Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Crimson Peak - v.enjoyable gothic rompyness. May be too hammy for some, I don't feel it's any hammier than Eyre, Austen or their ilk are at even the best of times - and they were certainly never as pretty as this movie is.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 October, 2015, 10:07:17 PM
Crimson Peak - v.enjoyable gothic rompyness. May be too hammy for some, I don't feel it's any hammier than Eyre, Austen or their ilk are at even the best of times - and they were certainly never as pretty as this movie is.

For me, this is vying for the place of Movie of the Year with Fury Road.
I absolutely loved it. It was the kind of movie that pushed all the correct buttons with me.
Although, I should balance that with one son saying 'meh' and the other demanding I pay him back the two hours of his life I have just taken from him.

Both are wrong, obviously, it is superb. Du Maurier by way of Hammer Horror. And from me there is no higher praise. 

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 October, 2015, 10:50:13 PM
Both are wrong, obviously, it is superb. Du Maurier by way of Hammer Horror. And from me there is no higher praise.
'Sudden sharp increase in interest to go and see Crimson Peak'

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 October, 2015, 10:57:19 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 October, 2015, 10:50:13 PM
'Sudden sharp increase in interest to go and see Crimson Peak'

Really... time and again while watching I was so reminded of Rebecca...

Mikey

I went to see Crimson Peak last night as it happens.

It looked as lush as you'd expect from Del Toro and the opening sequence was excellent. I also thought the building mystery about the Baronet was well done, though I was initially wrong footed by how straight the film was playing it (another plus). Once I was comfortable with what exactly it was doing I settled into it some more. However, that was one of the problems I had - it was riffing on so many things I found it a bit distracting at times.

The effects were overall well done, but I found it fell inbetween a full on Del Toro weirdy fest and the 'realism' of the melodramas that it sought to evoke. Another problem for me was, in yer actual melodramas (I'm looking at you Rebecca, obviously), the house intially provides sanctuary that is gradually eroded by the events. Which brings me to the nub of it for me - it didn't have the heart for want of a better word found in Del Toro's best, or indeed many of the melodramas. Also, and I say this all the time so it's probably just me, it was too long. The New York sequence was of course necessary, but outstayed its welcome for me.

So overall, it was ok I suppose.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Theblazeuk

I settled in to be disappointed by the NY section overstaying its welcome, but was pleasantly surprised by how I never quite got tired of it.

CrazyFoxMachine

Escape From the Planet of the Apes

The tone of this film is all over the shop - but to be fair to it the cringy extremely dated rollick of "WHAT IF THEM FUTUREAPES CAME BACK TO NOW?!" gradually darkens into what is quite a harrowing finale.

However it feels like a lot of it is simply window-dressing and the strong dramatic core of the idea that's still present in the bold conclusion is lost in nonsense before that. Although Ricardo Mantalban yes.

JamesC

Last night I watched Housebound on the recommendation of a friend.
Absolutely loved it. A real 'instant classic' in my book and something I'm sure I'll watch again.
I'm not sure exactly how I'd categorise it - horror? thriller? black comedy? Probably a bit of all three.

If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend it. I'd say it's one of those films that's best to go into knowing as little as possible.
It's on Netflix. 

Colin YNWA

Escape from the Planet of the Apes is a great movies, my second or third favourite in all the Ape iterations.

I watched Mad Max for the first time in quite some time last night (I've bought the Mad Max Anthology with all 4 films and a bonus documentary, a great deal at £21) and I really enjoyed it... kinda. Its a rambling, meandering mess of a film and I'd forgotten quite how much of what I remember of it is crammed into the final 20 minutes. It would be quite easy to pick it apart and dissect it to the point were it lost any semblance of what its meant to be. Which is a an examination of the dehumanisation of a man in a broken world.

Yes its low budget, yes at times its pretty amateur and it does feel very dated, but by heck its never anything other than enjoyable and at times compelling. I remember it being much more violent and grizzly and was surprised how much of what I 'recall' actually doesn't happen on camera and is only implied. Its not a great film by any stretch of the imagination, but its defo a good entertaining one, that at times might have even got kinda close to being thought provoking.

Really excited about whats up next, not seen that one in quite some time either... and the third one can't be a turgid and messy as I remember, surely?

Professor Bear

Wrap your goggles around a Mad Max fanfilm.  You know you want to.

Colin YNWA

Well just watched The Road Warrior, as I said last time, for the first time in quite some years, though as this is the Mad Max film I've returned to much more than any of the others my memories of it were much clearer (except again the iconic truck battle at the end is short than I remembered.)

Anyway I was worried that this film might not fare as well as recollections, as I bloody loved this movie BUT in light of Fury Road thought it might now appear dated and a little tame. Not a bit of it I'm very happy to report, its bloody magnificent. Like the best Sci-fi the design is strong enough to remain timeless and yes if at times it looks a little creeky around the edges, I'm thinking the settlers more 'white clad look' over all the setting and environment of the movie makes everything forgivable and the look of the film remains fantastic to ths day.

It just bloody doesn't let up either. It cracks right into things and just like Fury Road, it just keeps cranking it out from there. Telling story, underlying themes and ideas, but never, never letting up. It keeps you engaged, entertained and is more successful than the first in being smart.

Its just the bloody good film I remember it being. Which was a relief!

ThryllSeekyr

Was looking forward to the Jurassic-World film the since I missed it at the theatre's earlier this year and was thrilling (Word used near the start of the film!) to find this on the Box-office channel.

Watched it was my dad and found it very hard to get into. Didn't really get that the special was that much bigger than it's less meddled hatchlings. Yes, I could see that it w as big, and yet I didn't feel they used any special movie tricks to point his out more and might be that I just couldn't pay enough attention.

I did like that it mirrored the very first film in one scene where I think the two brothers were being harassed by the large one while they were using the see-thru-spherical which brought me back to the four-wheel-jeep on rails. I think all this film needed was some....

If they were not already killed off in previous instalments and about Richie Cuttingham's daughter....wow!!!!

I never saw that part where all the flying ones got electricuted , but the exploding helicopter made me chuckle.

JamesC

Birdman.

What a load of crap.

Actually, I only managed about 15minutes before I had to turn it off. Horrible pretentious rubbish. The experimental jazz soundtrack should've served as a warning.

ThryllSeekyr

The Rover

Watching a film right now....hasn't finished yet and it's set in the some of the more desolate small towns of Australia outback and it has Guy Pearce and Glitter-Boy from Twilight.

He's certainly shown another side I haven't seen of him, kind of half baked. Not his usual suave stuff and Guy Pearce looks very wrecked compare to how he usual looks on the sliver screen or may be this is how he is always before his morning coffee. 

I believe somebody else here was talking about this one earlier, a few months back, I reckon.

Very interesting film, and I'm just wondering right now, what if the last Mad Max film was made with the  same amount of reality as this one.

[spoiler]One of them just got shot.......[/spoiler]

Buttonman

Indie style, not funny US comedy
Walter.