Main Menu

A lifetime's worth of Cthulhu-esque beastie inspiration?

Started by mygrimmbrother, 28 August, 2009, 05:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

Quote from: peterwolf on 29 August, 2009, 11:58:38 AM
Well you try designing every single lifeform and the planet itself in 7 days without a few rough edges.

God spent too long on some things and not enough on others.
Snowflakes.  Two and a half days on those and bugger me if there isn't a deadline approaching. 

Which makes me wonder who God's editor is?  Ooooooh, metaphysical.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

uncle fester

Alexandra Maria Lara is proof that god exists and that he does indeed take more time over some things than others. The coconut crab is merely a sign that God played Resident Evil on his lunch breaks and got a bit carried away.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: uncle fester on 29 August, 2009, 12:26:29 PM
Alexandra Maria Lara is proof that god exists and that he does indeed take more time over some things than others. The coconut crab is merely a sign that God played Resident Evil on his lunch breaks and got a bit carried away.

Excellent comments, right on both counts!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: vzzbux on 29 August, 2009, 10:36:03 AM
Goblin shark. Citizen Snork of the shark world.

And the Tubifex worms what are they all about? Definitely not of this planet. Imagine finding one of those lodged in one of your crevices.

V

That footage of them is incredible.

A pulsating mass of tube worms.Imagine having the job of removing them .
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SuperSurfer

Bloody hell, how does that knob worm fit into the ecosystem? Surely that deserves to be made extinct?

Dandontdare

I went to South America last year and everyone told me gruesome tales about the fish that'll swim up your urine stream if you piss in a river, but a local guide told me it's a myth and (virtually) never happens. Interestingly though, the Quichwan (sp?) indians would only allow men to wade into the river for fishing as they could easilly bind up their 'bits', whilst women were more open to nasty fish-invasion.

And Piranhas aren't dangerous at all, they generally feed on dead flesh, so aren't half as scary as people think (though they just found a 14" one in a river in Devon!)

Bouwel

Quote(virtually) never happens

Virtually never happens...virtually never hapens?!? That's me never peeing near water again!

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bouwel on 29 August, 2009, 09:34:00 PM
Quote(virtually) never happens

Virtually never happens...virtually never hapens?!? That's me never peeing near water again!

-Bouwel-
I only added the 'virtually' in case some smart-arse posted an example where it HAD actually happened. I think the message I got at the time was that it was bullshit.

However, later on the same rain forest trek, the same guide encouraged us to have a go on a genuine jungle creeper tarzan swing. After my (amazingly exhilarating!) swing over a huge drop, I asked if it ever broke - "sometimes, but not very often" was the rather scary reply.

Bouwel

I am never, ever going anywhere near a jungle. Ever.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Dandontdare

Ah man it was amazing fun!

locustsofdeath!

Coincidentally, the episode of "Dirty Jobs" that aired this morning was about geoduck ("gooey-duck", apparently)farmers...and we learned how to entice geoducks to mate. A male can ejaculate for 10-15 minutes at a time! Fun

Mike Gloady

Fun?

Not if it's all over your dry cleaning it's not.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SuperSurfer

What about this sicko:

It's a sea-dwelling parasite that attacks fish, burrows into it, and then devours its tongue.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/09/tongue-eating-parasite-discovered.php?dcitc=th_rss

radiator

You missed a crucial ingredient there:

It's a sea-dwelling parasite that attacks fish, burrows into it, and then devours and replaces its tongue.

Top linkage. My favourite has to be the Aye-Aye :)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 16 September, 2009, 11:52:35 AM

It's a sea-dwelling parasite that attacks fish, burrows into it, and then devours its tongue.

I actually feel quite sick.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.