Main Menu

HELP with collection for sale

Started by Leyanne19, 16 September, 2017, 06:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyanne19

Hi my name is leyanne, my late father passed away in May and left his entire collection of 2000ad and judge dread comics for me, they start in 1987. Is their anyone who can guide me on a way to sell these or if there's any value in doing so? As much as I'd love to keep the myself the boxes are starting to take over my home.

Thanks for reading :)

Leyanne

Frank

Sorry for your loss, Leyanne.

I haven't bought a back issue in years, but as far as I know issues from that period change hands for less than £1. More usually, collections are priced by the box load.

Buyers will want to know which issue numbers you have, whether there are any gaps in the collection, and what condition the comics are in. Have a look on Ebay to see what kind of prices issues of that vintage go for, so you have a better idea what a fair offer might be.

Mailing box loads of comics would be expensive, so you're really looking to find a buyer living close enough to collect them in person. You might want to arrange to meet any prospective buyer in a public area (with a friend), rather than inviting them into your home.

If nobody here fits the bill, you might also want to try Facebook. The biggest dedicated 2000ad group is called THE 2000AD AND JUDGE DREDD TAT AND CHAT group.

If you need any further help, just ask here. Good luck.

IndigoPrime

On the mailing point, it is still worth investigating couriers. DPD Local will, for example, do 30kg for £21.59. (I've no idea how much the collection you have weighs.)

TordelBack

Sorry for your loss, Leyanne19 - your Dad was clearly a man of taste and discernment, and I'm sure that on reading your post many of us here imagined our own kids being in the same situation one day. 

Frank and IndigoPrime have the points covered, but I think it's worth repeating that realising even £1 an issue could prove to be more trouble than it's worth.  With an ongoing reprint programme for most of the old content, digital alternatives, and increasing pressures on space, boxes of lovely old comics aren't as welcome in our homes as they once might have been.

That said, starting in 1987 suggests that your Dad's collection might include full runs of the early years of the Judge Dredd Megazine, and some of the harder-to-find later Specials and Yearbooks, which might be easier to shift (although not necessarily valuable) so it may be worth doing a very quick inventory and listing things in blocks or separately either on eBay, here or on Facebook.  Best of luck.

matty_ae

Hi

I can't really add more than what I'd do in your situation:

1) Sort the 2000ads and Magazines by year first, then sort by month and see what full runs you've got.
2000ad is weekly so if you've got the first issue in January, the last week in Dec and 50 issues in-between then you've got a whole year. I would list them on eBay as a full-run by year.

2) Dredd Megazines are both monthly, then fortnightly, then monthly again. So list a full year's worth. 12 months = 1 year. I know the first volume had 20 monthly issues so list them as one lot.

3) Calculate postage on iPost.co.uk by weighing the comics. Put an empty cardboard box on the scales to add on packaging. There will be cost increases at 5KG, 10KG, 20KG etc.

4) I would start all bids for a year at £15 + postage so at least its worth your while

5) Sell individual annuals / yearbooks starting bidding at  £3 each plus postage

6) Honestly if all this seems too much effort for a relatively small return, put the whole out on a bed and take 10 photos and just list as a 2000ad collection, start bidding at £50 + postage and see what you get

7) If that seems too much, don't sweat it. Put your rough location on here and take some offers. Most of us are looking to fill some gaps and they will got to a good home.

8) Whatever you communicate it here and I'm sure we'll help share. Don't listen to the man down the pub who tells you they would have been worth £1000s (unless he has his wallet out).

Well done for being bold enough to put up your posting - I hope this works out for you.
All prices are just my assessment of what's reasonable/possible and its what I would do. Please anyone challenge my valuations - this is 100% what I would attempt to do for a run starting 1987.

All my very best.