Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 May, 2017, 05:37:49 PM
I like Kilmer ever since TOMBSTONE and THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS.

I LOVE YOU MAN. A romantic comedy that follows the tropes of a romantic comedy exactly but, because it's a bromance, kinda  works and feels a bit different. But it isn't really.

I've been a fan of Kilmer's since Real Genius. I love that film.

Smith

In the whole heist-film-marathon,I forgot to mention Bottle Rocket.A really spirited film.You have to like the Wilson brothers,right?  :)

Tiplodocus

Quote from: von Boom on 24 May, 2017, 04:34:41 PM

I LOVE YOU MAN. A romantic comedy that follows the tropes of a romantic comedy exactly but, because it's a bromance, kinda  works and feels a bit different. But it isn't really.

We appear to have unearthed a lot of Val fans. I recall reading somewhere that he was a bit of an ass-hat though. Shame.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Michael Knight

I have liked Kilmer since I saw 'Willow' as a kid. An underrated actor as anyone that's seen the aforementioned films will attest.

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 May, 2017, 05:41:22 PM

We appear to have unearthed a lot of Val fans. I recall reading somewhere that he was a bit of an ass-hat though. Shame.

If you've seen Real Genius then you know there is no question that he's an ass-hat.  :P

Professor Bear

I've heard of Kilmer that he's no worse than most, but he always goes full-on method with his characters during filming - even when he leaves the set for like a holiday or something, never turning it off - and he's made a career playing intense arseholes so gravity took care of the rest.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 24 May, 2017, 04:57:53 PM
In the whole heist-film-marathon,I forgot to mention Bottle Rocket.A really spirited film.You have to like the Wilson brothers,right?  :)

Really like that movie. Maybe not quite up there with Wes Anderson's later movies but certainly a sterling early effort.

DrRocka

Trainspotting 2.
I found the whole thing kind of pointless, none of the characters seem any wiser than they were 20 years ago, and whatever plot there is (was there one?) is incredibly dull. More like something you'd come across on Sunday night on BBC2. Shame really, there were one or two hilariously dark scenes and some excellently shot set pieces.
Never ever bloody anything ever

SIP

I think whether Val Kilmer is an " ass-hat" or not is kind of irrelevant. I don't want him to come around for dinner, just want to enjoy his acting. 

The history of cinema is full of great actors that were unpleasant people after all ( not inferring that Val Kilmer is unpleasant in any way).

Smith

John Wick 2.IMO its not quite as great as the first,but its still very good.Actually,best duology(for now) since Boondock Saints.

Eric Plumrose

By his own admission, Val was a total ass-hat on-set THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU, something he's since attributed to divorce proceedings being instigated against him at the time. He may well be an ass-hat anyway but I wouldn't be surprised if his reputation (as that of others) is due more to people's own hubris, that smug sense of moral superiority at some perceived Grandee being taken down a peg or three.

Especially when it happens to a sleb.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Theblazeuk

Not to turn this into a Val Kilmer thread but on the Reddit Ask Me Anything, Val Kilmer was pretty adamant that he was incidental to the problems with Doctor Moreau and feels the director/execs used him and Brando as scapegoats
There were several embarrassed execs who made it seem worse than it was to do because the film was so poorly received, and the replacement director was desperate for a comeback and blamed me for the films failure which doesn't hold water when you watch it because I die in the film and the whole last half is just as bad as when I was alive so how could I have made stuff I wasn't in not work? Doesn't make any sense. I worked like a dog to make that film as entertaining as I could because it was such a privilege to work with the greatest. [Brando] was not really respected tho and the film suffered greatly by not taking his suggestions.

Kilmer seems to do AMAs like every few months and he's pretty good in his responses, I would check them out.

sheridan

Quote from: DrRocka on 24 May, 2017, 09:08:58 PM
Trainspotting 2.
I found the whole thing kind of pointless, none of the characters seem any wiser than they were 20 years ago,
Just like real life ;)

Steve Green

Catching up with some of the stuff I've missed.

Doctor Strange - good fun, lovely bright visuals, must have looked pretty great on an IMAX screen.

Now have Age of Ultron and Civil War to go.

Oh and BvS (sucker for punishment) and also picked up the Black and Chrome Edition of Fury Road.

I, Cosh

We appear to have unearthed a lot of Val fans...
Anyone keen to unearth some quality Kilmer which they may have overlooked should check him out in Spartan. It's a David Mamet directed action/thriller which eschews a lot of the trademark snappy dialogue in favour of some very nifty visual storytelling.
We never really die.