Main Menu

Best Sci Fi Books not Tranlated to Screen (The Great Rejects)

Started by Ignatzmonster, 21 April, 2011, 04:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

I'm trying to think of all the legitimately good adaptions...

There's Blade Runner of course, but it does deviant pretty heavily from Androids...

In retrospect I think Minority Report is actually very faithful to Philip K. Dick's writing style.

Jurassic Park was solid, too bad the sequels were all terrible.

Off the top of my head; The Road, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Children of Men, and Spielberg's War of the Worlds were true to their novels.

I'm drawing a blank after that. Most book to movie sci-fi adaptions end up as action shlock (I, Robot, Total Recall, Starship Troopers, and Dune)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Goosegash

I seem to remember A Boy And His Dog was a decent adaptation of Harlan Ellison's story, starring Don Johnson of all people.

I was also going to mention The Man In The High Castle, but I forgot the BBC are doing it as a miniseries, with Ridley Scott exec-producing. I suspect it'll probably work better in that format than as a feature film, as it's quite talky with only a few "action" moments.

I'm drawing a blank after that. Most book to movie sci-fi adaptions end up as action shlock (I, Robot, Total Recall, Starship Troopers, and Dune)

Dune isn't straightforward action shlock by any means, unless you meant the crappy Dune miniseries from a few years ago. It's a shame Lynch didn't get a totally free hand to make it how he would've liked, but there's some nice stuff in there. It just doesn't really hold together as a coherent film.

Emperor

Quote from: Ignatzmonster on 21 April, 2011, 04:32:32 AM
The Register is going to list the top fifty science fiction books Hollywood has yet to sully. Happily before it does it made a list of those books that didn't make the cut from lack of votes. There are some good books in that list. You may recognize a couple.  :D

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/19/sci_fi_poll/

They say:

QuoteOn Thursday, you'll get the chance to vote for the definitive pick in our online poll

Anyone know if the poll is online yet? It might be more 2000AD stories made it through.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Ancient Otter

I liked the Battle Royale film more than the novel. The recent edition by Viz http://www.haikasoru.com/battle-royale-the-novel/ has a interview with the director of the film and he talks about some of the changes he made and why. It' a good addition.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Battle Royale was a terrible, terrible, awful, horrible book. I didn't even bother to finish it. Maybe that was just down to the way it was translated though.
You may quote me on that.

The Adventurer

Personally I'd read the manga over the novel or the movie. But that's just me.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Adrian Bamforth

Personally I think instead of mucking about with other people's strips or literal versions of his own, Frank Miller should adapt his own Hard Boiled into movie form (minus unnecessary sexually explicit detail).

das

how about the lord of the rings of sci-fi.......

asimov's foundation trilogy ??????
Confusion is Better Than Sex

das

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 24 April, 2011, 09:29:02 PM
Frank Miller should adapt his own Hard Boiled into movie form (minus unnecessary sexually explicit detail).

why would you want to leave out the good bits ??
Confusion is Better Than Sex

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Adventurer on 24 April, 2011, 08:01:31 PM
Personally I'd read the manga over the novel or the movie. But that's just me.

I didn't read the manga, as I didn't agree Tokyopop rewriting the story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(manga)#TOKYOPOP_Version

Ancient Otter

Personally I think instead of mucking about with other people's strips or literal versions of his own, Frank Miller should adapt his own Hard Boiled into movie form (minus unnecessary sexually explicit detail).

Violence ok, sex and nudity not?

Tiplodocus

QuoteFrank Miller should adapt his own Hard Boiled into movie form (minus unnecessary sexually explicit detail).

If I recall correctly, none of it was unnecessary.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Nothing has convinced me he can direct his or anyone else's work on-screen...and don't you like sex?

mogzilla

more fantasy than sci fi ,but i just want a decent adaptation of susan cooper's dark is rising sequence ...one of those old bbc drama serials like box of delights!