Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Sorry: didn't mean to derail the thread. [Backing away slowly...]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Ah, Funt - so when I continued, "...keep on giving these psychopathic owners agency because one day they'll wise up and get it right..." it didn't tip you off that, "keep on voting..." was sarcasm?

I don't vote.

You vote if you want to.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

You appear to have forgotten your own advice, Funt...

QuoteFor correct navigation of this thread, follow this handy-dandy guide:

A. Someone says something about politics.
B. Someone (with a prominent fin) will say the problem is statism.
C. If you want to have a circular argument about statism, respond to B. Otherwise, respond to A.

Sorry, Shark. Like I've said before, i like you a lot but I already know your worldview in detail, and sometimes just want to join a discussion about important current affairs without it becoming all about your personal utopia yet again.  So I'm not biting any more (no pun intended).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

How is exploring what I see as a major problem promoting a Utopia? I don't believe in Utopia, there's no such animal, but there are other things we can do, things we can change to improve our world.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 January, 2020, 10:48:56 PM

How is exploring what I see as a major problem promoting a Utopia? I don't believe in Utopia, there's no such animal, but there are other things we can do, things we can change to improve our world.

but you really do - all your ideas about how we can live without governments fly in the face of thousands of years of human nature. Nothing you say is wrong in principle, but it's a utopian fantasy that bears no relation to current human behaviour, society or politics

The Legendary Shark

I beg to differ but, as you suggest, not on this thread.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

Yep. Please can we draw a line now and let this thread continue as it was? Thanks.

shaolin_monkey

shaolin_monkey

Yowsers, this is a bold statement from the UN!

"It is unlawful for governments to return people to countries where their lives might be threatened by the climate crisis, a landmark ruling by the United Nations human rights committee has found.

The judgment – which is the first of its kind – represents a legal "tipping point" and a moment that "opens the doorway" to future protection claims for people whose lives and wellbeing have been threatened due to global heating, experts say.

Tens of millions of people are expected to be displaced by global heating in the next decade."

-  Kate Lyons, The Pacific Project, Guardian, Jan 20, 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/20/climate-refugees-cant-be-returned-home-says-landmark-un-human-rights-ruling

shaolin_monkey

If you were wondering how to get your company involved in dealing with the climate crisis, maybe this is for you:

https://exponentialroadmap.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/1.5C-business-playbook-1.0_digital-spread.pdf

JayzusB.Christ

I've decided to put (at least a bit) of my money where my mouth is, and start a weekly donation to a charity that tackles green issues. I have no idea which one though. Has anyone got a suggestion? Thanks
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

shaolin_monkey

Cheers for that Funt. Totally appeals to the nihilistic side of my sense of humour.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 January, 2020, 05:11:01 PM
I've decided to put (at least a bit) of my money where my mouth is, and start a weekly donation to a charity that tackles green issues. I have no idea which one though. Has anyone got a suggestion? Thanks

That depends. What are you interested in supporting? Planting trees? Reducing plastic waste? Protecting bees? Radical transformation of the ability of a few to manipulate the political landscape, thus ending the stranglehold the fossil fuel industry has on the health of the world?

Give us your thoughts on what you'd like to support and I'll throw you some links.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 January, 2020, 05:11:01 PM

Go vegan?

Just kidding. Nobody ever goes for that.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!