Main Menu

Prog 2061 - Happy New Year, Bitches!

Started by Richard, 09 December, 2017, 02:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

That's a fair comment. I just particularly like this current style.

Tiplodocus

One thing I thought on first glance was "Boy! This line up must be impenetrable to a new reader or someone with a tiny sauropod brain like myself.".

But I was wrong. Pay a bit of attention when reading and it's all top thrillage!

Hat's off to Tharg and his droids.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Modern Panther

A short video on Prog 2061

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pLGUk0Hzw8c

(The plan is in 2018 to make short video articles on big releases and collections, for comicsthegathering.com and this is just intended as a brief trial of the format. I'd be grateful for any comments you gents and ladies might have.)

Link Prime

Quote from: norton canes on 18 December, 2017, 10:36:35 AM
The full-page Nemesis panel was awesome though.

The stand out page in a Thrill packed year-ender.
Really enjoyed this opening installment of ABC Warriors, and the saga seems to be gaining some forward momentum after many books of flashback material.
We can assume that was Blackblood addressing Deadlock 'off-camera', right?

IndigoPrime

Finally had time to read this after weeks of work madness and then Christmas. I'm honestly not sure how I felt about this end-of-year Prog. I almost wish it was a bit more like an annual of old, with more standalone tales, but I recognise the commercial implications of that (rather than a jumping-on Prog that might have people continue).

I'd certainly echo one of the grumbles from elsewhere, that some strips aren't that easy to leap back into. In This Prog helps, but I'd have happily 'spent' three pages of this Prog on overviews for Brass Sun, Savage and ABC Warriors.

As for the actual strips, I enjoyed Dredd, which nicely continues the previous arc, and looks to be the start of something a bit different. Brass Sun has long been a favourite, and so I'm already intrigued. I must admit this one really needs a re-read, though.

Things for me take a dip with Savage, which started to lose me some way back. Of Mills's modern work, it's among the best, but I at some point lost the strands of what was going on. Bad Company never really won me back, and so also is a bit HMMM for me, although the art is great.

The Fall of Deadworld is an amusingly anti-festive tale, and I hope adds another strand to what's already for me a standout series in 2000 AD's history. A properly grim horror that works very nicely. Ace Trucking I can take or leave, but won't begrudge an appearance for at this time of year. If nothing else, it's nice to follow Deadworld with something throwaway and amusing.

I don't really know about ABC Warriors. The Langley run never really clicked with me. This set-up at least looks interesting. It'd be nice to have the series eradicate the status quo. And then Starlord, which I'm afraid baffled me. Nice art though.

As for the other bits, great to again see the amazing Lego creations in the Prog, and I enjoyed the thoughts of creators, offering their take on a top moment from the Prog's history. I thought I'd find that stuff dull, but would have happily read another two pages.

TordelBack

Saved this one for the St Stephen's Day lull, such as it was, and for once I have to agree with the 'death of comics' crowd: I found it rather paled in comparison with the kids' console games and Lego robots. I certainly found the bearded Han Solo in Battlefront II more compelling than Langley's overfamiliar parade of peanut gallery gurners. MVP was Deadworld (again), with more drokked-up eschatological misery and an intriguing new angle, and I enjoyed the Ace Trucking for the lovely evolution of Dobbyn's style.  Everything else seemed to want me to care about things I just didn't.

But picking through it again today, there was more to like than dislike.  I bounced off Brass Sun the first time, fighting incipient memory loss, but second time through things came back to me and I stopped wishing it was Brink and enjoyed it.  I also fell (probably foolishly,) for the luscious visuals of Bad Company yet again, and the possibility that Truth, while a casualty last time out, was only wounded.

Sadly Dredd remained more of the same, a wounded Dredd and New Judge Character wandering about somewhere far away from the City towards a last-page reveal of some historical nugget from a better tale.  Pretty to look at though.  Savage, often a favourite of mine, seemed to pick up straight away from last time, when I was sort of hoping for something different than a reprise of the Spotify-enabled Bill Daak, Transformer Killer.

Fungus

Felt tempted to pick up the bumper prog in Smith's but stuck with digital only...

Have struggled since the last jump-on (2050) - notable exception: Absalom - so hoped for better things and did enjoy it. Thrills that normally don't were more enjoyable than expected (more accessible I guess? That's my level... :) ).

Special mentions for Ace Trucking and Deadworld. I've loved every Ace tale since its risky return, Robson's fun script hits the perfect fun note. Deadworld was the standout strip, it's made me want to give the past books another try. The murky, zombie silliness isn't for me but this self-contained character portrait made me care about this place, suddenly. Wonderful.

Tharg's teasing of new Thrills is welcome. They're definitely needed, and personally I'd welcome some new concepts in 2018. Misses are fine too, try some things out and see what sticks. Way harder than it sounds, but we're allowed a wish-list at Christmas, eh?

sheridan

Quote from: Robin Low on 18 December, 2017, 06:55:01 PM
Anyway, the Wiki article on the Pirates also led to an interesting group called The White Rose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rose

I'm guessing Uncle Pat wouldn't be so interested in this group, as they had an academic background and religious sentiments, and weren't rebellious working class kids.
See, what I think of when I see 'White Rose' is 'White Rose Movement', a British punk and (which I thought had links with New Model Army / Justin Sullivan, but I can't find anything about that at the moment).

If anyone wants to point me to a good reference or two on the deliberate mass starvation of the German civilian population, I'd be interested.
Robin
I see others have talked about that later in the thread, but I had heard of serious proposals among certain parts of the allied political high command of the 1940s to destroy Germany through means of sterilisation of the current populace and division of the land to surrounding states.