Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illyana

A complete reread since we were in break? Ooof. We've been gone too long! I bet it was fun tho 😁

I don't include Assassin in The Elektra Saga. Saga was a trade paperback collection of all the miller Daredevil issues with Elektra prior to her death (& rebirth?)

But whoo boy do I love Assassin. And Bill Sienkiewicz. In fact, I have a vintage poster of the cover to issue one that I got signed by Bill in 2005 framed on my wall.

And I look forward to arguing with you about the x-men 😁

JayzusB.Christ

Well, that was feckin awesome- not one but two of your podcasts to listen to!  I've missed you guys a lot - been looking forward to the return for a very long time.

And thanks for answering my question! Weird how full bondage gear with a baby's dummy is fine, but full bondage gear with a ballgag isn't. Crazy how the prog progressed from Rico Dredd saying 'darn it', presumably to avoid the d-word, to printing an image of the crucified Jesus with an ersatz stiffy.

Also, I always wondered if Annie and Steve Parkhouse were a couple, so thanks for clearing that up too! I was just last night reading the Luke Kirby story he illustrated with watercolour and ink - I'm probably alone in saying it's an overlooked classic and Steve's best work ever. And Annie's insights into the comic industry were genuinely fascinating.

Anyway I'm delighted to have you both back - looking forward to more!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Trying to get to SimonFraser.net leaves me in spinny wheel of death land. Page just won't load. I can access through Spotty-fi. Don't know if that's an issue for anyone else.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Lettering - Ellie de Ville did The Romanov Dynasty and One Last Night in the House of Sin. Steve Potter did The Octobrianna Seduction. Annie Parkhouse did the rest of the saga.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Illyana

Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 April, 2024, 04:49:33 AMTrying to get to SimonFraser.net leaves me in spinny wheel of death land. Page just won't load. I can access through Spotty-fi. Don't know if that's an issue for anyone else.

Have been having some odf troubles with it. Using the www helps. Try this: http://simonfraser.net/tgdrpodcast

Funt Solo

Ah - got it, thanks!

It's that this forum, if you type in something that looks like a link, assumes it's https, but simonfraser-dot-net is http. Then, when one tries to click through, it spins around like one of those confused machine-minds in old Star Trek episode.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

What an awesome thing to find on a Monday morning - TGDR! Such a great listen, as ever.
2007 being almost twenty years ago sucks. 20 years ago should still be the early 80s.

Thanks so much for answering my questions and for the shout out to my cat (he took off like a rocket when the opening theme came in again, the big coward that he is). Looking forward to seeing you both at Lawless! I have a page of old Dante artwork that I hope Simon will sign if I bring it along.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Illyana

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 08 April, 2024, 10:18:05 AMWhat an awesome thing to find on a Monday morning - TGDR! Such a great listen, as ever.
2007 being almost twenty years ago sucks. 20 years ago should still be the early 80s.

Thanks so much for answering my questions and for the shout out to my cat (he took off like a rocket when the opening theme came in again, the big coward that he is). Looking forward to seeing you both at Lawless! I have a page of old Dante artwork that I hope Simon will sign if I bring it along.

It should be the 90s at the very least!! Nice to hear from you Boots!

Simon will sign anything and everything you bring him at Lawless.

Illyana

Ep 37 is up: join us for HELLFIRE! We've got Lulu luluing all over the place, the Lord Protector being gross as only he can, and a death...maybe...

The Great Dante Readthrough website

Spotify

Apple Podcasts

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Illyana on 08 April, 2024, 04:24:47 PMSimon will sign anything and everything you bring him at Lawless

I got Gunnar Hansen to sign a severed arm once so I could take this as a challenge.

Anyway, another superb episode of the podcast, thank you!
This is a really grim story tbh with some serious horror in it. That panel where Constantin has burned up the sex worker is horrific - something about the pose, her open mouth that makes my skin crawl... combine that with the state of Emmanuel after his chat with Constantin and we've got some of the nastiest images in the series imo. The scene with Dante and Lulu in the rain though is very very cool.

Pretty sure I've said this before on here or FB but Lulu is super-evil and in this story she reaches her peak imo, but she generally gets a bit of a free pass in Dante, basically because she's all sexy: she's an absolute monster but I'm pretty sure if she looked like Ursa she'd be regarded a lot differently.

Possibility of original Dante art at Lawless? Very interested in that! Or alternately, Sharko sketch.
You're a dark horse, Boots.