender recasting but Starbuck wasn't quite as high profile a character as Dr Who has become.  While to wait mind.

IndigoPrime

A pity you didn't bother with the most recent series – apart from a couple of duff episodes, it felt like all-guns-blazing, to give everyone involved a properly good send off. It was easily my favourite run of nu-Who.

As for Whittaker, there's no reason she can't do well in the role. The key, as ever, will be the writing – and the script editing. The former's rarely been regularly bad from RTD onwards, but the latter has frequently been atrocious.

Tjm86

Ah, okay.  I'll give it a go then.  Sure it will pop up on box set or summit.  Ta.

JamesC

I thought last series got better as it went along. I didn't like the first couple of episodes at all but after that it seemed to improve.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Goaty on 09 November, 2017, 03:03:10 PM
For you;

Little-known fact: In High Gallifreyan, 'Graham', 'Yasmin', and 'Ryan' translate as 'Humpty', 'Jemima', and 'Big Ted'.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Goaty

Eric Plumrose

DaveGYNWA

Apart from the obvious 'Nanoo nanoo' similarity, my first thought when I saw this earlier was that the stripes were a nod to Tom Baker's scarf. I like it.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Eric Plumrose

Hmm. On closer inspection, I see the Doctor's left ear is pierced. Let the fan fiction commence!

Eric Plumrose

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Goaty on 09 November, 2017, 06:28:26 PM

Once seen it can never be unseen.

Damnit that's lodged in my head now!

Yeah this change is getting the family Taylor to give Who another go having opted out for almost the entire Capaldi run.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: JamesC on 09 November, 2017, 02:30:49 PM
I've got to say, I think she looks fucking cool.

Snap! Stevie was all set to swear off Who again due to his Not Being A Chibnall Fan but the story possibilities inherent in the casting of Jodie Whittaker* & her looking the wirrn's knees here have won him back.

*ie The Doctor can no longer automatically assume a position of authority in most circumstances due to his being a white male. Brian Blessed is a dead cert for guest appearance as Henry VIII.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"