Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 October, 2017, 04:34:16 PM
Is it an iPad mini?  There's a weird glitch with the screen on some of them which means it basically goes ballistic.  Best way to describe it is like it has been taken over by a poltergeist!  I think it's something to do with the digitiser.  Pain in the neck.  Especially if the warranty has just expired!
Like randomly zooming in and out and opening the slide-down menu?Thats my problem. :(

Tjm86

Sounds like the digitiser then.  Sorry.  I would suggest cheese but the last time someone did in these parts as a cure for an apple product things got a bit ugly!

It turned out cheaper to replace the damn thing than get it fixed.  Not news you want to hear, I'm sure.
:'(

Smith

It seems to be mostly back to normal now.I hope.

von Boom

My car was parked in front of my home yesterday and one of my neighbours smashed into it. It may be a right-off.

The Legendary Shark

Jeez, VB, that sucks. Hope your neighbour's okay, though.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mattofthespurs

It's a first World problem but it's getting right on my tits at the moment.
I work from home as a writer (a poor one, it has to be said), and a homemaker.
The only time I get out of the house is to see Spurs matches.
The first home match of the season I missed because I was on holiday in Benidorm, the next I missed because of the chest infection I picked up on that holiday. The third match I missed at home was because the Wife had booked a short cruise with her sister who is visiting from New Zealand so I stayed at home to look after our Son and the fourth I missed because my Mum was going to look after my Son and my Wife and Sister in Law were going to the match too but my Father was taken into hospital with pneumonia.
So since May I have not seen my team play and it's my release from everything else but considering the illness of my Dad and the fact that my Wife is spending time with her Sister from 12,000 miles away it's small one but, and it's a small but (or so I'm told...It hardly sticks out at all) man, I miss my friends and my team.
I get to watch the matches on TV but it's not the same.
Hopefully all this will change on Sunday when we take on Liverpool.

Nothing compared to other people's problems, I appreciate that, but Spurs have been such a big part of my life since 1978, and I have hardly missed a home match since, that it's starting to get me down a bit.
Fingers crossed that I get to the match on Sunday.

And that sucks about your car VB. Some people are utter pricks.

von Boom

Thanks guys. Everyone was fine. No injuries. Just the car, which the insurance will take care of. Just a hassle that's all.

TordelBack

Pain in the arse, VB. Always such an unnecessary hassle.

And Matt, I totally get your frustration.  My only real non-work non-family non-virtual social activity is sailing/racing dinghies, but the mate I'd been sailing with for a decade emigrated, and seemingly endless random evening/night and weekend work over the past three years meant I found it very hard to get back out.  However, over the past month I've finally managed to get back on the water with a few different boats, and it's been just great.  A real lift to my mood.

Hobbies are important: getting out of the house, the thrill of competition, the fun of sharing essentially pointless interests with others.  It's a big part of life that shouldn't be neglected.

Banners

So as well as being a 2000 AD geek and sci-fi nerd, I am a big anorak for the ITV programme London's Burning, which has recently been revived on the Drama Channel.

Recently, another fan I know through Twitter discovered some previously unseen behind the scenes pics within the Rex/Shutterstock photo library. Rather than have to look at tiny thumbnails with watermarks, I suggested I would design and print around 30-50 copies of a 20 page A5 photo book so we could enjoy the images properly. This would of course be non-profit and all trademarks and credits would be acknowledged. Rex/Shutterstock offered the pics at a fair price but this was contingent on getting clearance from ITV.

ITV have now asked for at least £20,000 in advance before they will enter into negotiations to potentially allow the project to go ahead. When I suggested that was too much and that I might just do it anyway, I was advised that to do so would be at my own risk, and to take legal advice.

It's nuts. Of course I want to do things properly in terms of rights and things, but this was just supposed to be a fun little not-for-profit project amongst a very small group of nerds, who like looking at pictures of people from the 1990s dressed up as firefighters.

~sigh~

The Legendary Shark

Greedy dastards. It's like there's a war on fun in this country.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 16 October, 2017, 06:03:36 PM

Sorry to take this off on a tangent but no Spurs fan I've asked has ever been able to answer. What's with "Live! From White Hart Lane!" when the Spurs ground isn't actually on White Hart Lane?
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 23 October, 2017, 08:10:12 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 16 October, 2017, 06:03:36 PM

Sorry to take this off on a tangent but no Spurs fan I've asked has ever been able to answer. What's with "Live! From White Hart Lane!" when the Spurs ground isn't actually on White Hart Lane?

Whilst it's not actually on White Hart Lane it's the name that was adopted by the brewery that owned the plot of land that used to be a nursery. Often directions to farmers in the late 1800's was White Hart Lane as there was nothing around the area at the time and the nursery, and then obviously the stadium that was built there, was clearly visible as it's only a couple of hundred yards away. It's actually on the High Road but in those days there wasn't a High road to mention of. The name stuck as the years went by and will when the new stadium is finished despite what it maybe called. The new stadium will actually be a 100 yards closer to White Hart Lane than the old one was.

I finally got to go to a game on Sunday and what a game it was. A triumphant return! Dad still in hospital but hopefully coming out today or tomorrow.  :D

Funt Solo

On my work printer, if you send it a print job with an odd number of pages, it only prints the last one.  If you send it an even number of pages, it prints them all.  So, in order to print a 3-page document, you have to send two print jobs: one for pages 1-2 and one for page 3.

I could update the drivers, or get IT to update the drivers.  However, then I would not have a minor impediment to report.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mardroid

I found out recently that we'll be doing mandatory overtime starting next week.

On one hand, I'm happy as we get the time and a half pay, and I don't mind the extra day. I'm not keen on the fact they're adding an extra hour to each shift as well though (so 5 11 hours shifts rather than the usual 4 day 10 hours. ).

I have quite a bit of traveling, and I come in extra early too, as a certain bus is not reliable. I don't get enough sleep as it is... and it looks like things could get worse.

A small complaint really though. I'm now on my fifth week of permanent full time work with decent pay after months of temping/unemployment so I've a lot to be thankful for. I think I should seriously consider moving closer though, but not sure I should risk that until I've passed my probationary period (assuming that I do).

Smith