Main Menu

Prog 2056 - Bringing the House Down!

Started by Magnetica, 04 November, 2017, 12:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Dredd continues with Black Snow part 2 and we get some exposition as to why Maksim is doing what he is doing, some more Sov Block ted tape as a delaying tactic and a winter uniform for Dredd.

Slaine whilst still having a lot of talking managed to move the plot along quite a lot for once.

I have reached the point I always do with Indigo Prime where I don't really have a clue what is going on anymore and am not sure if I will try to rectify that.

SinDex wasn't the best episode.

Absalom now seems to be moving towards the expected wrap up.

Overall for me, a below average Prog. We have had much better recently.

sheridan

What's the cover like (the only reason I look at this thread before getting the prog)?

Magnetica

Strangely it was shown on the Thrillmail this week. Don't remember them ever showing the cover in advance like that before.

Colin YNWA

Who's the cover by? I've been trying to work it out since Wednesday's thrillmail. Some of the colours remind me of early Duncan Fegardo but I don't think its him and I'm away on a parent run this week therefore Progless and still pondering.

The Amstor Computer

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 November, 2017, 02:18:02 PM
Who's the cover by? I've been trying to work it out since Wednesday's thrillmail. Some of the colours remind me of early Duncan Fegardo but I don't think its him and I'm away on a parent run this week therefore Progless and still pondering.

Er.....it clearly says "John McCrea" under the picture on the Thrillmail.

sheridan

I didn't recognise who it was until John McCrea was pointed out, but I can see it now...

p.s. thanks Eamonn!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 November, 2017, 02:26:59 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 November, 2017, 02:18:02 PM

Er.....it clearly says "John McCrea" under the picture on the Thrillmail.

Bloody hell so it does! How the chuff did I miss that!!!!!

Colin YNWA

Well under a truly glorious cover by John McCrea - I mean who else could it be!!! we have a crackin' Prog, a real belter.

A rip roaring Dredd moves all that build up from the first part along nicely, though some reveals are being held back and you think we have an even more action packed final part next week (guessing it will be the last part???). Great stuff.

All great Progs seem to have one stinker (well of course that not true... though often it is) and this week Slaine fills that role. I think its meant to be a nice revealing character piece, as it is it a might shrug of the shoulders all be it very easy on the eyes.

Indigo Prime plays the role of absolute genius thrill layered and begging for an immediate re-read. All reservations are washed away by the simple fact this is just superb... well all reservations apart from the fact that Revere's appearance still has no real context... still hope that will come and this is more than a gimmick.

Sinister Dexter's latest has a supreme finale with an last page only Abnett could get away with - just brilliant and can we have Yeowell on S&D from here on in. I adore his work on this series.

Finally a gloriously balanced Absalom playing the two strand of the story off one another with such deft skills. Great stuff.

So yeah four parts glory, one part stinker (to make you reaslise how good the good stuff is) and I'm more than happy with the Prog.

73north

I am enjoying Dredd , Slaine , Sinister Dexter and Absalom - all good
and the stories and artwork have been great
However , Indigo Prime , this is a fail story for me , I am reasonably intelligent and I can't make
much sense of the story - I can't wait for this to end ,
and then we get the World Class new story from Jaegir
by Gordon Rennie as advertised - last week .
Note - to Matt Smith - please can we have a new Strontium Dog and ABC Warriors story soon.

McNulty

Judge Dredd: the story progresses quite nicely with more hints to why the Mega City One judges have gone in to the facility. RIP Judge Moller, you will be remembered. May flights of Angels see Thee to Thy rest.

Slaine: I never knew how manipulative Slaine could be when he wants to be. He must have learned that from Ukko.

Indigo Prime: I just don't GET it.

Sin/Dex: A good conclusion. It was nice to see a resolution that didn't have a massive bloodbath. Nicely done.

Absalom: Shades of Dad's Army in this episode. I really liked the juxtaposition of a afternoon tea with a desperate fight against a primordial levitation.

All in all three hits, one okay and one miss. A mixed prog this week.

Dandontdare

a very good prog, but I found that cover a little dark and murky in the print edition - not one that would leap off the shelves at me, but it looks much nicer in that image above

CalHab

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 November, 2017, 02:08:37 PM
I found that cover a little dark and murky in the print edition - not one that would leap off the shelves at me, but it looks much nicer in that image above

There's a distinct mid-90s vibe to it.

judgerufian

Since when was Ramone Dexter bald again though....?