Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I'm not really into war comics, but seeing the rather lovely hardback collection of Battle at my local library, I thought I'd give it a go. (A large portion is written by our own John Wagner, in his pre-2000 AD days.)

I've a long way to go, but it's rather good so far.

Apestrife

Read Warren Ellis' Planetary. Good interesting fun. Brilliant pulp tribute stories. The word releasing comes to mind, in more than one way, in the best of ways.

Eyed some of the Ellis issues of Authority afterwards. Didn't grab me as much, but the current series The wild storm has potential. Feels relaxed with a grand plan. Angie started of great and it's Grifter looks promising. Will be my main read after DKIII finishes up.

Tony Angelino

I loved Planetary although I haven't read it since it finished. I just loved all the alternate takes on well known characters like Tarzan, Doc Savage and the Lone Ranger. Wasn't sure about Drummer as a character though. What was his special power? I cant remember. The John Cassaday art was also fantastic.

Ministry of Space was also good and is helped by the Chris Weston art.

The Authority was okay but I seem to remember it being a bit 'nastier' toward well known characters. I may be mixing it up with Mark Millars run on the series though.

I haven't been a fan of Warren Ellis work since then though. I think he can be guilty of decompressing his stories (probably not the right expression). He can take four issues to tell something that another writer might do in one.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 19 March, 2017, 09:52:09 PM
Ministry of Space was also good and is helped by the Chris Weston art.

I'd go further and say Ministry of Space IS Chris Weston's art: other than the last couple of pages, there just isn't much else there. Which is not to say I don't think it's a really great comic, I just think what's great are Weston's exquisite designs and meticulous, colourful art, rather than Ellis's rather ho-hum story. The only flash of script-based brilliance is [spoiler]the segregated toilets[/spoiler].

Tony Angelino

You're probably right as I haven't read it in so long. Again it was probably Warren Ellis stretching an idea out over multiple issues.

Theblazeuk

Injection is brilliant, even if I think you may well feel like the idea is being stretched out it's at least being stretched out very interestingly. His novels, Gun Machine and Crooked Little Vein, were both pleasingly gonzo-sinister-tech. Yet to check out his latest, Normal. And Black Cross surprised me pleasantly as a bit of weird americana with a strong gothic and eldritch vibe amidst what is ostensibly a superhero story, though it was a little curtailed after a slow start.

Personally I have just read my wife's copies of Paper Girls , which seems like it was designed to tap into the Stranger Things 80s nostalgia trend that suddenly arrived but is sufficiently weird and charming to win on its own merits. Still got no idea exactly whats going on but looking forward to finding out.

I also read all of the new Dr Strange series from my dad's collection whilst oop north. Highly recommended! One of those big upheavals to a status quo that actually sticks around for a little while (at least) and opens up some interesting and fun avenues for stories and development. And best of all its not even tied in to the movie, which is refreshing. Doesn't hurt that it's got great artwork to boot. Anyway, the first time I have liked Dr Strange as a character in and of himself, rather than simply a cool design and a Deus Ex MacGuffin that helps Spiderman with the odd magical story.

Dandontdare

I haven't been a fan of Warren Ellis work since then though. I think he can be guilty of decompressing his stories (probably not the right expression). He can take four issues to tell something that another writer might do in one.

Ellis is one of those names on a book that will prompt me to buy it even if I've never heard of it. I take your point about spinning things out though - I bought Vol:1 of Trees and it was 100% set-up with almost no plot. I guess after about 4 or 5 books, things may have progressed, but I won't be pursuing this one. I loved Ministry of Space, and Planetary/Authority. Didn't get on so well with Tansmetropolitan though.

Apestrife

I loved Planetary although I haven't read it since it finished. I just loved all the alternate takes on well known characters like Tarzan, Doc Savage and the Lone Ranger.

Also enjoyed how each story was told. Not in a usual manner.

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 19 March, 2017, 09:52:09 PMWasn't sure about Drummer as a character though. What was his special power? I cant remember.

Besides being a bit weird, he controlled electronics with his drumsticks.

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 19 March, 2017, 09:52:09 PMThe Authority was okay but I seem to remember it being a bit 'nastier' toward well known characters. I may be mixing it up with Mark Millars run on the series though.

From what I understand it was Millar. Excessively.

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 19 March, 2017, 09:52:09 PMI haven't been a fan of Warren Ellis work since then though. I think he can be guilty of decompressing his stories (probably not the right expression). He can take four issues to tell something that another writer might do in one.

Haven't read much by him. Besides Planetary, Transmetropolitan 10-15 years ago. When he does, is it akin to Brian Azzarello? Wide storytelling rather than a long.

Zarjazzer

Batman- The Doom that came to Gotham. Lovely stuff so far but only just started to read this one.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Tony Angelino

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 19 March, 2017, 09:52:09 PMI haven't been a fan of Warren Ellis work since then though. I think he can be guilty of decompressing his stories (probably not the right expression). He can take four issues to tell something that another writer might do in one.

Haven't read much by him. Besides Planetary, Transmetropolitan 10-15 years ago. When he does, is it akin to Brian Azzarello? Wide storytelling rather than a long.
[/quote]

I'm not that familiar with Azzarello. With Ellis I find that he has really good ideas but that he just stretches them out and you come away from one of his comics thinking that you've only read a couple of speech balloons and that nothing much happened. Unfortunately I cant think of the specific stories that I'm referring to but now when I see his name attached to something I usually avoid it as I don't think I'm getting my moneys worth.

Brian Bendis is another author who I think stopped providing value for money some years ago. Different to Ellis though his stories were often swamped in dialogue but with nothing happening.

Ancient Otter

As guilty as he was with decompression, Ellis did some neat one-shots with Avatar, like Crecy and some of the Apparat books.

Old Tankie

Crecy was good, and the art by Raulo Caceres was great.

Mikey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 March, 2017, 01:27:29 PM
Ellis is one of those names on a book that will prompt me to buy it even if I've never heard of it.

Same here - recently picked up the first few trades of Injection for that reason so pleased that at least TheBlazeUk recommends it! Haven't started it yet mind as I'm still on prog and Meg catch up these days...
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Smith

Doctor Who:Iron Legion.Im not really a Whovian(I watched the revival series for a while and that it),but it Mills,Wagner and Bolland.And its really freaking good.
Was the 4th always obsessed with Jelly babies? :)

Tony Angelino

Quote from: Smith on 22 March, 2017, 06:33:30 PM
Doctor Who:Iron Legion.Im not really a Whovian(I watched the revival series for a while and that it),but it Mills,Wagner and Bolland.And its really freaking good.
Was the 4th always obsessed with Jelly babies? :)

It was Dave Gibbons, not Brian Bolland, who drew many of the Marvel UK Dr Who stories.

I think Jelly Babies appeared once or twice with the Fourth Doctor in the TV show. He might have mentioned them in Genesis of the Daleks but am not sure.