Main Menu

MARCH ART COMP - SWORDS & SORCERY

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 03 March, 2016, 07:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

From February's winner Andy Lambert:

Quote'Sword & Sorcery', taking in Slaine, Aquila, Blackhawk, The Red Seas, etc...

It's high time we dabble with 2000 AD's more fantastical side!

There will be a GN straight from the nerve centre for the winner, and one for Tharg's Choice - and there will also be a bonafide 2000 AD droid choosing their favourite entries! In the past we've had legends such as Carlos Ezquerra and Brian Bolland glancing over so you'll get seen by some seriously awesome sets of eyes.

Rules for the art comp are these:

- You can enter as many times as you like but bear in mind it will split your vote so it may not be worth it.

- All entries have to be constructed specifically for this competition - so nothing you've done for anything else.

- You can enter either here, by putting it on our FB wall or by using the submit button on Tumblr:

FB - https://www.facebook.com/2000adartcomp

Tumblr - http://2000adartcomp.tumblr.com

YOU HAVE UNTIL THE 27th OF MARCH WHEN WE SHALL CAST THE VOTING SPELL!

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ThryllSeekyr

Andy Lambert

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 04 March, 2016, 01:23:48 PM
Any more guide lines?

My train of thought was to get away from futuristic stories, and put focus on the fantasy worlds of 2000ad - so you've got barbarians, loin cloths, armour and animal skins, wizards and witches, magical powers and mythical monsters. Instead of spaceships and laser guns, you have sailing ships, swords, and axes, that sort of thing.
Slaine is probably the best example of this, but you can also look to the likes of Aquila, Blackhawk, Black Shuck, Necrophim, The Red Seas, The Order, Murd The Oppressor and Deadlock. I guess the likes of Nemesis and Dandridge could be considered too. or you could be inventive and create something like Dredd The Barbarian, Tharg The Warlock, etc...
Hope the above helps :)

Albion

You did say Swords & Saucery didn't you?  ;)

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

stuartcatley

Maybe a slight bend to the intention, but it falls into the theme... :D

JayzusB.Christ

Very nice.  Touch of Jock about it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SpongeJosh

stuartcatley

Andy Lambert

Fantastic re-imagining there - makes me want to try Tharg the Warlock myself now..!

Cheeky as ever, Albion..! Lol

Albion

Another from me, I started this before I thought of different sauce material.  ;)
Based on a Savage Sword Of Conan cover.

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Andy Lambert

Albion, I think this may be your best one yet...! :D

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Albion on 10 March, 2016, 08:30:14 PM
Another from me, I started this before I thought of different sauce material.  ;)
Based on a Savage Sword Of Conan cover.

That's not going to end well....unless he has the Knucker waiting somewhere....

Jon

Hi, to anyone who remembers me. Not been around for a while, but I thought I'd see what was going on, and saw this comp theme.

It started me thinking about Slaine, and all the drifter stuff at the beginning which, despite sterling work later on, still remains my favourite part of the saga. I also thought about Belardinelli. As I got older I only really came to associate him with odd figure work, but I remember being lost and enthralled by some of his work on this series, particularly the landscapes. I also remember me and a bunch of classmates copying out panels of him fighting zombies by the Wickerman in art class at school, no doubt to the annoyance of the teachers.

Anyway, rambling aside, I started doodling this. Ideally I'd tidy it up a little more, but I've just had a bunch of unexpected work fall on me, and I can't really procrastinate any further. If I get chance before the end of the month I will do.