(I'll get me coat.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You and me. For about £7 a month.
Lock up your spoons!

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I think Lindelof should adapt Before Watchmen instead.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 June, 2017, 07:48:55 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 June, 2017, 02:08:13 AM
Keep the Squid this time.

Surefire hit. They'll be... squids-in.

(I'll get me coat.)

Ha!  That really tickled me.  How much?  Ten tickles.

Tjm86

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 23 June, 2017, 08:01:36 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 June, 2017, 07:48:55 AM

Surefire hit. They'll be... squids-in.

(I'll get me coat.)

Ha!  That really tickled me.  How much?  Ten tickles.

It's a good job there isn't anything here about chickens.  That would just get fowl.

Steven Denton

I will both be compelled to watch the series, if it airs, and dislike it.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Eric Plumrose

It's a fantastic visual in the comic and, as presented, profoundly devastating (unlike Snyder's cut-and-paste effort) but the movie's ending made better sense to me. [spoiler]Jon is a far more real threat in-universe than some random alien visitation and[/spoiler], given that Veidt is supposedly dead clever, [spoiler]more likely to secure his aim by framing the blue fella[/spoiler].
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

The Legendary Shark

"Perhaps we need some outside universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world."

Ronald Reagan, speech before the United Nations,
1987 - Alan Moore fan?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

"Perhaps we need some outside universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world."

Ronald Reagan, speech before the United Nations,
1987 - Alan Moore fan?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Eric Plumrose

Steven Denton

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 24 June, 2017, 08:54:50 PM

It's a fantastic visual in the comic and, as presented, profoundly devastating (unlike Snyder's cut-and-paste effort) but the movie's ending made better sense to me. [spoiler]Jon is a far more real threat in-universe than some random alien visitation and[/spoiler], given that Veidt is supposedly dead clever, [spoiler]more likely to secure his aim by framing the blue fella[/spoiler].

The movie ending makes no sense. [spoiler]Doc Manhattan tips the balance of power in favour of America, Russia in the end would prefer an apocalyptic act of global destruction to constantly loosing to a walking god. Veidt removes Americas advantage and creates a common enemy in the comic. In the film he removes Americas advantage and gives the rest of the world a reason to attack America. 'Sorry we blew up your city bro's but lets unite against a common enemy... us' imagine if America nuked the capital of every country but also nuked Washington, do you think the world would unite with America to unilaterally disarm or blow the shit out of it? by using Jon as both the advantage and the threat the film makers rendered the plot a nonsense.[/spoiler].

Eric Plumrose

Antagonistic nations won't simply forget their differences in the face of one tragedy, no matter what diplomatic goodwill is expressed.

I've absolutely no desire to rewatch Snyder's version so I'm probably misremembering but I seem to recall Veidt's SQUID technology was designed to make it look like a deliberate act of sabotage on Jon's part. And that, if we don't behave ourselves, he'll return to dish out more of the same. Veidt literally puts the fear of God into people. It's a sustained threat. Unlike some random alien squid being teleported in randomly by some random research group.

Steven Denton

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 25 June, 2017, 09:38:46 PM
Antagonistic nations won't simply forget their differences in the face of one tragedy, no matter what diplomatic goodwill is expressed.

I've absolutely no desire to rewatch Snyder's version so I'm probably misremembering but I seem to recall Veidt's SQUID technology was designed to make it look like a deliberate act of sabotage on Jon's part. And that, if we don't behave ourselves, he'll return to dish out more of the same. Veidt literally puts the fear of God into people. It's a sustained threat. Unlike some random alien squid being teleported in randomly by some random research group.

As far as I remember Manhattan is blamed for loosing control, not suddenly deciding everyone has to play nice or he will kill them. Either way it makes no difference.  The squids is a fake inter dimensional invasion compleat with psychic shock and visions. It's an odd solution for sure but works in the context of the story world. Doc Manhttan is americas super weapon, the rest of the world know about him and for most of the world he's been either a threat or antagonist for 30 years. logically everyone, even Americas alighs have been working on anti Jon weapons for decades. The film takes two narrative functions that make sense and mushes it into one that doesn't. Framing Jon would not unifie the world as for the majority it changes nothing about the political power balance.