Main Menu

Missionary Man - Anyone want to see him return?

Started by Michael Knight, 22 June, 2017, 12:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

Missionary Man was one of the first stories of Dredd's World that made me acquire missing back issues etc to see what I missed. Always loved the stories and artwork by all involved. Massive fan of Gordon Rennies work in particular.
Any of you good folk long for its return or are you happy the way it last wrapped up?

Myself id like to see it return, but I'm biased in that I love the Western 'Cursed Earth' stories and I'm already happy to hear of Cursed Earth Koburn coming back. Be cool to see him, Missionary man and Dredd meet up. Anyone think this be cool?

IndigoPrime

If Rennie wants to revisit, fine. If not, let the character be. I'm already a bit hmm about Devlin Waugh passing to another writer. (For some reason, I'm less fussed about Koburn.)

Dark Jimbo

I really like the fact that he had a proper ending, to be honest. I'd rather leave it there I think - you've still got Koburn and Lawless to satisfy your 'Dreddverse wild west' itch!
@jamesfeistdraws

Steve Green

Michael Knight

Steve Green mate I've literally only the other week started reading 'Angelic' as I'm bit behind continuity at mo, but I'm really enjoying this so far. Without giving away climax has this been a popular series with you good people, as in enough to justify more of this?

Steve Green

Hi,

yes people seem to like it, there have been 2 series so far, not sure when it's returning though.

Michael Knight

Cheers for info Steve, I think I'm gonna do an epic catch-up on this tonight! I'm a bit behind but the Prog and Meg are in great health from where I'm at.

AlexF

I liked Missionary Man more as it went on but I never rally loved it. The final series was an odd one but I think it ended well enough not to need to return. Having an aged Preacher Cain turn up one day in anotehr series (maybe even Koburn or Dredd) might be fun but I can't say I'm begging for more Bible thumping/death dealing comics.

Angelic, on the other hand, I badly want more of! Especially if we get a new version of the Fink out of it. Lee Carter drawing a Cursed Earth ghoul would be phenomenal, and Rennie does a great line in the necessary horrible/comedy tone.

Max Headroom

As I haven't been buying the Mega Collection, what I would really like to see is a hardcover deluxe edition of all Missionary Man's stories in one volume. (And then maybe a continuation of his stories).

Colin YNWA

I loved Missionary Man and dispite Gordon, particularly during Alex Ronald's time on the strip. His art was just glorious and perfectly suited Gordon's tight, dark series.

Have to be honest I've never read the final story as it languishes in Meg's I don't own so can't comment on wanting more, but very glad we have the stories we do.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 June, 2017, 09:43:41 PM
I loved Missionary Man and dispite Gordon, particularly during Alex Ronald's time on the strip. His art was just glorious and perfectly suited Gordon's tight, dark series.

I like that particular run of Missionary Man a lot and Alex's art is glorious – my favourite interpretation of Texas-City Judges.

marko10174

Have all the missionary man stories been collected in print? if so, what order would you collect the GN's in? thanks. Sounds like a fascinating character.