Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

I always thought it was pronounced 'scawn-yeh'

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 September, 2018, 06:20:40 AM
Scone (skon) can rhyme with bon (as in bon appetit): this is how it was said in my house.  I consider this the non-posh "correct" version.

Scone (skone) can rhyme with bone: posh version.

Scone (skoon) can rhyme with boon: this is just for Scone Palace and the village of Scone (in Scotland).

The Internet, of course, has a pie chart:

By the way, that's pie rhyming with eye.  Unless you're from Dundee, in which case it's pie rhyming with ray.

Right, now that's sorted - almost 50/50 split, with the proper pronunciation just about winning, do you bake them with fruit or with cheese?

Next up: is a Jaffa Cake a biscuit?

Depends if you're having to pay tax on it.  Do you get Jaffa Cakes in 'merica?  If not, were there any in the care package?

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 21 September, 2018, 12:15:16 AM
Depends if you're having to pay tax on it.  Do you get Jaffa Cakes in 'merica?  If not, were there any in the care package?

I've never seen one, I guess they're orange and chocolate? Definitely one of those things that I've only heard about vaguely when I watch repeats of Great British Bake Off (that's also where I've learned weird stuff about pudding, which is both another word for desert AND a specific kind of cake that's very different from what we have here, which you call custard). The care package we got was a lot of awesome savory stuff, like chips and crisps and stuff, and straight up candies of various types. For the record, I just want to say that these times we all pause to talk about junk food and snacks are some of my favorite parts of doing this show :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

Quote from: Pyroxian on 20 September, 2018, 09:40:45 AM
I always thought it was pronounced 'scawn-yeh'

:lol:

For the record, I am undeniably posh, and I've always said 'skon'.
Also in my house we grew up with breakfast, lunch, and then either High Tea (if we were eating early and were getting cake), or Supper (if we were eating late).

'Rogue Trooper' was pronounced 'a bit too rough for my liking'.

The Legendary Shark

Now that pudding is on the table, as it were, I feel the need to mention the total awesomeness that is black pudding - one of my favourite things. However, I'm not entirely sure our American cousins would believe me if I described it.

So I won't.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 21 September, 2018, 02:28:42 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 21 September, 2018, 12:15:16 AM

I've never seen one, I guess they're orange and chocolate? Definitely one of those things that I've only heard about vaguely when I watch repeats of Great British Bake Off (that's also where I've learned weird stuff about pudding, which is both another word for desert AND a specific kind of cake that's very different from what we have here, which you call custard). The care package we got was a lot of awesome savory stuff, like chips and crisps and stuff, and straight up candies of various types. For the record, I just want to say that these times we all pause to talk about junk food and snacks are some of my favorite parts of doing this show :D

Yeah, kind of a spongey base, not hard like a cookie.
A layer of orange jam/jelly type stuff, sealed in with chocolate.

There was some legal ruling of whether they were cakes or biscuits (biscuits have a higher tax rate) so they're defined as 'biscuit sized cakes'

Seem to recall some definition of whether a thing is a cake or a biscuit as being - if it goes hard when it's stale it's a cake, if it goes soft - then it's a biscuit.

This is why the lawyers get the big bucks.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 September, 2018, 08:22:03 AM

Now that pudding is on the table, as it were, I feel the need to mention the total awesomeness that is black pudding - one of my favourite things. However, I'm not entirely sure our American cousins would believe me if I described it.

So I won't.

I judge any cooked breakfast first and formost on whether it includes the glory that is black pudding.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 September, 2018, 08:22:03 AM

So I won't.

They'll know what a Black Pudding is (note the capitalisation) - it's a monster from D&D:

The Legendary Shark

Good Lord!

Further, I believe even the Klingons had their own version. Sounds delicious, except for the hairs...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

I don't know how true it is but I've heard that as the blood drive during the second world war was so successful there was a proposal that all the blood would be of more use alleviating food shortages than used for medical purposes (but it could all be an urban myth).

The Legendary Shark

I wouldn't be surprised - governments always have been evil, blood-sucking parasites...

Back of the net! Ha.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

I'm not saying we're food obsessed but...

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 22 September, 2018, 05:35:24 PM
I'm not saying we're food obsessed but...

In case further translation is needed :
Jam sandwich = jelly sandwich
Battenburg cake = cake with squares of alternating yellow and pink sponge cake cubes, wrapped in marzipan.

Jam sandwich: