Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

I liked 'Inferno' so I guess I'm in the minority. To further lower my credibility, I don't hold 'America' in high regard as most people. It's a good story but certainly not the best, IMO.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

IndigoPrime

I think Crusade's been confirmed as being in the collection, sadly. As for Inferno, it has a certain brainless quality to it, but it felt close in nature to the OTT Heavy Metal Dredd that I also didn't care for than the smarter stuff Wagner penned. Plus Morrison clearly didn't give a crap about anything to do with the strip's history. But, yeah, decent art, for the most part, which'll be a saving grace. (Plus, hopefully it'll be twinned with something good when the subs parcel arrives.)

robert_ellis

Finally found a copy of Target:Judge Dredd. A great mix of stories - I didn't realise how often Stan lee had returned and lovely to see early Ben Willsher. The Garth Ennis stuff seemed dragged out for what seemed a very straight forward story. The Mark Millar one here seemed "off" but at least a break from watching Dredd beat up perps fuelled by rage. I think this series has so far been pretty much perfect for lapsed readers like myself - something old, something new...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: robert_ellis on 11 November, 2015, 10:13:39 PM
I didn't realise how often Stan lee had returned...

He came back again for a Shimura story.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 November, 2015, 03:18:53 PM
I think Crusade's been confirmed as being in the collection, sadly.

Seriously?  Why?  I mean, is this a story that has any redeeming features?  Austin's art is okay but goes nowhere towards redeeming a part of Dredd history that should be expunged from memory.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 November, 2015, 06:02:47 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 November, 2015, 03:18:53 PM
I think Crusade's been confirmed as being in the collection, sadly.

Seriously?  Why?

Because they have to fill up 80 volumes?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Tjm86

With the best part of forty years worth of Dredd it is not going to be difficult to fill 80 volumes.  In fact the challenge is going to be deciding which of the best is going to be left out.  Sorry but I find it difficult to justify the inclusion of what is generally considered dross in a 'mega collection' that is supposed to showcase the best.

abelardsnazz

Enjoyed Target JD for the most part, although the Jonni Kiss stuff felt flat and drawn out script-wise. Stan Lee will always have a place in Dredd history for besting the lawman, Hitman was a great follow-up to Oz and Missing was quality all the way. Given recent comments, I liked the Millar story more than I thought I would, with the moon projection making me laugh out loud. Maybe he's best taken in small doses.

TordelBack

Apestrife

Read Dead man and Target JD yesterday.

Dead man worked better than I thought it would. While "skipping" Necropolis, I think Nightmares bridges over it nicely, leaving it as it's own story. Leaving the dead man book to focus on Dredd's guilt, which he then copes with by letting the people to decide for him (which he probably knew would work in the judges' favor).
Also by not revealing much on what happened to Kraken, I think it'll make Necropolis quite effective in that sense. Besides some gutter loss swallowing some captions, I think Dead man was brilliant in every way.

Target JD was quite fun. A bunch of stories that also needs a home. "Stan Lee" still made me chuckle, Hitman to. Really liked the breakdown of the times Dredd got beat in the end of the book. Btw, if "nip" was a problem in Our man in Hondo, then perhaps "slant" is in this book. A judge calling Stan Lee a slant in art of geomancy felt a bit off.

Regardless, can't wait till next month and Trifecta :) Really hope it'll include the heart is s lonely Klegg hunter.

abelardsnazz

Full details of titles, volume and issue numbers of volumes 1-25 have been added to the Facebook and Wikipedia pages. Speculationabounds.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 November, 2015, 09:58:43 AMWith the best part of forty years worth of Dredd it is not going to be difficult to fill 80 volumes.  In fact the challenge is going to be deciding which of the best is going to be left out.  Sorry but I find it difficult to justify the inclusion of what is generally considered dross in a 'mega collection' that is supposed to showcase the best.
Careful. Comments like that and you'll get some weirdo stalker repeatedly emailing you out of the blue, to the point you have to block them at the server level.

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 November, 2015, 11:33:44 AM

Careful. Comments like that and you'll get some weirdo stalker repeatedly emailing you out of the blue, to the point you have to block them at the server level.

Sounds like you've been having fun recently then!

dweezil2

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 November, 2015, 11:33:44 AM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 November, 2015, 09:58:43 AMWith the best part of forty years worth of Dredd it is not going to be difficult to fill 80 volumes.  In fact the challenge is going to be deciding which of the best is going to be left out.  Sorry but I find it difficult to justify the inclusion of what is generally considered dross in a 'mega collection' that is supposed to showcase the best.

I really miss my stalker on the IMDb Dredd page!

I felt we shared a special connection-apart from all that, kill yourself, the world would be a better place..etc!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Hawkmumbler