Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Thanks so much to everyone who's PMed me - I really love you guys. Unfortunately, my mother has recently suffered a stroke so it's all hands to the pumps at the moment. I'll get back to you as soon as I can but really, I'm very, very impressed with you guys (again) but please forgive me if I'm quiet for a bit.

XXX

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Sorry to hear about your mum Sharkie. Hope she gets better soon. Take care.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, VB. Mum's home now and making an incredible recovery. The paralysis is all but gone, her vision has (mostly) returned and she's even walking again as well as seeming to have retained all her marbles. It's breathtaking, to be honest, after seeing how devastated she was on Day One. I guess the Shark family are prickly and difficult to eradicate!

I also want to thank everyone for their kind offers of GNs to help me rebuild my lost collection. To receive such generous offers was truly inspiring and humbling and I hope you will understand my reasons for declining. To be honest, just the offers meant the world to me and are far more precious than the books themselves. You guys are truly, unquestionably and legendarily AWESOME.

When The Event first occurred, several people came to my aid - most notably Kath and Tony from the local food bank, who I did not know at the time. I'll never forget the day these two turned up unannounced, not knowing me from Adam, with carrier bags full of food, clothing, toiletries and other essentials. These people, and you people, are the reason why I have such a high opinion of and such optimism for humanity.

I do not deserve such friends but, by Grud, I'm glad to have you. All of you, even those who don't like me very much.

If you do have any spare GNs, though, I would ask that you donate them to your local charity so that they can go towards helping people in greater need than I. I was strong enough to push through the shite, but only with help. Not wanting to sound big-headed or ungrateful, but I don't need that help so much any more - if you can find it in your hearts to show me such generosity then, perhaps, you can donate your surplus GNs to people who need your amazing generosity more than I do.

Thank you all, from the heart of my soul, and may your gods bless you.

Sharky xxx
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 June, 2018, 08:33:05 PM
you can donate your surplus GNs to people who need your amazing generosity more than I do.

I'm going to be incredibly pedantic here and question how we define 'need'.  At the end of the day every single one of us 'needs' to be recognised and valued.  Granted, refugees from Syria or other war zones might have faced significantly greater challenges but by the same token there are forumites who have survived a range of abuses in their lives and grapple with considerable challenges. 

There are also forumites who meet a host of challenges on a daily basis that might not be on the same magnitude but still present significant obstacles.  What makes them less worthy of support?  Sorry but I didn't realise it was a competition;  "Who has the most shit life?"  Surely basic humanity means that we meet people in their need rather than some artificial rating of how worthy they are?  I can understand why the phrase 'first world problem' entered into the lexicon but I don't think it applies to anyone who is suffering at a lesser level than some folks around the globe.

Sorry, rant over (for now).

The Legendary Shark

Looking back, I realise now that I was looking to the state to fix the problems the state created for me - and that option was and is certainly there. It was like being in an abusive relationship, "please stop hurting me and I'll promise to be good." Well, f*ck that.

What I needed at the time was to learn that ordinary people are more helpful, sympathetic and downright humane than the state. I have learned this lesson and so I guess the "need" of which I speak is just that. People need to learn the same lesson, I think. A lot of people are in that abusive relationship, waiting for the state to stop hurting them. The need I referred to is the need to rediscover humanity, as I have, and it's a rediscovery that improved my life dramatically - and continues to do so.

That's my rant (temporarily) over, too! :)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Feels a bit apocalyptic this morning as the whole of Manchester is hazy and smells of smoke due to the huge fire on Saddleworth Moor - must be horrible for people living closer, but when you're 15 miles away, it's quite a pleasant smell.

The Legendary Shark

All I can smell is my own sweat as I dig billions of ragwort plants out of a horse's paddock under a merciless sun. Reminds me of 1976 - except that in 1976 I was 10 and having a great deal of fun with water pistols and such.

Even our two volunteers, one from Italy and one from Argentina, are complaining about the heat.

Scorchio!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 June, 2018, 10:27:48 AM
Feels a bit apocalyptic this morning as the whole of Manchester is hazy and smells of smoke due to the huge fire on Saddleworth Moor - must be horrible for people living closer, but when you're 15 miles away, it's quite a pleasant smell.
It's drifting as far as Bolton. Quiet the peculiar odore but such a shame for the locals of Saddleworth.

Frank

Clint Langley's girlfriend pops out for fags and munchies:

TordelBack

Surely that's Death cosplaying as her little brother...

Jim_Campbell

It's never Whitby Gothic Weekend again already...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Its amazing what you can get at the co-op
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Sharkie, sorry I've been a bit lax of the parcel front, looks like you need a bundle soon, will start packing  :P
DDT did a job on me

The Legendary Shark

No problem, Huffy, you know I appreciate everything you send and wouldn't dream of complaining or making a fuss :)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

As a lifelong entitled fan of Doctor Who, I deeply resent how terrible the next series is going to be and DEMAND that the BBC remake it immediately...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]