Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

It's a very small thing, but this little article has endeared me to Nick Clegg a little. Personally it's a pet-hate of mine when politicians try to reference Susan Boyle or the Arctic Monkeys to appear to be cool and in touch with the public when we all know they aren't - it was bad enough when Blair did it, full-on excruciating when Brown or Cameron attempt it.

QuoteLiberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg has admitted that he is not a fan of the UK's soaps.

The politician made his confession in an interview with the Radio Times after being asked whether he enjoyed Coronation Street, EastEnders, The Bill or The Archers.

Clegg replied: "I don't watch or listen to any of these, I'm afraid."

Meanwhile, when asked to pick a favourite out of X Factor judges Simon Cowell, Cheryl Cole, Dannii Minogue and Louis Walsh, the 43-year-old said: "None of the above."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/news/a215400/nick-clegg-i-dont-watch-soaps.html

Christov

That may be because Clegg is actually a human being instead of being an alien from planet politics.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: Christov on 24 April, 2010, 03:57:06 PM
That may be because Clegg is actually a human being instead of being an alien from planet politics.

I'm not sure of that, dude... I think he's pretty much a tentacle-spewing monstrostity from Planet Politics, just like the others. His PR people are just a little more shrewd, perhaps...   

House of Usher

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 24 April, 2010, 07:33:00 PM
I think he's pretty much a tentacle-spewing monstrostity from Planet Politics, just like the others. His PR people are just a little more shrewd, perhaps...  

Have a read of his wikipedia entry?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Clegg
STRIKE !!!

vzzbux

A quick peruse of Clegg's Wiki, I am disappointed that there is no mention of Cal or his fellow mercenaries. That's bloody spin for you.

VNP
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: House of Usher on 24 April, 2010, 09:09:24 PM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 24 April, 2010, 07:33:00 PM
I think he's pretty much a tentacle-spewing monstrostity from Planet Politics, just like the others. His PR people are just a little more shrewd, perhaps...  

Have a read of his wikipedia entry?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Clegg

From wikipedia:

He recently supported "liberal interventionism", arguing that the "unjustified invasion of Iraq" should not weaken support for this. He expressed that there should be more emphasis on a more humanitarian foreign policy.

Come on now, Mr Clegg. Liberal interventionism?

Just a new spin on an old, nasty habit.

Any you wonder why I distrust these people?!

House of Usher

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 24 April, 2010, 11:24:17 PM
He recently supported "liberal interventionism", arguing that the "unjustified invasion of Iraq" should not weaken support for this. He expressed that there should be more emphasis on a more humanitarian foreign policy.

Heh. Notice only 6 words of that is direct quotation, and four of those words are "unjustified invasion of Iraq."

As I understand it, the alternative to both military imperialism and 'liberal interventionism' is laissez-faire: put simply, 'what do we care what one bunch of foreigners does to another? Let them all die.'

What I meant by introducing that link is that it gives an idea of his sympathies, his qualifications and his previous employment.
STRIKE !!!

vzzbux

The invasion of Iraq was justified. America sold Saddam the WMD's. They are there its just Iraq is a big place to bury them, needle in a haystack comes to mind.
I think they were so sure they would find them almost straight away.

I don't know why I am posting this here but ah well.

VNP
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Legendary Shark

The invasion of Iraq is about nothing more or less than money. It's not just about war profiteering or stealing oil, it's about a whole new market for Coca~Cola and Prozac. The Middle East is full of consumers who just aren't consuming enough, dammit, and we've got simply gigatons of cool, pointless shite we can sell them.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

House of Usher

Quote from: vzzbux on 25 April, 2010, 12:00:38 AM
I don't know why I am posting this here but ah well.

I don't know either, but you may as well. The more the merrier; what the heck.

I think HOO-HAA and I are agreed that the invasion of Iraq was unjustified (even if you disagree, Vzzbux), but he seems to be saying we should stay out of other people's business (including Mugabe's murderous rampage in Zimbabwe?), whereas I think that 'liberal intervention' is fair enough, as keeping your options open goes.

My own view of Iraq is that political considerations (i.e. propping up secular dictatorship in the middle east) took precedence over justice and held George Bush Sr. back from helping America's allies remove Saddam Hussein from power in the first Gulf War. 10 years on is too late to decide you didn't get the result you wanted from a war you already fought and won. You can't go back again for another go because your actions were unprincipled last time.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Famous Liberal interventionists include GHW Bush,GWBush,Bill Clinton,Tony Blair,and Gordon Brown among others.

So what this translates to is prime ministers and presidents of elected non-representative govts using their respective military capabilities to further the geopolitical agenda of the Bilderberg Group and the Council of Foreign Relations etc etc and Globalist/Internationalist interests and the interests of mercantile bankers like Rothschilds etc so really it is Imperialism.

If you realise this you realise why Nick Clegg says "Unjustified invasion of Iraq" should not weaken support for this".

Its all about trying to justify wars and invasions and selling them on the grounds that there are moral reasons for them or resorting to war for moral purposes especially if the pretext for those wars or invasions or bombing campaigns is false as it was in Kosovo and Iraq and most probably Iran.Its also at the very least arguable that the pretext to invading Iraq was false but its fact that the necessity of the UK having to neutralise SH because of alleged WMDs was overstated to say the very least.

So Nick clegg is just another interchangable empty suit.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

The Bilderberg Group, yesterday:

STRIKE !!!

HOO-HAA

Quote from: House of Usher on 25 April, 2010, 12:14:50 AM
I think HOO-HAA and I are agreed that the invasion of Iraq was unjustified (even if you disagree, Vzzbux), but he seems to be saying we should stay out of other people's business (including Mugabe's murderous rampage in Zimbabwe?), whereas I think that 'liberal intervention' is fair enough, as keeping your options open goes.

Invasion of another's country is never, ever about 'helping out', Usher - not in my experience. As Peter says, governments and politicians often try to put some kind of moral spin on their actions, but it usually boils down to cash and land and key territory regarding military strategy. Just take a little peek at Tony Blair's oil portfolio, following the Iraq war.

Zimbabwee does come up quite a bit in debates for interventionism, but I don't think invasion would help those folks out. It would most likely cause more unrest. People are best left to sort their own business out, from both a moral and pragmatic perspective - and they are more likely to sort it out quicker and more efficiently. That said, I do appreciate how horrible it is to watch thugs like Mugabee in action. However, trade sanctions and other non-aggressive action may seem more effective means to bring him back into line.

House of Usher

Very reasonably put. However, I don't think it's fair to judge Nick Clegg by Tony Blair's actions. My interest in the LibDems is predominantly down to their domestic policies. Foreign policy doesn't interest me very much; I'm just keen that we should be allies with nice countries, condemn horrible ones and exploit trading opportunities with the ones in between.

Edit - P.S. I don't think a government Nick Clegg has any say in would go needlessly starting wars all over the place because there's a greater imperative to try and cut spending.
STRIKE !!!