Main Menu

If Hachette extends the 2000 AD collection, which books do you want to see?

Started by IndigoPrime, 23 January, 2019, 01:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 January, 2019, 12:28:07 PM
Strip-wide, Barney reckons the first and second series, respectively, had 75 and 90 pages. How many are in the third?
80 pages as of episode 16 this week.
We never really die.

Jade Falcon

How much is there of Jaegir? If it's too small for a book they could pair it up with the 86ers. I've already got the latter in paperback but I wouldn't be averse to a hardback and know someone I could pass the paperback onto.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Dan Dare but it's not been that long since the trades came out. I'm not a massive fan of the 2000ad incarnation, preferring the original, some of the New Eagles and the Dynamite Comics version.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tomwe

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 January, 2019, 10:12:34 AM
(Incidentally, the idea behind 'one book' was about focus, but also a specific book that would be possible to publish. So Firekind/Leatherjack's page count fits within one volume. Many series are far too short for a single volume, and others would require multiple books, therefore meaning they must either be abbreviated or take up several slots.)
I get that - I've been trying to be realistic about it. (below figures according to Barney)

• Jaegir is a good page count for one book presently.
  • War Machine / Friday would be multiple books and the latter quality is considered low but I still want to see the Gibbons/Simpson stuff at least and of course that was followed by the late Ron Smith.
  • Defoe would be two books. A good choice and Uncle Pat always seems to deliver a story at around 60 pages.
  • One book would cover the Steve Pugh/Nigel Dobbin Strontium Dogs.
  • The Rebellion Flesh book is listed as 272 pages so that could work well.
  • Revere needs twinning with something.
  • Button Man would be the first three books (the Arthur Ranson stories).

Andy Lambert

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 January, 2019, 09:39:04 AM
Quote from: Andy Lambert on 23 January, 2019, 10:44:50 PM
Ampney Crucis Investigates,
Maybe then we'll finally get the whole thing in print.
That's issue 68 of the initial run.

Ooh, really? If it covers everything (thus far), I'll be very happy and will finally shut up about it..! 😁

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 24 January, 2019, 12:56:04 PMI'm surprised no one has suggested Dan Dare but it's not been that long since the trades came out.
Exactly, and those were lush hardback volumes. Moreover, I suspect there are rights issues aplenty with that one.

Quote from: Tomwe on 24 January, 2019, 12:58:59 PM
  • War Machine / Friday would be multiple books and the latter quality is considered low but I still want to see the Gibbons/Simpson stuff at least and of course that was followed by the late Ron Smith.
Most of the Fr1day run was risible. I wouldn't be against War Machine and some choice cuts, but one book at the most.

Button Man: rights issues. See also: Mazeworld and Big Dave.

aceface11

I might be in the minority but Vector 13 would make a nice collection...
Finn certainly!
Amen to Canon Fodder
(You can tell I joined the prog in the 90s can't you!?)
The thing that's really put me off this run is the sheer number of volumes for individual series. I couldn't care less for Slaine, some of Strontium Dog, same goes for ABC Warriors, Rogue etc. I think it's much more exciting when we get shorter single books or 1-2 volumes of other stuff.
Matt

IndigoPrime

I suppose it depends which strips you like. Strontium Dog for me has the quality to make a complete (well –ish – we're missing the Starlord strips) run a very good thing indeed. Sláine – it wouldn't have bothered me had it jumped right from Horned God to Books of Invasions. I imagine other 2000 AD readers would pretty much flip that. At least we get a full run of Nikolai Dante in hardback.

Jade Falcon

I've never been a Slaine fan and would happily have done with less. Dante I wasn't sure about as I had never read it but am enjoying it. I've been enjoying ABC Warriors, the only content id read before was the original Volgan War and early Mars stories.

I'd like to see more Savage than was in the trades as the Wiki summary seems to indicate quite a bit beyond The Guv'nor.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Richard

I can't see the alleged problem with Button Man, it's been reprinted before. You just have to pay the creators, which Tharg also does for the creators of works he owns.

I'm not a Dan Dare fan, but if there was a Massimo Bellardinelli volume containing The Dead then it could be padded out to the requisite length with the first Dan Dare story from progs 1-11 and some early Slaine.

I echo the calls for Firekind and Leatherjack; if there's room it could also include Judge Dredd: Darkside by the same creators.

Is Leviathan in this series yet? That. Past Imperfect and Pulp Sci-Fi? Those.

There could be a Will Simpson volume with War Machine and Tyranny Rex and his Venus Bluegenes one-off, and some Dredds (if they're not already in the Dredd series).

And I know it won't happen, but I'll say it anyway: Shadows (progs 672-681).

IndigoPrime

Early Slaine is already in the series. They have a no duplication policy.

ZenArcade

With the greatest respect to all of the other writers and artists in the Friday Rogue Trooper, in my opinion only the Gibbons/Simpson story has real merit. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

rs_jr

Pat Mills twitter mention hearing something about world war three from rebellion.
so hopefully that mean we get a finn collection since he started there

Tomwe

Quote from: rs_jr on 25 January, 2019, 12:33:36 AM
Pat Mills twitter mention hearing something about world war three from rebellion.
so hopefully that mean we get a finn collection since he started there
Third World War appears to be a strip that ran in Crisis so I doubt that will run in this collection, but since it seems to have run in every issue of that mag I would have guessed page count 250-400 ish, a good size for a 'complete' collection from Rebellion. Was Finn supposed to run in Crisis too? I suddenly remember there being boarders around the art to make up the difference in page shape.

credo

We really are missing some good quality John Smith collections. Proper trade collections of Firekind, Slaughterbowl, Revere and Tyranny Rex would be awesome, as would a collection of New Statesmen. A reprint of Leatherjack would be great too. I'd also love to see the trade collection of Savage catch up to the current stories.

Maybe I was just spoiled by the recent years when Rebellion was regularly releasing new trades from the archive, but it does make me a bit sad that material I thought would inevitably be collected now looks likely to just remain in the past. I take it they've just got a tonne of their resources dedicated to keeping the Case Files in print.

Tomwe

Quote from: credo on 25 January, 2019, 11:16:51 AM
I take it they've just got a tonne of their resources dedicated to keeping the Case Files in print.
That and the addition of the Treasury Of British Comics archive too.