Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

I always find it weird that Prince of Darkness is often referred to as one of Carpenter's bad films, I'm a huge fan of it. I find it incredibly creepy and intense (and my other half maintains PoD and [REC] are the most scared she's ever been by a film). Also has one of my favourite Carpenter scores (the theme is fantastic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFb0XzoOZhk).

For me it captures the sense of being besieged in a situation that keeps on getting more intense (for want of a better description, the Night of The Living Dead thing) better than almost any film out there. I can totally see how watching it in a certain mood it might come across as very hokey, but personally it's always scared the bejeezus out of me!

Went to see it in a church once and the people there who hadn't seen it were absolutely terrified, which was fun.

Mattofthespurs

Not-very-good compared to Carpenter's other films.

I'm a massive JC fan (the director not the Son of God) and compared to Halloween, The Thing, The Fog, Escape From New York and Christine (a controversial choice I admit) Prince of Darkness is B rate. I rate the rest A. I have the 4k discs of The Fog, Escape From New York and They Live (another B rate film of his for me) yet to watch.

I would happily watch Carpenter's movies over most, I rate him that much. Prince of Darkness is fun but much of the acting is poor and he badly misses Dean Cundey imo.

Still looks fucking marvellous on 4k though. I saw it at the cinema in '88 (we didn't get it until then) and then VHS, DVD and blu ray but this presentation blows them all away.

Mattofthespurs

And in regards to the theme; I found it quite intrusive in the film but very good on it's own on the CD.

I think it's overused in the movie itself.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 February, 2019, 05:03:33 PM

For me it captures the sense of being besieged in a situation that keeps on getting more intense

Which he did miles better in Assault on Precinct 19 (another A+ film from Carpenter for me)

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 February, 2019, 05:03:33 PM
Went to see it in a church once and the people there who hadn't seen it were absolutely terrified, which was fun.

That sounds cool. According to one of the extras on the disc they still hold showings of the film in the theatre which once was the church in the movie.

Greg M.

At no point in Assault on Precinct 13 does Alice Cooper impale anyone with a bicycle.

von Boom

Quote from: Greg M. on 13 February, 2019, 05:36:09 PM
At no point in Assault on Precinct 13 does Alice Cooper impale anyone with a bicycle.
And it's the poorer for it.

Greg M.

von Boom

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 13 February, 2019, 05:30:39 PM
They Live (another B rate film of his for me)

You wound me, sir. Wound me. If you say anything untoward about Big Trouble in Little China I think my head may explode.

Mattofthespurs

BTILC...

Yeah, it's a B movie. And it wears it well.

And Alice Cooper, in a non speaking role, fucking ruins those scenes. Because it's Alice Cooper. And that bike scene. Well, it's plain shit. Pandering to the Fangoria crowd. Good JC would never have done that. Never.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Greg M. on 13 February, 2019, 05:36:09 PM

But you do have a child shot in the head at an ice cream van.

Much, much better.

Greg M.

Don't get me wrong, I think Assault on Precinct 13 is a superb film. But, to borrow a familiar phrase: "Hello... hello... I've got a message for you and you're not going to like it..." - Prince of Darkness is also a superb film. They're just very different, despite the superficial similarities of the 'under siege' set up. The former takes a simple premise and milks it for every ounce of tension available, whereas Prince of Darkness keeps on throwing in crazy new quantum curveballs which nonetheless fit perfectly with the main premise (and within Carpenter's much loved 'Rio Bravo' framework.) It's an imaginative tour de force of Grand Guignol glory (by way of some serious Nigel Kneale worship) blessed with endlessly quotable dialogue, and a lot of clever, eerie little moments to counterpoint the madness. (The bit with the disappearing playing card must be one of the sharpest.)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 February, 2019, 12:55:55 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 11 February, 2019, 09:22:16 AM
Heathers
I have a real soft spot for high school films and I hadn't seen this one since the 90s.
It's much funnier than I remember but the satire is pretty dark. I wonder how modern audiences would react to its theme of teen murder and social justice. I can see why they never show it on TV!
Definitely worth a watch. Winona Ryder and Christian Slater both give good performances – as do the Heathers who are all absolutely vile.

I was just thinking the other day I must get around to watching this again. One of my favourite filsm back in the day but haven't seen it in years. Good to hear it holds up.

So took a detour on my Apes trip to make good on this and very glad I did I enjoyed it. Sure its dated in some ways but in others remains entirely timeless and its funny as all hell as well as being a wonderfully sharp satire.

The only problem I think I'd conflated its soundtrack with 'Pump Up the Volume'. Which isn't a problem in itself as I think the actual soundtrack was perfect for this film BUT means I now want to check out that movie as well and I'm not sure that will hold up!

radiator

For a modern take on Heathers, check out Thoroughbreds. It's a little different in tone and much lighter on the humour, but has a similar feel at times.

I, Cosh

I actually think we've had this exact conversation before! Prince of Darkness is the second last great Carpenter film for me and probably my favourite of his overt horrors. Except The Thing, obviously.
We never really die.